Nite ize conversion with ni cads?

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
Just got a nite ize conversion for my mini mag and was wondering if it's OK to use Ni Cad batteries with it. I've heard LEDs are suppose to use 3 volts, but Ni Cads are only 1.2 Volts apiece. Would this hurt anything.

My other LED light said to use alkalines for long bulb life. Would Ni Cads shorten LED life?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
nicads should be ok since the module is using a boost circuit to drive 5mm LEDs. Nicad/nimh cells are *rated* at 1.2v but actually charge to 1.4v and most of their capacity is between 1.2 and 1.3v. If you were direct driving an LED using 3 batteries you could have a problem but that boost circuit is designed for 3v in and the nicad should deliver about 2.8v off the charger and from 2.4-2.6v during most of the life of the batteries.

Essentially it will be slightly dimmer at start than alkaline but hold the light output more consistantly over the life of the charger where alkalines will fall off slowly to nothing.

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I'll keep using the Ni-cads then. I just hope this thing keeps working, because I like it now that I've tried it in the dark! I just hope it doesn't suddenly stop working like some people have reported with LEDs that didn't cost alot.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it does die on you for some reason (cheap circuit?) you always have the stock incadecent bulb spare in the tailcap. Granted you won't have the original reflector, but a "candle mode" is better than no light at all. :)

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
it says on the website that its ok and works better with nicad's