Am I the "opposite" of a torch "collector" ??

Perfectionist

Enlightened
As much as I love to see the pics of the huge collections some (most!) of you guys have gathered .... I can't really understand why you do it !! (and I'm a CPF member ffs! :))

For the sake of your marriages and childrens college funds .... I will reveal my personal buying methodology and hopefully you will see the light in not having so many lights :)

After much personal anguish and torture, I have quantified 5 catagories of torches that I GENUINELY want, sorry NEED :) with their respective performance/size/specifications .... then I sell on and replace each torch when (and ONLY when!) a better version appears that fits into one of these catagories .....

Basically, my quest is for the Best !! (not the Most, or the Latest, or the entire range in every differant colour !!)

I long NOT to have the greatest number of torches ..... but as few as possible !!!!!! A collector in reverse ??? !!! :)

I find this to actually enhance my irrational love of these crazy little things !!

To stay in pursuit of the few true Holy Grail, Perfect flashlights is invigorating and exciting :) ..... and also keeps me from sleeping on the couch :D

Here's my paltry "collection" for you all to scoff at :)

In catagorical order :)

1) Key Chain = must be tiny + usefully bright + kinda cool = Photon Freedom Max + SL Keymate for the wife :)

2) EDC = most highly prized catagory of all :) = small + super bright + good runtime + loaded with features + eternally practical + MEGA cool to impress everyone who (accidentally on purpose!) sees it :) = HDS Ultimate (soon to be LRI Proton ..... hopefully !)

3 ) Home = kept in a drawer for emergencies = used rarely but must be totally dependable + easy to "fuel" = NightStar 2 StarCore (honestly, it isn't that bad a light!)

4) Car = cheap no-brand cigarette lighter plug in LED torch I got from a Chainstore !! (my attendance to Flashaholics Anonymous is paying off!)

5) FUN !! = ok, I haven't quite killed the CPFer in me (although he has been tamed!) = my favourite catagory :D = has to be unique + innovative + wow factor + so darned cool I wake up in the middle of the night just to "play" with it :D = ORB Raw in Sterling Silver with Tritium

OK ....... after a small spending spree ...... I need to add a couple more catagories :D

6) Emergency = kept on bedside + easy to locate + very robust + very long runtime + cheap enough to keep a whole bunch all over the house/car/garage = PALights :)

7) Backup = good all rounder to be used in case any of the others get lost or run out of juice etc ? = Fenix 2.5 :)

My total budget for all the above is :-
Keys = max £ 50
EDC = max £ 250
Home = max £ 50
Car = max £ 50
FUN = max £ "screw it, whatever my Credit Card limit is" :D - ok max £500 :)
Emergency = max £50 for 10 :)
Back-Up = max £50

My total spend on all the above comes in far below my total budget at not much more than £400 - in fact, as I ebay all the torches I "upgrade" and have made back about £100 profit on those sales ..... I reckon in a few years my little "hobby" will have broken even !! :D

Please feel free to flame away if you must !!

I am only trying to show there is light at the end of the tunnel !!!

If nothing else I hope this has shed some light on a new perspective to being a CPFer !!!

...... now ..... if only I could control my addiction to Knives, Watches, Fountain Pens etc etc etc ......... :D :D :D

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: Am I the \"opposite\" of a torch \"collector\" ??

Well I certainly respect your methodology and control! I myself have been trying to come up with some sort of "plan" to stick to. It started by selling off a few ARC AAAs & LSs (kept a few "backups" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and it's moved on to some other lights. I really need to attack the "herd" of SureFire E2e/KL1s and MiniMags with sandwiches & other drop-ins that I've purchased the last few years!

I just ordered a U2 and need to sell off a few to justify those funds - that's one way to reduce the numbers and yet get a nice torch in return. I'm hoping I'm to the point where I won't buy a new light without selling one or more to "recycle" those funds!!

But to keep 5? ONLY 5??? NO WAY could I do that...nope, not even gonna' think about 5!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

I try to get the most use out of my semi-limited number of lights. Why have 3 of something when 1 does all three jobs. Thats my thinking (and being a full time college student with a part time job doesn't help with funding much) but on CPF, it is safe to say, not everyone does that. I drool too looking at some people's collection pictures. To get it out of the way, most people on CPF have more flashlights on their EDC than most people do in their whole life time.

I am not good with the pound, but will try to keep it with in budget. 1 USD = .55 pounds, gonna work with that.

Keys - currently I have an Arc AAA, I will replace this with the CR2 Ion (well 98% sure of that.)

EDC - Surefire U2/Longbow Micra (I will retire my Longbow Micra as soon as I get a replacement 1 cell light, thinking HDS light.)

Home - Surefire U2/M6, U2 for night time navigation, M6 for bumps in the night. (got a Inova X5T in the kithcen draw and an Ultra G sitting on my dresser.)

Car - Inova 24/7 with headband and a Tigerlight in the glove box.

Fun - hmm, my 2C Mag mod (cammed PMR, 9 volt bulb, battery holder, and UCL lens.)

