Surefire KL3 (2nd Generation)

Dunc5

Newly Enlightened
Send Tony at http://www.tacticaltorches.com/ an email , Thats where i got all my surfire stuff from including a 6P and a KL3 gen 2 .The one in flashlight review is a C2 .He has alot more stock than what is shown on his website so email him with your requests .Ive only had mine a couple of days and its great .Another good review is here http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/ . There is also alot of talk about surefires over at http://www.britishblades.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31 .

Hope this is of help

Duncan

CTR

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the pointer Duncan... just out of interest, how much would I expect to pay roughly for this kit? I also want to use rechargeables, are there any that will work well with this?

Dunc5

Newly Enlightened
If you go for the 6P with KL3 gen 2 i would say about £100 but thats not exact and a c2 will be a bit more , yes you can use rechargables but i have very little knowledge on them but you will soon find what your looking for on here .Dont be put off by the UK highstreet prices for 123 cells as you can get them online for alot less and the advantege of a KL3 is the long run time .

Dunc

XenonM3

Enlightened
Be aware that if you get the KL3 2nd generation, there are two style versions out. I don't like the latter version but the version on Flashlightreviews is nicer.

Last edited:

jacques

Newly Enlightened
CTR,

The whole kit (KL3, C2 body and tailcap) will cost around £75 from Lighthound. I brought Surefire stuffs from it and the service are excellent.

You can use 2 rechargeables CR123 battery on it, but I strong suggest using protected cells. Runtime will reduce a bit but you will have some free lumens.

socom45

Newly Enlightened
jacques is right. Lighthound (john crighton), or jcciv on cpf is a really good, reasonable and reputable source. Friendly to to do business with, and a heck of a lot cheaper than anyone over here in the uk, as well as a lot of places in the US. He also has the kl3 2's in stock.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
jacques said:
CTR,

The whole kit (KL3, C2 body and tailcap) will cost around £75 from Lighthound. I brought Surefire stuffs from it and the service are excellent.

You can use 2 rechargeables CR123 battery on it, but I strong suggest using protected cells. Runtime will reduce a bit but you will have some free lumens.

jacques, do their prices include delivery? The protected cells I have see run at 3.6V would this not damage the torch?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
CTR said:
jacques, do their prices include delivery? The protected cells I have see run at 3.6V would this not damage the torch?

The KL3 gen 2 works with the Surefire 9p as well (9 volt torch) and would easily accept the 7-8v put out by Rechargeables.

socom45

Newly Enlightened
CTR, for the kl3 gen 2 alone, you are looking at about $5.00 give or take for the postage....with the 6p included, maybe $9 or $10.00. Best thing is to email john (jcciv) or go to www.lighthound.com

jacques

Newly Enlightened
CTR,

socom45 is right, 10 USD is the shipping cost of 6P and KL3. I just recieved the KL3 and the SW02 tailcap, the service from lighthound are excellent.

Running 2 protected RCR123 is no problem.

socom45

Newly Enlightened
CTR, I live here too, and you won't find a better and friendlier source here in the UK...not to mention AAA+ customer service and satisfaction. On here he is jcciv and he is also a cpf supporter. I know some may disagree with promoting imports but I personally believe you have to do what is best for you, not to mention the fact that what will cost $100.00 in the us you can bet someone here is charging £100.00 for the same thing. I only know this because I've been playing the game for some time. Besides, after moving here it didn't take me long to realize I had more money over there because I was paying better prices....I could go on for ages, but I can guarantee if you give John a bell you won't be disappointed. I'm also getting a kl3 gen 2...can't wait :- )

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can's see much of a difference. a taper rather than a non taper. Am I missing somthing?
Is there a functional difference. or is this just a subjective design prefrence?
Yaesumofo

XenonM3 said:
Be aware that if you get the KL3 2nd generation, there are two style versions out. I don't like the latter version but the version on Flashlightreviews is nicer.

socom45

Newly Enlightened
The run times afaik are about the same as they are both 3 watt leds. However, though you have the cool looking cooling fins and the 6 sided bezel for anti roll purposes on the original, the optics are not as good, nor does it really throw the beam as does the newer version. I heard the newer version was also brighter too. I've had the kl2 original, I've had the 3 watt drop in and put it in my 6p...and I'm getting the new kl3 gen 2. I will let you know when I get it what my opinion is on it. I hear from reliable sources it is the best of all 3... then the only better one the same size is the l5 head...but then you have more power, thus less run time...

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pretty sure he is talking about the 2nd gen units. There is more than one version of the 2nd generation units. I am pretty sure they are ths same expept for the taper at the body connection.
still no answer from XenonM3.

Yaesumofo

socom45 said:
The run times afaik are about the same as they are both 3 watt leds. However, though you have the cool looking cooling fins and the 6 sided bezel for anti roll purposes on the original, the optics are not as good, nor does it really throw the beam as does the newer version. I heard the newer version was also brighter too. I've had the kl2 original, I've had the 3 watt drop in and put it in my 6p...and I'm getting the new kl3 gen 2. I will let you know when I get it what my opinion is on it. I hear from reliable sources it is the best of all 3... then the only better one the same size is the l5 head...but then you have more power, thus less run time...

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could anyone please post pics of the two KL3 gen 2 versions?

Scott

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was aware of only 1 gen 2 model... the old gen 1 model has fins... the new one looks like the KL5 head

XenonM3

Enlightened
yaesumofo is right, I was talking about the 2nd generation only.

I have two of the KL3 2nd generation, one in Black HAIII and one in Natural HAIII, they both look a bit different cosmetically, I prefer the Black ones more streamlined looks. The natural HAIII one doesn't have the collar part that looks like Dspeck's E2C adapter.

again here are some pics of both :

kl3genha7mp.jpg

kl3gen2black7va.jpg

socom45

Newly Enlightened
I was only aware of the one that looks like the kl5... mine going on my black 6PN, I must have black...can't cope with the color difference. Call it a slight bit of OCD