Real Star Trek Phaser "stun" Weapon

Robt

Newly Enlightened
Where I live, there's only 3 local channels. So i subscribe to COX cable. On the Discovery channel, i was watching a program about "Weapons of the Future". A very fascinating 1 hr show about the next 20 years, weapons that will be used by soldiers in the battlefield and used by govn't officials and by the police. There's a segment in the show about NON-lethal weapons. One non lethal device is a flashlight device that's being under development by HSV Technologies in San Diego. It transmits a powerful electric current along a UV Laser light. Shine it on a human target, you have a wireless TASER that can paralyze targets as far away as 2 KM !!

Several years ago my family and I were watching "60 Minutes" and there was a segment about a American spy doing findings about the Russian military scientists who are developing experiments with an actual atomic particle beam accelerator weapons on a small scale. Works on the same principle like a LASER, but it's not coherent light, subatomic particles instead.

Just tonight, I was surfing on the web looking up info on "Nikola Tesla" and found a website that mentioned Tesla's wild crackpot ideas of creating a deathray to sheild us from incoming missles from overseas. I read on this website that "After Tesla's death, rumors about a Russian spy broke in the room and stole the books/papers of the device. I myself don't think Tesla was a "crack pot". He might've have something there, cause LOOK, Now the Russians have something that WE don't have and it doesn't look good for us.

IF anyone is interested in reading this particular webpage, here it is: Http://www.TLDM.org/news4/deathraygun.htm Scroll down to where it talks about Nikola Tesla and his particle beam weapon & go from there on down. Robt..

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...I didn't have time to read the whole thing...gotta wake up early, but, that looks a bit like those wacky tabloids you see at the supermarket checkout counter. I don't know much about Tesla, but from what I understand, he's was a real genius that was way ahead of his time. If the Russians had these types of weapons, I think it'd be more likely that we'd find out about them on the news, rather than on a religious website asking for donations.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spider Robinson wrote a story where Tesla is a character and he succeeded in building his "death ray" and it was so horrible that he spent the last half of his life trying to make himself look like a crackpot so that nobody would take him seriously and be interested in his designs. Which even outside of the story he succeeded in pretty good. A brilliant fellow with lots of really serious and successful science under his belt, but just about that time he went way off the deep end...

Makes you think :)

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Since Tesla died in 1943, It's kind of doubtful that he would have given a lot of thought to missiles.

The V2 missile was successfully launched the same year. The V2 was generally considered the first successful missile. WIth luck it landed near the target. One site gave the following figure....

a primitive three-axis gyropilot acting on steerable exhaust vanes and aerodynamic rudders, which gave the missile a Circular Error Probable (CEP: the diameter of a circle within which half the missiles would land) of 17 km (11 miles).

Incoming bombs, artillery shells, bullets... I can see Tesla worrying about those.

The problem with the wireless taser? Does not work in a wind, nor if there is smoke. It's also difficult to deliver a precise shock, so there's a stronger chance that you will injure the person.

Still, a neat idea.

Daniel

Phased_Array

Newly Enlightened
Yup,

It's out there guys, you can make one.

Source)-US Patent & Trademark Office
===========
United States Patent 5,675,103 Herr October 7, 1997 Non-lethal tetanizing
weapon

Abstract A non-lethal weapon for temporarily immobilizing a target subject
by means of muscular tetanization in which the tetanization is produced by
conducting a precisely-modulated electrical current through the target.
Because the electrical current is a close replication of the physiological
neuroelectric impulses which control striated muscle tissue, it tetanizes the
subject's skeletal muscles without causing any perceptible sensation. The
transmission of this current to the distant target is via two channels of
electrically conductive air. The conductive channels are created by
multi-photon and collisional ionization within the paths of two beams of
coherent (laser) or columnated incoherent ultraviolet radiation directed to
the target.
A single beam may be used to tetanize a grounded target. The high-voltage
tetanizing current flows from electrodes at the origin of the beams along the
channels of free electrons within them.

