5Watt Led Module from Arc mania

XenonM3

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share some nice pics of my new joy I got from Mike Jordan, it turned my KT2 9P setup into my most Favorite and Brightest Led light.

Module is setup to be used with 3 cell 9P and has a Luxeon WX1T bin 5watter:

jtice

Flashaholic
Really nice setup there.
I have two heatsink mudules for those, but never got around to buying a turbohead. :green:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Say Jtice, are you thinking of selling one? Or does anyone know a source for those?

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
I don't have the exact module shown there, but mine is almost identical. I posted some beamshots here between an L6 (running at 1Amp) and an M4 with Turbo Head and a 5W LED module:
link ...

You can see that the trow and sidebeam are pretty awesome indeed. No, it will NOT out-trow a M*G reflector with a 5W, but the M*g does not have the nice sidebeam of the Turbo Head either ;)

Will

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised it won't out throw a Mag reflector with a Lux V since it's a smaller diameter. I always thought bigger means more throw. Hmm, food for thought.

-LT

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to me that the LUXV is making a comeback!!
I like the throw of a lux V. What I like about it is the size of the hotspot is just so mich bigger than the lux III I love the nice big hotspot the luxV produces with the MAG reflector. Space needle all the way!!
I love this thing you have there.
I am bored with LUX III flashlights bring on the LUXV's!!
Yaesumofo

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to be that bigger (Emitter) makes for a bigger hot spot and shorter throw (don't know why).
Smaller emitter makes for a tighter beam possibly longer throw.
Seems universal accross reflectors.
Yaesumofo

Lunal_Tic said:
I'm surprised it won't out throw a Mag reflector with a Lux V since it's a smaller diameter. I always thought bigger means more throw. Hmm, food for thought.

-LT

wquiles

Flashaholic
XenonM3 said:
Module is setup to be used with 3 cell 9P and has a Luxeon WX1T bin 5watter

By the way, if you search the forums you will see several reports of heat-induced damage on the emiters with these modules (mine included) when used with the shock-isolated Turbo Heads. The "problem" is that the heat is most transfered to the reflector, which by virtue of being isolated, don't transfer heat well to the head or body all that well - with time the emiter can/will cook to death.

I modified mine after several days of experiments on my M4 (I run also a WX1T, but with a Downboy 1000) until I was able to feel heat to the head and body extremely well. The result is not pretty and it involves the white AA thermal grease (not epoxy) for the contact areas beween the LED module and the M4's body, using AA with epoxy to permanently attach the spring to the outside of the LED module (the foam in the shock isolated module then acts as a spring to keep the right presure aginst the body), and then sand the new bottom of the LED module to match the contour of the inside of the M4's body (I said it was not pretty, didn't I?) but it works awesome on the KT4 head that I have.

I have never tried this on a KT1/KT2 such as yours and don't even know if those are shock-isolated as well. Just something to keep in mind ;)

Will

XenonM3

Enlightened
hmm..the heat issue you mentioned got me kind of worried now, aren't all the new KT turboheads from SF the same design practically? with just different collar adapters?

Will do you use an older model? I'm not sure if mine has any shock isolation, and I hope not.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
XenonM3,

Do you know at what mA your module is driven? Also now that you've had it a while, can you say anything about the thermal problems Wquiles mentioned? Does the head and body heat up as they should or do they stay cool?

Thanks,
-LT

XenonM3

Enlightened
Sorry for the slow reply, I lost this thread for a bit.

My led module is running at 1000mA and so far there doesn't seem to be any thermal problems because the turbohead heats up pretty good when I have it on for 15 mins and the body stays relatively cool.

I am very happy with the module so far and plan on getting another one for my M4.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunal_Tic said:

-LT

Its due to the fact that the SF reflectors are stippled, whilst the Mag ones are perfectly smooth. The orange peel surface scatters some of the photons away from the point of focus to give a smoother beam, and we all know about the flawed beam of stock incandescant Mags. Its less of an issue with a Luxeon though.

jtice

Flashaholic
Its also due to the mag reflector being deeper.
Alot of the time deeper will make more throw then wider.

One thing the SF TH has going for it over the mag,,,,, it looks GREAT ! :)

~John

XenonM3

Enlightened
I got my module from Arc mania, it can have a side emitter or high dome, whichever you prefer, I am sure Arc mania can make more if you order it from him. I think I will get a side emitter next too.

Last edited:

seattlite

Enlightened
NikolaTesla said:
Are these modules available at all? Really sounds like the ultimate M4 upgrade.

Apologies in advance if I am hijacking this thread.

I was lucky enought to get a couple of these modules built-up from a couple of distiguished CPF members, Paul Novarese "tylerdurden", and Mike Jordan "ARC mania". Below are some pictures. Paul built the blue one on the left, and Mike built the bare aluminum on the right. The bare aluminum module is an XX1T being driven by an ARC mania custom converter(7.4-12V), while the blue module is a WX1S/DB1000(9-15V).

I've compared both modules and took some light meter readings at 3 feet, as well as ceiling bounce with light meter on the ground readings, and the XX1T module was about 20% brighter than the WX1S module.

Quality and workmanship of these 2 modules are of professional quality, my thanks to both Paul and Mike for these 2 great builds.

Finally, both modules work great in my M3T with 2 x Pila 150S as well as primary cells.

WX1S_XX1T_1.jpg

WX1S_XX1T_2.jpg

Richard