Schematics for 5W led driver?????

kelbyl

Newly Enlightened
ok i am new to this whole mod thing. i just stumble on this site about 3 days ago. i am a lic. commercial electrician by trade. though i haven't had electronics schooling in about 10 yrs so my designing skills r a little rusty not to mention a little out of date with all the new things coming out. i can though build just about anying if i have the schematics for it..... Ok now for the million dollar question ......... i am trying to build a driver for the lexon 5W led , dimmable, with maybe a boost feature.... i am thinking with that as a start then i can add one in my pezl duo replacing the 100m bulb side, or maybe build it in to one of my many spare head lamps. i understand some people don't like to share knowlage but i am hoping someone will help me. I do search and rescue both above ground and below so i and looing for the runtime of of leds without having to give up to much distace. will appreciate any help anyone can give and once i get all the info i need will buy all teh parts and post pics of the process for others to enjoy....... oh yea and if it all works out right will give all the credit where it is due..........

thank you,
Kelby
SW MO SAR

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kelby! hey welcome to CPF.. i think you'll be surprised at the willingness of people to share info about building drivers and such..

There are some pre-fab drivers that are available that really rock you might want to just buy one.. but there is not much more satisfying that DIY... so if you go that route somebody here will help you out.

hey.. moderators... should this go into 'batts included'? vs HMM?

MR Al and Evan (forget the numbers at the end).. are extremely helpful with driver building info and help. Mr al custom-designed a driver for me to use in my nano build.

We need to know what battery pack you are planning to use and what host you want to use.

it's a bit of a no-brainer to use either the nFlex or the fatman driver from http://taskled.com but you can definitely build your own as well.. .the 'batteries included' section is the place to talk about drivers.

I just went through all the threads i posted on CPF and thought it's funny my first post also was almost identical in concept:

andrewwynn said:
I'm building a few lights.. and for at least one i need a driver... I want to drive a Lux 3 at a varied current between 150mA and 700mA... from a 3.6V batt. The madmax looks like it would do the trick up to 1/2 power.. any suggestions people? anybody out there that would like to help me design such a circuit (space constrants= 7/16 x 1 1/8 rectangle.

The variable power could be controlled by a switched bank of resistors or a pot depending on the method used.

I saw some posts about a uFlex 5W driver.. used pulse-width to be able to run less power than 1/2W and that would be ideal, but the links are all dead.