luxeon reflectors for car-headlights-like beam

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
does exist some type of reflectors or optics that can be used for example on a bicycle on the road that don't blind the other cars?

the beam must be flat on the ground (not round) and with no spill. like cars headlights

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect that this would be the job of the lens. Here in America, some traffic lights use a lens by 3M. It is designed so that only those who are viewing it head-on can see it illuminated; if you are even 20 degrees (my estimate) off-axis (any axis), the green, amber, or red lamp appears dark.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Carclo linear beam optics may be something like what you are looking for, at least in terms of LEDs.... I keep meaning to build a prototype bicycle light with them and test it, but I keep getting sidetracked.
(Besides, it has been raining nearly constantly for the last week and I don't like riding in the rain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

For incandescent bulbs, I think Carley makes some elipsoid reflectors and /or reflector/lamp assemblies.

Carclo has the 20mm diameter 6 degree X 25degree optic and a 26.5 mm diameter 4 degree X 25 degree optic..

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
those lenses that you can't see 'off-axis' are 'fresnel' (frenel) lenses.. i have seen some fresnel lenses for luxeon.. typically the very tight focus optics.

-awr

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
the Carlco optics are good, the important thing is that the drivers that come in front of me can't see directly the emitter for not be blinded, they can do that?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
David, I believe you will have to experiment. Can you take the housing and reflector from a car or motorcycle light, use that? In stores here I can buy small fog lights that are meant to be added to an existing car. Could you take one of those and put in some Luxeons?

If you use several small Luxeons it may be less blinding that one big one.

Also, the angle you mount your light at will be important, just as with the lights of a car. I think you have a good project here, please let us know how you do it.

markus_i

Enlightened
Use the optics (reflector and lens) from a (good) incandescent bike light. Pictures (not from my setup - I'll have to set up a photo page some day...) and descriptions (in German) can be found e.g. here .

Bye
Markus