holly molly look at this camera

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering it is a Nikon that has been modded to use kodak digital "film" equipment "innnerds" but still retain the outstanding Nikon lens selection. I would seriously think about having my Minolta SRT "converted"!! I have a full case of lens, filters. special effects filters. multipliers, extension tubes, that would all function if the body could be modded to digital technology. I can see 12 grand for the job on a nikon body even 10 years ago but since it's discontinued it's a collectors item now if not in use.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i think someday there will be something that goes in hwere the 35mm film goes to make it digital.that would be cool.id love to convert my k1000

Saaby

Flashaholic
I know they have digital backs for film Hasselbad cameras. No idea if something similar exists for SLR!

Could you get a Nikon dSLR, or do they use the wrong lenses and such?

Tombeis

Enlightened
Nikon has several models of digital cameras based on the slr body which uses all of Nikon's interchangable lenses.

matt_j

Enlightened
Yes they do but the nikon sensor is rougly half the size of the 35mm film so all your lenses are multiplied by 1.5... So you 24mm lens is now 32mm. It is a great deal if you shoot wildlife since for example an 80-400mm lens is now 120-600mmm but it is horrible if you love wide angle because the widest lens you can get on the market now for nikon I believe is 14mm which in digital format makes it 21mm.

Canon 5d will be one of the first reasonably priced digital cameras with full frame sensor. Will see what that baby can do...

I don't think you can convert your current slr into digital althou there were some speical inserts that made your camera into 2.1 MP. It will be cheaper to buy a new digital body than convert the old one. Above doesnt apply to medium format where all sorts of backs are being released from Kodak and PhaseOne. Lets just hope that manufactures stay smart and keep the same lenses system instead of introducing new ones. My favorite all the time lens is 24-120mm and it seems I can't get that in digital. That's why maybe my D70 is collecting dust.

Raggie we used to work with the camera you mentioned. It was a brick and one of the first entry level cameras mainly designed for photojournalists... They costed close to $12000 but two years later we got stuck with 20 of them and I couldn't convince anyone to buy it even for a $1000.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a pic of a Kodak/AP DCS 2000e I used along with a spanking new Nikon D1 in October 1999.
DCS_D1.jpg

There was another one before this based on the F3 with a separate shoulder pack you had to lug around. On a good day, you could get 10 shots at 1.3MP before the battery went dead :eek:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
whats that big thing under the nikon with kodak on it? the sensor and battery?

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi raggie :)
Never took the thing apart to confirm, but the bottom part looked like it packed the built in battery and accomodated the PCMCIA Type III HDD memory as well. Those HDD cards we typically used were 160MB and cost about 700$ at that time. Drop it more than 2 feet and it became just a chunk of metal and your work was gone ;)
The CCD was situated right behind the lens, just where the film should have been.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh... yes I plead guilty to being spoiled rotten by technology! :) I especially love the image stabilizers (IS) we have on some lenses. Although I carry a tripod often and don't hesitate to use it, IS is unbelievably convenient in marginal (indoor) lighting. 17-85mm on a 1.6X crop factor is 27-136mm, also my favorite all-purpose focal length lens, and it has all the goodies - IS and the ultrasonic motor.

In 1997, on a consumer budget (read, couple hundred) I had to make the decision between point and shoot 35mm and point and shoot primitive land-before-time digital. With consumer digitals maxing out at 640x480, it wasn't a hard call. I went film and today, even scanning the prints at 300dpi (2 megapixel equivalent) gives me digital quality that would blow away yesteryear's digitals.

Now I get all huffy if ONE battery pack yields less than 400 shots! :D