U2 Modfied Tailcap to Resemble McE2s Trim Tailcap Inquiry

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi All,

I have a question.

Currently I have a SureFire L4 and I have a McE2s 2 Stage Trim Tailcap on it, as not only do I like the 2 levels of light that it affords, but I also like the ability to use it in Candle Mode, while not having too much added bulk on the Tailcap.

That leads me to my question.

I have been considering buying a U2. However, I was wondering if the outside of the Tailcap (not the actually inner working of the Tailcap) might be able to have some added material built on to it, to pretty much replicate the look of the McE2s Trim Tailcap.

I hope that my post makes sense, and if there are any questions please feel free to let me know.

All My Best,
John

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Just a friendly bump to see if any of the craftsmen/craftswomen might be able to do such a thing as described above.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I believe the answer is "nope". The U2 can't stand in candle mode. I'm not sure if the McGizmo tailcaps fit it, but if they did, you could get a trim tailcap for it.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tailcap is a standard Z59 clickie so nope, the McTailcaps won't fit since they're for E series.
I don't think there is enough demand to remake a P series compatible alternate tailcap. You might want to check out the Z49 bk which is also a clickie but larger with a rubber shroud that allows the light to stand on it. It's much larger than the Z59 though...

Sixpointone

Enlightened
GreenLED, you are correct. My friend has a U2, and in stock form it is unable to stand in candle mode. And being I have the L4 I can confirm that the McE2s would not fit size wise. Plus if it did, the circuitry would likely not be a match.

KongFuChicken, that Z49 might be what I am looking for. If it is a Clicky that would be great. Might you have a picture, or know where I could fin, a size comparison between the Z49 and Z59? And is the Z49 in HAIII?

Grubbster, you are correct to say that that is the style of Butt Cap I would like, but since that is for the Z57, I do not think it will fit a U2.

JTice, thanks for that link. It is tough for me to gauge visually on the computer, without seeinf it in person, but I think the Z49 might be what I am looking for. but I agree I'd prefer a Clickie. According to KongFu, it very well might be a clickie. As for the SW02, I could be incorrect, but it looks like it might be too narrow at the bottom to effectively stand in a Guarded Tailcap mode.

Thanks All for Your Help so far!,
John

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Z49 is a clickie, has the same rubber shroud as the SW02 and does tailstand on flat surfaces with no problem. I'm not sure about the HA part though; if I had to guess, I'd say it's not HA3 but I could be wrong.
There is an awesome picture by Al (size15) on Pk's website under his section that shows every SF clickie together.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
KongFuChicken,

Thank You very much for the information. In addition you are correct, the pictures of the Tailcaps are great.

As a quick update I guess I am going to hold off on the U2 until such a time that I see what the 2006 SureFire product line will be.

And who knows, I can always hope that the Z49 might by them by a HA3 finish, or that the SW02 might be available in a Color to match the U2.

Thanks again, I truly appreciate the helping hand.

Regards,
John

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
Jar3ds points out here that the F04 beamshaper is a good fit to the U2's tail switch. I've tried it and he's right, but I only have one F04 so I don't want to take the lens out to fit it perminantly.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
:caution: The Z48, Z49 and SW02 will not fit all U2s ... mine won't work with those tailcaps. Although Al said most U2s will work with them.

The SW02 is HA-NAT and the coolest tailcap on this planet with the E2d cap a close second ... :D

bernie