Wait, I am a bit confused, are you buying new lights? or selling your current lights? or making a point?

I do what works for me, got two lights that I really want to get, an HDS light or similar to replace my Longbow Micra, and a CR2 Ion to replace my Arc AAA. I don't collect, I use (well I do keep some because they are important to me, like my Streamlight Scorpion because it was my 1st CR123, and my Micra because it lived through a war.)

I can say much about pens because I use Pilot G-2's and papermate 99 cents for a dozen ones (lose them often.) For watches, get a Tag Heuer and a Rolex and call it a done deal. I just got into knives too, I carry a Emerson folder.

CPF is not about who has the most, who has the most expensive, its about shedding light out of a dark situation (IMHO.) Better to have a light than none at all (and well sometimes to safe guard the light in situations where it'll cause more harm than good.)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: Am I the \

Sorry, Perfectionist, you've been /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned2.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tend to agree with your views, and would probably only get as many torches as I need. But this is only because of budget constraints and also to save myself the ache of having to choose which torch to use!

Like when I was deciding between the Z2, 6P and Pelican M6 (cheapest and brightest), I couldn't resist just paying extra for the frills and got the Z2. Now I still have the urge to buy the Pelican M6, but I'm avoiding it cuz I'm afraid I mite like it better than my Z2.

Both are about 5 inch lites and have similar characteristics, so I don't think I'll ever need to have to switch between them other than by choice. To save myself the ache, I'll just not buy the M6 I guess. haha..

So just like u, I'll prob buy just 1 light for each category, to save money and also save the problem of choosing :p

The only "worthy" light I have now is the Z2, the rest are all random, brandless lights but these are the categories I have lights/would like to get lights :-

Computer table - Pen torch for checking my PC's internals now and then

Bedside/EDC - My Z2

Kitchen - A 2D light

Car - Need to get something, but currently my Z2 follows me there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif One light for internal/engine bay checking, and maybe one spotlight for external shinin'.

Keychain - Maglite Solitaire (boring, but it was a free gift). Used to have a brandless LED. Planning to get a Peak LED Mckinley or if feeling rich, a Caribbean.

Collecting/Coolness - Arc LS or Gladius

Can't think of anything else at the moment....

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bravo for reminding family men that their first obligation is to their family. I need that reminder.

Like you, I try to limit the number of lights I own to about five. I keep acquiring lights because I keep finding "better" ones, each below $100. As I acquire a better one (brighter for its size, cheaper to operate, or whatever), I sell or give away a lesser light.

My most shameless addiction was the cheap Chinese multi-LED 1AA lights. At about $5 apiece, I would keep these in my belt pouch to hand out to children who appeared bored or agitated, or who had just done a good deed. I just gave away the last of these to relatives, and I now issue $1 squeezies from Lighthound.com.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

I need that reminder as well.

Unfortunately my flashaholism manifests itself in long battles against the impulse to buy whatever is currently being discussed here on CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Eventually the thrill of instant gratification wins out and I buy this or that. The Inova T4 was that way, as were the two SL ProPoly Lux lights that I just bought.

And 50% of the time I get the light, play with is a little and then realize I really don't need it - it's just $50 to $200 sitting in a drawer.

So lately I have have slimmed my arsenal, err collection, down to:

- A number of emergency and utility lights (4 ProPolymer LED/Lux, a handful of AA Lux/LED lights and an LED-retrofited Ray-O-Vac 2D swivel head)
- A few reasonable throwers (Lux3 PR-T, SL Scorpion, SL TL-3 and Mag LuxV)
- A few EDCs (E2e, CNC-123, Arc AAA)
- A few "fun" lights (Inova X5T Red, Lux3 R/O sammich in a MM, etc)
- A few more lights for the cars (currently listed in another thread)

OK, so maybe it's not that small. I guess there is still at least $800 worth of lights there... Well, I guess at least I'm not as bad as others here on CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon

PeterW

Enlightened

Another person with my philosophy!
I ahve an ArcAAA on the keychain. Either a miniminimag or now a Q3 as the pocket light and a McLux flood or SpaceNeedle for throw.
I have a few homebrew headlights for when you want to have your hands free.
A multilevel EDC light would be 'nice' as would a super long life light for emergencies.

Cheers

PEterW

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened

Dinky, cute (whether large or small) lights are ok, but unless you use them, why bother... OK, I'm guilty of a few more lights than I need, but I do use them all on rotation, some more than others!

Prolepsis

Enlightened

I like to have backups for my lights in each category, and then backups for those backups.

Though I see your point--there isn't really a need, as it is more of a want. I have been trimming my collection slowly and really trying to buy only lights that I will use or really like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Have in the past year really started to like high powered lights--there isn't really a need for those. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Re: Am I the \

I should mention that this "minimalist" approach has only begun recently .... :D

Before I "needed" to have the entire range of any brand of flashlight, almost like I was collecting Football stickers and had to have every one to fully complete my sticker album !! :)

Somehow though once I had the final piece of one jigsaw, I always managed to find another jigsaw and started all over again !!!

