Suggestions for Light for Soldier in Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a nephew who's at Ft. Benning for training, and then probably on to Iraq. I would appreciate suggestions for a flashlight as a gift for him. I don't know about the availability of different battery types for our GIs---CR123s? AAs? rechargeables?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

WDR65

Enlightened
I think AA's are the most common batteries that the troops can get their hands on, but some units can get 123's. The thread stickied at the top of this section might be helpful and though I could go into some reccomendations there are other guys on here who've been there and done that so to speak and they know a lot more than I do about the land of sand and what works better there.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
WDR65,

Thanks for your reply and info. I confess I had not even noticed the sticky thread on this subject. Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm still debating battery type---CR123s vs. R123s vs. AA vs. AAA (Peak Matterhorn).

Thanks again,

Andrew

ob1

Newly Enlightened
AFAustin: what is his job? I can give you a better recommendation based on what he does.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
ob1,

Thanks for the reply. Don't know his job (MOS?) yet---he's just in basic training I believe. I will try to find out more and then ask again for your advice.

Thanks again,

Andrew

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am with ob1,
It all depends on what he will be doing over there. If he is a medic or administrative non-combat type... I can fill you in. For kicking down doors, convoys and things of that nature, get good weapon lights. At the minimum, a AAA powered LED light on a lanyard is a must so get that requirement out of the way. A Peak or Arc AAA work very well and give him 16 lithium AAA batteries to go with it.
Get him a NiMH battery charger and AAA/AA NiMH batteries, make sure the charger can be used with a 12V automotive adapter. My Maha charger worked very well in that situation. AAA NiMH batteries can be swapped out when using the AAA light for reading, no use in burning up all the lithiums and the dimmer output is fine for reading.
Many people go over there without NiMH batteries or chargers. Tell him to bring at least 20 AA NiMH and around 4 to 8 AAA NiMH batteries. His buddies will thank him for it when they need to feed the discmans, cameras and battery operated speakers. All my NiMH batteries were in constant use by my buddies and he who hath the battery power...has the power!
One other thing, tell him to get a diamond coated knife sharpening device that can be put in the pocket. Everyone has a knife but they forget to bring something to sharpen it. The little things like chargers, spare NiMH batteries and knife sharpeners will make his tour much easier and it will help out his buddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.