Need help choosing first SF purchase

uniquemr2

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, I'm new to this forum. I have been researching to purchase my first flashlight that I can use while performing my late night patrols as a security guard at a gov't building. I need a small and powerful flashlight to be able to fit compactly on my duty belt on a holster. I have narrowed it down to two flashlights by SureFire. Can you guys help a newbie out and provide some benefits/cons for choosing either Surefire C2 Centurion or SureFire E2 Executive? :thanks:

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both great lights. C2 is bigger, slightly better throw. E2e has a little less throw but is tiny.

I would also consider getting a Streamlight Strion because it is small, bright and rechargeable.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both great lights!

The E2 is smaller, both can be rigged to put out over 100 lumens of light, though the C2 can handle it more easily.

Are you stuck on the Surefire's?

For everynight use like this, I would consider a Streamlight Strion as well.

Bill

tch_popeye

Newly Enlightened
I'm no flashlight expert yet (just bought my first SF, an A2 a couple of weeks ago), but I wonder if you shouldn't be looking towards the rechargeable models. If you need to use this thing daily:

1) you don't want to hit the 60 minute mark in the middle of your patrol; and,
2) the rechargeable will pay for itself in terms of $$ spent on batteries.

Just my $0.02.

-Trev

matthewdanger

Enlightened
The C2 can use the P60 (65 lumens for 1 hour) or the P61 (120 lumens for 20 minutes!) lamp assemblies. The E2e can use the MN02 (25 lumens for 2.5 hours!) or MN03 (60 lumens for 1 hour). The E2e is significantly smaller and lighter than the C2. So looking at your two choices, you can either pick larger and brighter (C2) or smaller and longer runtime (E2e). I think that for your needs the C2 would be a better fit.

Now for my unsolicited suggestion: In that price range you can get the 9P (actually a little less from one of our local resellers, I'll PM you some information). It doesn't have the HA III finish that the E2e or C2 have and it take 3 cells instead of 2. It is also a little larger, but it gives you the choice between 105 lumens for 1 hour or 200 lumens for 20 minutes with the P90 and P91 respectively.

Geologist

Enlightened
Another vote for the 9P (~$80 new) or the C3 ($120? new). Like previously said, you have a standard bulb of 105 lumens, option of 200 lumens (200 lumens is GOOD). BUT, it is EEEEasy to use two rechargable batteries in this setup for ~$20-30 more (including charger), and you can always use normal batteries in a pinch. The length is just one cell more.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, WELCOME To CPF-

I am sure that everyone who posts on this thread will tell you both of you choices are excellent lights. They are. For your use I think the C2 is better suited. Slightly larger, but better beam and throw. Also ability to use a HOLA if needed. In either case you must carry extra batteries and a spare lamp assembly.

You did not indicate whether your light will be used as needed periodically or if you basically need to have a light on for long periods.

I will join (or lead) others in recommending a rechargeable. There are many good choices. I will jump in with the Inova T4. I am impressed an very happy with this light. Great throw and almost 3 hours at full output. Being an LED there is no lamp to break or go FLASH at a bad moment. Quick recharge time from AC or 12V.

Whatever you choose, also choose and carry a backup of some type.

Mark

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF uniquemr2, and why dontcha stay awhile!

The E2e is my favorite light, but the C2 is not too far behind. If you use a duty light every nite at work, I would want rechargeables to save you money, as well as the environment. If you need throw and incan, besides the SFs, look at the Strion and the Pila. For LED, look at the L2, U2 and the Gladius.

Of course, as has been mentioned, the purpose of your usage will make a difference as to what might be more suitable.

But no problem starting your collection off right, with an E2e!

welcome again,
daloosh

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
tch_popeye said:
I'm no flashlight expert yet (just bought my first SF, an A2 a couple of weeks ago), but I wonder if you shouldn't be looking towards the rechargeable models. If you need to use this thing daily:

1) you don't want to hit the 60 minute mark in the middle of your patrol; and,
2) the rechargeable will pay for itself in terms of $$ spent on batteries.

Just my $0.02.

-Trev

There is a double edged sword here Trev.....you must make sure you have a car charger or bring your charger to work with you, otherwise you hit your 60 mark and have no light till you bring it home and charge it. I like rechargables, but for security/police work a lithium light is a must. 2-3 sets of rechargable 123a's would be better off.

Boltgun

Geologist

Enlightened
And nobody has mentioned the general CPF advice:

1) BUY BOTH

2) Welcome to CPF and watch your wallet!

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to our not-so-small-anymore community!

I'm going to go against the grain on this one and say the L5 is your best bet. It's similar to a C2, but uses an LED and has a clickie tailcap. If you are patrolling a building, you will be much happier with a clickie TC. Also, the beam pattern lends itself well to doing a quick security sweep. It's got a nice intermediate range throw with ample side spill as well as being regulated for maximum battery life. Another plus is that you can use a Pila 168s rechargable in it and not worry about losing any brightness.

