Convert a Petzl to LED?

vic303

Enlightened
Hi, I have an older Petzl headlamp. I'm wondering if there is an LED mod for it? It's a single bulb, with the flat battery that rides on the back of your head. I'd have to dig it out to find the model info.
Thanks!
Vic

greenLED

Flashaholic
That's a Petzl Zoom; I loved mine!!

You could try one of the bulb replacements from LED-replacement. You'd be looking at something like the Tektite LS407. I'm not sure if they make everLED's with screw-base.

TerraLux has a screw-type replacement LED bulb also, but I don't recommend it. It's a rather large and dim 10mm LED. The one I had broke off the screw-base the first time I installed it in my Petzl Zora.

vic303

Enlightened
Yeah...is IS a Zoom! Thanks for jogging my fading memory. ;)
I will have to dig it out & look at the bulb in there, or at least the spare bulb I think I still have. What sort of output would I get with that Tektite LS407?

Thanks
Vic

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
That's a Petzl Zoom; I loved mine!!

You could try one of the bulb replacements from LED-replacement. You'd be looking at something like the Tektite LS407. I'm not sure if they make everLED's with screw-base.

TerraLux has a screw-type replacement LED bulb also, but I don't recommend it. It's a rather large and dim 10mm LED. The one I had broke off the screw-base the first time I installed it in my Petzl Zora.
Hmm... I ll change my petzl duo 8led halogen lamp to that. Would the focusing be any better with led? Do i need orange peel reflector?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I loved my petzl zoom(the mega belt with 3 C batteries). I used to use it for caving.

It throws pretty well, and It does not have the ugly black hole in the middle of the beam when it is defocused like maglights. Any one know how they do that?

It has some artifacts, but a LOP reflector would probally get rid of that.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any other drop in LED for the old incan Petzl?
Any 3 watt led ideas?
Really would like to get the old Petzl to perform like an Apex.

Hmm or should I just get the Apex :thinking:

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
You could try an everLED in there. I don't know of any LuxIII drop-in, though. Maybe the new Mag 4D drop-ins are LuxIII? Heatsinking would be a problem with any of these.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for reminding me about the heat. I had almost forgot about it.
NOt to sure the mag 4d would drop in nicely since its not threaded.
I ll buy the APEx then :naughty:
greenLED said:
You could try an everLED in there. I don't know of any LuxIII drop-in, though. Maybe the new Mag 4D drop-ins are LuxIII? Heatsinking would be a problem with any of these.