Inventors: Herr; Jan Eric (P.O. Box 15044, San Diego, CA 92175) Appl. No.:
597395 Filed: February 8, 1996 Other References: Channeling of an Ionizing
Electrical Streamer by a Laser Beam, Koopman and Wilkerson, Oct. 1971, Journal
of Applied Physics, pp. 1883-1886. Formation and Guiding of High-Velocity
Electrical Streamers by Laser-Induced Ionization, Koopman and Saum, Dec. 1973,
Journal of Applied Physics, pp. 5328-5336. Electric Shock Effects of
Frequency,Kouwenhoven et al., Apr. 1936.

Description

FIELD OF THE INVENTION This invention relates to weapons and more
particularly to a type of non-disabling weapon which may be used by military
personnel or law enforcement agents for the temporary immobilization of a
target
subject or subjects. The invention also relates to muscle tissue involuntary
contraction by application of electric current identical to or closely
approximating
the physiological neuroelectric impulses which control muscle movements.

You can make one too, if you can get the lasers to ionize the air properly.
My 20,000 volt stun gun w/lasers spark kept jumping the beams before it got to the target.
Went on to more sophisticated things like HID flashlights. :)

Phased Array

Robt

Newly Enlightened
Say, Phased Array:

Seems like you really know a lot about this "stun" Phaser weapon. Have you by chance are ONE of the guys involved in the development of this new device ?! Hmm? You mentioned an acronym for a flashlight that others post. Could you please tell me what "HID" stands for?

That woman at the website was having futuristic precognitions about the "flashlight wands" that melted thru objects, buildings. She was seeing WAY in the future what is going to happen years from now. Let me tell you guys something:

My mom was Italian and had a keen SIXTH sense about a lot of things that really spooked me. My dad would scoff at her and poke fun of her that she should be a gypsy with a crystal ball. Many times she'd had "vibrations" about good and bad things were to happen. Okay; in 1999, she said she had a vision that two jet planes were to hit the TWIN TOWERS in 2001, but her and my dad didn't live to see it. She said the emergency number "911" had something to do with it. What she didn't realized was 911 was actually 9-11-2001. Very odd, ain't it? She died from complications from diabetes in Dec 2000 and my dad died in August 2001, before his 80th birthday. If they'ed had their health and would've lived longer past 2001, I wonder what would be going thru their minds about her prophetic vision ???? That's all i hafta say for now.

Last edited:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the:

Spotlights/Lanterns/HID Forum

HID stands for (IIRC) High Intensity Discharge... Basically any enclosed lamp that runs an arc (Mercury Vapor, Sodium, Xeon). The new style blue/white car headlamps are one form of HID.

-Bill

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Ok, so your mom was clairvoyant. Or she had a wierd dream. I'm pretty sure that when the towers were struck 9-1-1 was heavily involved, so that's not a stretch. But I can't prove clairvoyants don't exist, so I won't argue it.

The problem is that you appear to be saying that because you beleive in clairvoyants, that you will assume that Tesla was clairvoyant too. That's not a scientific way to evaluate things. Some "clairvoyants" are crackpots. I was married to one, so I know.

Personally, I tend not to believe in clairvoyants. Why? Have you ever seen one play the stock market? Have you ever met one where you did not have to introduce yourself? Have you ever noticed that YOU have to call the Psychic hot line?

Most important, they never seem to have a really good focus. For goodness sakes, if you can fortel metal melting flashlights why can't you read the label on the box they come in? At least you should hear someone say "Hey mac, lend me your Acme lightsabre for a minute? My battery's dead again!"

I've experienced eerie things. My friend and I once planned a picnic without ever mentioning it to each other. I've chased UFOs and even caught one. I've been promoted without asking for it. Strange things happen. Sometimes it's just coincidence.

Daniel

Phased_Array

Newly Enlightened
Started with two water 'squirt guns' as the high voltage 'wires' but Mother Natures' lightning and ionized air seemed a better concept.

When your talking about a low peak power, or moderate average power you can get a laser to sustain a discharge in open air via the inverse bremsstrahlung effect.
40 Watts @ 532nm

Air ionization at atmospheric pressure with an IR or visible laser diode working in CW or pulsed... work it out. :awman:

Phaser is set for 'stun' only. :tsk:

HID = flashlights... They throw light not 20,000 volts.