I realize it's more $$ (don't let the list $ scare you), but in the long run you will save twice the difference on bulbs and batteries.

Last edited:

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Depending on your budget, and how seriously you take your preparedness, I'd suggest a rechargeable such as the Surefire 8AX for routine patrol use (110 lumens for 50 mins), and a smaller lithium powered light with uprated lamp for instant maximum brightness backup (I'd suggest 9P/ C3 with P91 200 lumen lamp, runs for 20 mins with high output lamp).

I'm a military aircraft engineer, and I use my 8AX everyday, and even more at night. The B90 Ni-Cd sticks can be picked up cheap, and take a couple of hours to charge. 8AX is about 7 inches long, and fits well into many belt pouches. As a backup when I'm on active duty, I have a choice between my M3 (225 lumen), Z3 (200 lumen), 9P (200 lumen), or C2 (65 lumen).

There are other chioces of rechargeable light, and it's possible to run many of the Surefire range on aftermarket Pila rechargeables, but the 8AX kit (light, charger (mains AND 12 volt) and 2 batteries) is an off the shelf option with a lifetime warranty and proven record.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
My advice to you (having had several prior years of law enforcement and a lot of night patrols) is to go with a rechargable style light because...

If you are on this job for any amount of time you will save major $$$ over replacing batteries

It's a good feeling to start each shift knowing that your light is fully charged and ready to go (vs that nagging..."how much have I used these batteries" feeling)

I carried a magcharger every day for almost four years until my dept made streamlights mandatory (not as lethal?). I also carried a 4D mag in the car as an emergency backup though I can only ever remember a couple of times when I had to use it. (Note: The MagCharger was brand new, top-of-the-line back then)

The magcharger had a lot of rugged use (and has the scars to prove it) and still I only blew one bulb that entire time when I dropped the light off a loading dock onto a concrete driveway while walking into the station at the end of a shift. Surefire lights are even better protected against impact blowout.

However in spite of how durable my incandescent really was, I would still tend to direct you towards the LED based offerings for durability reasons. I would have LOVED to have had an Inova T4 back then!

I remember what my budget was like back then so this may not be feasable for you, but I would recommend getting something like the Inova T4 for your regular use duty light, and carrying the tiny E2 as an emergency backup.

Danintex

Enlightened
+1 for the T4. The beam is a little tight, but you get enough output to work around that. I love my L5 because I can switch to incan quickly if I need a SWOL (Serious Wall Of Light). However, out of the 2 choices you listed I'd go with the C2. Brighter, modular, easily upgradeable, and cheaper. You have to remember that LED light tends to wash out in streetlights, headlights etc.

WDR65

Enlightened
I agree with everybody on the rechargable option for the cost reasons. I know the output would be slightly less, but what about the C2 with Pilas, depending on what kinda of runtime you needed you could run either lamp in it if I'm not mistaken. You also have the option of dropping that battery and putting normal lithiums in just in case it gets weak, instead of having to put it back in a charger. I think there are other options also with rechargable uprotected 123 lithiums, but I have read more about the Pilas. Also you could run an E2e on them, but the C2 would give more useful light in security setting I believe. There are people on here who know a lot more about this than I do, just wanted to say that there other so many options. Its kinda overwhelming I'm sure.

Geologist

Enlightened
To my knowledge, you can't run Pilas in a C2 with stock lamps, but you CAN in a C3/9P. You could run unprotected R123s in a C2, but not in a light for use every night.

I am currently using the C3 with Pilas and it works great!

WDR65

Enlightened
Geologist,
According to Quickbeam's reviews the Pila 168s battery will run the C2 or any of the E/C/P/G series Surefires I believe, albeit with a bit lower output. I plan to purchase a few of these to run my E series and I also plan to purchase some 150s for my C3's. Quickbeam has a long compatibility chart on his site, kinda neat how many lights the Pilas will run.

Dudley

Last edited:

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
Uniquemr2,

Welcome to CPF!
I have to ask, are you an ARMED security guard? Do you carry a handgun as your primary arm? If so, I would recommend the C2 or C3 as they both have flat areas and a small rubber ring on the body designed to be used for holding the light in the 'Cigar' or 'Surefire/Harries' Technique of two hand hold while using a pistol.

The instant on with the Surefire tailcap and the proper two hand hold with a handgun will blind an intruder and your pistol will almost allways hit whatever target is in the light if employed properly.

If you use the light for several hours each night, as others have said, rechargeable capacity is a must. If you are willing to give up the intruder blinding capability of the higher performing Surefire lamp assemblys, I would consider a Bugoutgear drop in 3w LED lamp assembly and rechargeable batteries. It is bright enough for patrolling inside of a building, will give much longer runtime, and the two hand flashlight/pistol hold can still be used.

I use a C2 set up this way (Check out the 'Iraq military deployment lights' thread)
Good luck with whatever you decide. A Surefire light is worth the money.