Good 3 x AAA light for Luxeon III mod?

balazer

Enlightened
What's a good 3 x AAA light for modding with a Luxeon III?

I was looking for a small and bright light designed to work with rechargeable batteries. I couldn't find what I wanted, so I decided I should buy a 3 x AAA Luxeon or clone light, and replace the LED with a Luxeon III. I plan to drive it directly with NiMH cells, as close to 1000 mA as I can get. Brightness is more important than battery life.

I'd really like a 3 x AA light with the same triangular side-by-side battery configuration that most 3 x AAA lights have, but I haven't been able to find such a light. AAs would give me almost triple the capacity, and be only slightly larger.

I thought about lithium lights, too. But I decided that the lights weren't designed well for rechargeables. They're typically designed for small size, high output, and not very long run-time with lithium primary cells. Put in rechargeable protected Li-ion cells, and the run-time is quite a bit worse. Plus, Li-ion has a discharge curve that's less flat than for NiMH. It would be difficult to drive a LED near the limit and maintain flat output without a regulator. I think I'm just as well off to use 3 x AAA NiMH cells. I'm hoping to get around 45 minutes at 1000 mA. If anyone has anything to teach me about Li-ion lights, I'd like to learn.

My ideal light for modding would have the following:
  • a reflector
  • a metal head sufficient to dissipate the LED's heat
  • Luxeon Star or clone, so that I could replace the whole star and not have to mess with bare emitters
  • a head I can unscrew rather than unglue
  • no resisters that I'd need to remove
  • devilishly good looks
I'm thinking that something like the SmartFire 3AAA or the MXDL, or maybe a Dorcy light might be good.

My next problem is where to get a Luxeon III star. According to modamag's direct drive reference sheet, I should be good with a G or H Vf bin Luxeon III. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/index.php?posts/923454/

I see that PhotonFanatic sells W0 white, H Vf bin Luxeon IIIs, but as emitters, not stars. Does anyone know where I can get a Star? Or should I just get the bare emitter? It's my understanding that bare emitters need to be glued down with special thermal adhesive. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/index.php?posts/997339/

Thanks, everyone! My first modding project will prove to be an adventure.