Phased Array

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost purchased a 1000 watt pulse 532NM Laser. I saw it demonstrated on a steel drum/. It punched a hole thru in 1 single pulse.... The darn thing was small enough to carry but the power source/supply was not pratical. That was probably a bit to strong for "Stun operation"?

Looked way to scary so we passed it up.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
gadget_lover said:
Personally, I tend not to believe in clairvoyants. Why? Have you ever seen one play the stock market? Have you ever met one where you did not have to introduce yourself? Have you ever noticed that YOU have to call the Psychic hot line?Daniel

And why do they have to ask you for your credit card number? Don't they already know it?
:thinking:

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hsv wireless taiser concept has been around several years iirc, and i don't recall them actually making much progress since the announmeent. this was heavyily discusded on firingline.com the shooters forum many years ago. Interesting concept if and when it works.

Phased_Array

Newly Enlightened
Nikolatesla,
If you're gonna start trying to ionize air, the laser(power) will make short work of the target first. Leaving little to electrocute anyway.
How about lasing flashights... hmmm. Tight beam... maximum throw. :thinking:

Phased Array

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nikola, at what distance was that pulse laser when it punched a hole through the steel drum? How large was the hole?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
We already have stun weapons and some believe they actually kill or can accelerate death if the person suffers from heart problems, diabities.

I rather the office shot me than stun me. I hate getting shocked.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
cobb said:
We already have stun weapons and some believe they actually kill or can accelerate death if the person suffers from heart problems, diabities.

I rather the office shot me than stun me. I hate getting shocked.

I'd much, much rather be shocked.

Recovery from a wound appears to be at least 6 weeks, somethimes a lot longer. Even if they shoot to wound (aim for the leg, etc) If the bullet accidently hits bone or an artery the results can be catastrophic or lethal.

Of course, the real solution is to never be in a position were you are a target of either technology.

Daniel

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It's virtually impossible to shoot to disable without having at least some chance of causing long-term debilitating injury to the target. Even if the bullet doesn't hit anything vital it can tear a ligament or something, or the bullet can cause lead poisoning. A stun gun may cause a heart attack if you're prone to it, but the chances of long-term injury are much less.

What would be really cool would be a phaser-type weapon which disintegrates the target. No mess to clean up, and in many cases no body=no murder. If the energy requirements were fairly low (they would have to be if it were portable), you could shoot a phaser at trash to just make it disappear.

I have to say I'm really disappointed we don't have laser/phaser weapons like all the sci-fi writers thought we would by now. They seem way more elegant than the projectile kind (less messy and more accurate).

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
An interesting what if... Read sci-fi some 40 years ago where they had "noiseless" disintegrators on a planet being explored.

The planet turned out to have dangerous people eating beasts. The disintegrators worked great--but being noiseless, the animals never learned to be afraid of people as their kin simple quietly disappeared. IIRC they just kept coming and when the folks ran out of charge--gobbled up the survivors.

I would think the "ideal" phaser could be a societal nightmare. Would not allow murders to be found by cops, and would not "notify" rioters of potential defenses in the area.

-Bill

jtr1962

Flashaholic
BB said:
I would think the "ideal" phaser could be a societal nightmare. Would not allow murders to be found by cops, and would not "notify" rioters of potential defenses in the area.
An ideal phaser would probably require a society with a great deal more internalizing of morals and ethics than current exists. After all, I'd say the majority of people would probably murder, rape, and steal if they knew for sure that they could get away with it. If we ever end up with something closer to the ideal then maybe an ideal phaser would work. You would only use it to get rid of those who prey on society, rather than anyone you happened to dislike for whatever reason.

However, I honestly think rioters not being aware of defenses in an area would be a good thing, not a bad one. They'll keep coming, and keep getting vaporized. :devil: That would save society a lot of money in the long run, and also weed out the worst 1% of the human race. I'm a firm believer in the 1-99 theory, namely that 1% of the population causes 99% of the problems, and also that this 1% is all but incorrigible. Therefore, it's best to either just dump them all on an island where they can do no more harm to us, or kill them and be done with it.