Do Pelican rechargeable incans suck?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering. They get virtually NO airtime, good, bad or ugly here on CPF. Heck, even the frickin' Zero light got several threads! What is the story? Anyone have one of these? Are they unmoddable?

:shrug:

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Hmmm, you're right.

As a matter of fact, the only Pelican light I read about regularly on CPF is the M6 H3.

I checked out Pelican's website, and it seems that almost all of their rechargeable lights are made of plastic (Big Ed, Little Ed, Stealthlite, M11). OK, they're ABS resin so they should be pretty durable. Nevertheless, I tend to make the negative association of a non-metal flashlight with 99 cent cheapo 2-D flashlights. (Having said that, I do have a couple Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon 4AAs on the way from Fox International, so don't pile on me for being prejudiced against plastic flashlights...)

There's not much of a cost differential between the Pelican rechargeable lights and metal lights with comparable performance (e.g. M11 vs. Magcharger). It's arguably a fallacy that a metal flashlight is better quality than a plastic one, but I think that's a factor.

I thought you had a Big D Rechargeable? I clearly remember your thread about using the Big D high-output bulb instead of a potted Carley or Welch-Allyn lamp...

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our agency now issues Pelican M11 4 C plastic flashlights. They have a long runtime. I find the beam rather narrow. It would be good for penetrating fog, smoke, etc. it is very light weight and serves as an alkaline powered backup light.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Pelicans makes awesome quality lights, no doubt about it. Pila also makes good lights. Both are underrated 'round here.

The Peli M6 HAiii is getting a lot of attention 'cuz it started as a CPF only thing (the Peli M6 kicks wazoo, BTW).

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hooked, you're right, I do have a Pelican Big D and love it. Good memory!

It was the traditional tube shaped lights I was referring to, ala M11. You'd think someone would have one of these. They aren't even reviewed anywhere. That's just VERY un-CPF-like. The M11 has the same CP rating as the stock MC. Hmm.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a M9, M11 and M12..All are good quality lights. Pelican redesigned the lamp for the M11/12, so it's more flood like. the M9 still has a smooth reflector adn VERY narrow beam. Throws great.

--dan

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned two Pelican rechargeables: The Black Knight M9 and the Stealthlite. Both threw far beyond what their size would suggest. I've also owned the nonrechargeable version of their 4C Prolite. It's the best flooder I've ever owned.

I've moved away from Pelican chiefly because I now prefer flood over throw and Pilas over other cells.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own an M9, and it works every bit as well as my Stinger. A few more artifacts maybe, but I won't be getting rid of it.