It never ceased to amaze even me how I could keep finding ways to justify each purchase !!

Naturally I need two torches for every room in the house, including the toilet !!

One more for the car glove box .... another for the car boot .... another for the backseat of the car .... another for reading maps in the car .... another in case we were abducted by aliens .... while in the car ..... :D :D

I'm glad I've somehow avoided drugs ..... cos I would be a textbook junkie !!

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have more than 5 lights because I need to fulfill more catagories.

Keychain Peak 3 LED HO Snow29 lihtium AAA

EDC Peak Mediterranean 2AA body (NiMH)

Home Modded Mag 2D regulated R2H Luxeon

Car Inova X5

Emergency Inova X5

Work
8AA nFlex WX1S variable output modded Mag with Luxeon V LED
Lambda MicroIlluminator R3J Luxeon AAA

Deployed work
Peak 5 LED AA, one with red, one with UV
Arc AAA red LED, Arc AA

Bicycle helmet light
Badboy 500mA current regulated minimag mod with R2H Luxeon LED

Wife/kids bicycle lighting
Aurora 2AA Nichia Jupiter

Wife's purse light
Peak 5 snow LED brass with lithium AA

The four bicycle lights come into play during power outages as do my EDC lights. The Aurora "blue moon" color makes it a great and very noticable long throwing bike light. It works OK when bouncing the bluish light off the ceiling during outages.

I have 17 lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif Take out the four deployment lights (storage), remove the four wife/kids lights and take out my bicycle helmet light. That leaves eight lights left. I guess I can take out the two work lights and spare keychain light leaving me only five lights.

I am more a torch "user" instead of collector.

aceo07

Enlightened
I have an Inova XO to replace my maglite 2AA. I got a Nuwai Q3 for a friend and then one for myself afterwards. Then I bought a HDS EDC U60 to replace the Q3 I lost during hiking. To replace the home maglite 3D, I bought a Streamlight Propolymer 3C Luxeon.

That should be all I need. Oh yea, I also have a Nuwai Luxeon Headlamp for camping.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. This is indeed the opposite of a collector. And I think it makes good sense.

For myself, I tend to mostly do this, but also to add a bit of the collecting mindset as well. For example, I have been fighting recently between the minimalist and collectors sides of myself. I have both an A2 and an L2, and they really are too much of an overlap, but the L2 is just such a nice light, and the one I have has a perfect tint luxeon (for my tastes) and it is an older four-square-sides body, and is a good-match HA, and so on. So I keep putting off selling it. Right now the excuse is that I need to keep it until I do my review and comparison of the A2 and L2. But another excuse will surely come along once that one goes away.

Eh. Point is, for the most part, I completely agree with your method and mostly use it myself. I don't have that many lights either. But on the other hand, some are part of my "collection": Arc AAA, Arc LSH, etc. Even if I buy newer and better lights that serve the same funciton as these, I won't sell them or stop using them.

Goran

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a collector and actually never owned anything more than the average no name/no price lights that I seldom used at all.

Only after going more into hiking/climbing I started to think about some good lights...

My "dream setup" would be something like Perfectionist's one.
EDC HDS Ultimate (or basic) 60 - That is probably the most important. It just came to my mind that somewhere (like some places India, and I love the Himalayas) you can get robed easily if not careful so I'm much happier with a state of the art light in my pocket than having something too expensive stored anywhere where it could be taken.

For the field I would use the HTE-1 or something much cheaper like the UK q40 or a streamlight propolymer.

A long life led light or something like the streamlight 24/7 or the eternallights and eventually something small and long lasting for the emergency/ survival/ medical kit.

----------------
Hmm it seems that flashocholism is getting to me from this forum, objectively two lights can do all the job.

A small backup like the Infinity ultra and the HTE-1 are enough. Maybe better HDS than HTE for it's overall functionality if it can be enough when used outdoors at the primary level. I suppose it can.

Or even more an under $50 like the q40 and the infinity.

And a headlight of course.

Of course having no experience with such flashlights its just speculative. And I'm getting in love with these two (HTE and HDS) :D and just can't decide which one to take now.

flashlite

Enlightened
I also agree with your methodology. My only problem is that I have a really hard time parting with the lights that I replace. I just take the batteries out and pack them away. Every once in awhile, I'll get them out and reminisce about the "old" days :).

redduck

Newly Enlightened
I learned the lesson from my knife "collecting" experiences, made lots of purchases I later regret.

Key chain-- photonII red, hardly ever been used these days.

EDC -- Dorcy aaa for low light needs, QIII for more light. Waiting for Fenix L1P v2.5, and hopefully 60 lumen Proton.

House -- 2 Rechargable LumaPro incan. 1 2AA brinkman led from walmart. 1 Enigergizer rechargable tew-stage from walmart.

Car-- no-name cig. plug light, will retire QIII to the glove box after receiving L1P.

FUN -- Don't have any yet. May be a HDS U120 when it becomes available.

1 AA (or even AAA) bright lights intriguer me the most.