Nitepalm and LEDwave

socom45

Newly Enlightened
I've just noticed some new products here in the UK from a company called NITE. They are the ones that do the glow rings, a PC8 outdoor and police torch (same basic operation as the inova 24/7....but better in my opinion) and multi mode led torch.
Does anyone know anything about these products, how good they are? and more importantly if anyone is interested in getting these?

On another product, the LEDwave or OMBU X-55, X-33, and Z-3 targeter flashlights these lights look comparible to surefire not to mention the runtimes, build quality and output are similar... with of course the price being less (in the UK). I will always be a faithful customer of Surefire, but these look worth looking at. Any ideas, suggestions, opinions, or interests???

Last edited:

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Socom

A word of caution! I too have seen the advertisements for Nite and Ledwave/Ombu lights. In fact the Nite Multi mode police light has been out for a while but I still haven't been convinced to buy one.

My experiences of Inova, Streamlight and Surefire are all positive and I know I can trust their products and perhaps more importantly their warrantees. The 'risk' of cheaper products from less well known manufacturers is that although they may initially perform well the longer term performance may be so bad as to wipe out any potential cost savings? I also feel that most of the products you have mentioned have not seen service (in any great numbers) with major users, such as the police or military. This may not reflect on the actual product of course, but might be because the manufacturers haven't got the financial clout to put their products through mandatory acceptance trials? Whichever it is I still wouldn't invest my hard earned cash in unknown manufacturers until I know their product performs as well as the ones I've come to know and trust!

Doug

PS! If you buy them and can give a positive feedback I might be persuaded?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LEDWave Z-3 (see my review) is an outstanding bargain; it's completely Surefire compatible. I'm using the Z-3 body with the following add-ons:
  • Surefire A19 extender
  • Surefire Z44 tactical head (from C3)
  • Surefire Z34 diffuser
  • Surefire Z49 clickie tailswitch
  • Surefire lanyard ring for head end
  • Surefire lanyard ring for tail end
  • G&P 12V bulb (from Emilion)
The Z-3 is claimed to be hard-anodized--unheard of for a 3x123A light at this price point ($45 to 450 plus shipping in the USA).

The 43mm miniturbo head is a real thrower; with a 12V G&P lamp assembly and three Pila 168S cells, it's a scorcher.

In short, I recommend the Z-3 as-is or as a low-cost mod platform.

socom45

Newly Enlightened
I've read that over here in the UK the nitePalm PC8 is actually used by the police and the LEDWave X-55 is used by the UK Special forces (SAS) and I'm sure they would of been given plenty of alternatives to use but they chose to use these. Please go to www.h3products.com and look at the info they give on these two particular items. Also if you go to www.nitepalm.com/ukbroad/ and click enter, they state that they deal with the police and military. In particular, I'd like to try the PC8 myself as I've always heard and read about the innova 24/7 but I didn't like the yellow color, and would also rather have the green led's. I also wouldn't mind comparing some of the other lights to surefire (though surefire will still be my favorite).
I also heard the internal components were mainly American. Can anyone comment on this or know how good the internals are?

LEDGloworm

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at these, especially the LEDwave z-3. They seam to stand up well to surefire build and spec and at the end of the day what is the advantage of a surefire anyway? To me I feel that they have always been overpriced.

The difference is that they are new to us but they have been well respected in Europe by their military and police.
I'd say, pound for pound you can't go wrong with them.

Surefire :touche: Ledwave

You decide................

LEDGloworm

Newly Enlightened
Schuey2002 said:
:bump:

What about the Nitepalm glowrings (like the ones for sale on E-bay), are they any good?

Well I think they are quite cool, and my customers seem to like them also, lol :grin2:

My ebay seller ID is Raven-Tech, why not check my Glowrings and feedback out if you get a chance. Would make a great stocking filler for someone this Christmas. Get a lovely pink one for the lady in your life to help her find her keys in her handbag on those dark nights (they carry so much in them anyway I'm surprised they find anything as it is :thinking: )

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
Looks like www.flashlightreviews.com will be reviewing the nitepalm units soon. Based on the nitepalm website http://www.nitepalm.com/uknarrow/, I can only say :sleepy: . Well, I would have used a "yawn" smilie, but I couldn't find one. They don't look too inspiring, and the website doesn't help, but this proves nothing, so I will wait for the review, then go back to sleep. :grin2: