microsoft holds patent on ipod!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I would not worry about it. The idea of a presure pad has been around for a long time, and so has the push to click rotating dial.

The current trend for rich companies appears to be to apply for as many patents as they can, even when the idea is not new or unique. They can then harass smaller companies with the bogus patents, driving them out of the market with legal costs.

It works.

Daniel

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Microsoft seems to patent things so that they don't get sued. AFAIK they very very rarely use their patents to sue others. The biggest example I know of is when they sued for "Lindows" to have a slight name change. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I could of course be wrong, but I think if I am right that it is a good way to be. If you can afford it, patent everything. That way nobody can sue you!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
the patent will be easily revoked, you see there is prior art in the form of the iPod itself which was released before MS applied for the patent on the technology /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It's like if you see something cool that another company is already doing, realize that the patent office is so stupid that they will let you patent something already out there being done by literally dozens of companies, so you apply in secret and somehow get it through!

Just goes to show how completely useless the patent office is right now. If MS had really wanted to eat Apple's lunch they would have COPYRIGHTED the interface /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Even if the patent office sticks to their guns, Apple and MS have a long history of cross licensing their patents. There wont be any serious fallout over this.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patents are becoming quite insane...

Anyone think that US Patent #6,360,693 for a STICK would be denied based on prior art?

[ QUOTE ]
United States Patent 6,360,693
Long, III March 26, 2002
Animal toy

Abstract

An apparatus for use as a toy by an animal, for example a dog, to either fetch carry or chew includes a main section with at least one protrusion extending therefrom that resembles a branch in appearance. The toy is formed of any of a number of materials including rubber, plastic, or wood including wood composites and is solid. It is either rigid or flexible. A flavoring (scent) is added, if desired. The toy is adapted to float by including a material therein that is lighter than water or it is adapted to glow in the dark, as desired, by the addition of a fluorescent material that is either included in the material from which the toy is made or the flourescent material is applied thereto as a coating. The toy may be segmented (i.e., notched) so as to break off into smaller segments, as is useful for smaller animals or, alternatively, to extend the life of the toy. Various textured surfaces including camouflage colorings are anticipated as are straight or curved main sections. The toy may be formed of any desired material, as described, so as to be edible by the animal.

Inventors: Long, III; Ross Eugene (4732 Reinhardt Dr., Oakland, CA 94619)
Appl. No.: 454229
Filed: December 2, 1999

[/ QUOTE ]

-Bill

Geologist

Enlightened
Re: microsoft holds patent on ipod! and this

I wish MS would patent toliet paper so all TP companies would have to print Microsoft on each sheet and then I could wipe my A%% everyday with another gift from Microsoft....