"Agent 86" Passes on.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don Adams, who played Maxwell Smart on the funny and sometimes hilarious 1960s series "Get Smart" passed on yesterday.

Another wonderful comedian / actor lost. Well, maybe he and Bob Denver can get together and keep 'em laughing in heaven.

"Would you believe...."
"Sorry about that, Chief."
"And Loving it."

"Oh, Max" (Agent 99)

"This is KAOS... Ve don't doodoo here." (Sigfried)

And I always liked it when he played two parts, Max and King Rupert(?) and did the Ronald Coleman voice Rupert(?) spoke with.

Yahoo News

Last edited:

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is one thing that really surprised me:

He was a Marine in WWII, On Guadalcanal, and later a Marine DI.

Lots more to that man than met the eye, for sure.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
He was a great actor and it was a wonderful show.

I always wanted to meet him. I came thaaat close.

I had his finger gun, his trick belt buckle and the shoe walkie talkie when I was a kid. That may be what started me on the road to gadget-ville.

Sad times.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
You "missed it by || that much" Huh?

I forgot about that one.

So many catch phrases out of that show, so little time.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
He was also the voice of the main character in the "Tennessee Tuxedo" cartoon series. For those who remembe rthat cartoon, think of the inflection in the character's signature line, "Tennessee Tuxedo will NOT fail!" and compare it to Maxwell Smart's signature line "Missed it by THAT much!" and you'll realize it was the same person.

I'm gonna miss him. I really enjoyed Get Smart (and Tennessee Tuxedo when I was a child).

I heard that the character of "Butch" (the bully from The Little Rascals) passed away yesterday also. The trifecta is complete. RIP gentlemen, and thanks for the fond memories. You've touched many, many lives.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Indeed another classic character as played by Mr. Adams!

I remember having a little camera that turned into a pistol and another "gadget" as well (seems it was a radio that turned into a rifle) from that line of promotional stuff.

Ahhh, agent 99 as well, the "Ginger/Mary Ann" counterpart!

RIP Don!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved "Get Smart", too. When I was kid, it was the only thing really good that came on in the late morning. I seem to remember a lot of back to back episodes, too.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Although I feel saddened to hear of the passing of Don Adams, I am truly happy for the great life he had and the great memories that he left behind.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
There was a little bit of Stan Laurel in his character on Get Smart. You could see it in that familiar pose of half-closed eyes and a half-smirk. Pure comic genius.

wmpwi

Enlightened
I hope someone starts running it again where I can get it. I still find myself using the "cone of silence" every so often. The reference is still lost on most though. In the series, he drove a car I obsessed over for years, the Sunbeam Tiger. Most people never knew how unique it was. I had the toy spy kit too and wish I stil did. I'll really miss the likes of him.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think we should have a moment of silence for the most hilarious advocate of the
*cone of silence*. I loved that gag and all the trouble it caused.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I met Barbara Feldon when I was waiting tables. I Invited her to drinks later and she said yes. We dated on and off for about 6 mounths.

Would you believe 3 months?

Would you believe I once knew someone that grew up in her home town?

How about, I had a black and white photo of her and Max pinned up in my bedroom when I was 11 years old?

I loved that show and it's nice to know that Mr. Adams had some depth and history I was unaware of.

Happy trails, Don. A lot of people loved ya.

Malpaso

Enlightened
Don't forget he was also the voice of Inspector Gadget. I watched that show all the time with my daughter when she was little. He spanned two generations.