I think you people are sick

LightRay

Newly Enlightened
I ask a simple question about whether the streamlight jr. is a good light for the car, and I get one response from somebody who gives me a bit of good information, and that's it. This is a real need for me (no, I'm not someone who collects flashlights and modifies them just for the hell of it), but nobody wants to help.

Then you get people asking questions about flashlight games and they get more responses. Or someone asks when is the last time you really needed a flashlight, and gets a bunch of responses. Then people are asking which two hundred dollar flashlight they should get. I mean come on - this is fetishism. This board should be helpful to people who have a question, but instead everyone is drowning in their own flashlight addiction and forgetting that it's just a freaking flashlight.

So, now that I've gotten that off my chest - is the streamlight jr. (non luxeon) a good light for the car, or should I return it and get something else. my price range is twenty dollars of less. BTW, the light will be used for checking maps, looking for stuff in the dark (that's what a flashlight is for guys and gals) and changing a flat tire should the need arise.

Thank you.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightRay said:
I ask a simple question about whether the streamlight jr. is a good light for the car, and I get one response from somebody who gives me a bit of good information, and that's it. This is a real need for me (no, I'm not someone who collects flashlights and modifies them just for the hell of it), but nobody wants to help.

Then you get people asking questions about flashlight games and they get more responses. Or someone asks when is the last time you really needed a flashlight, and gets a bunch of responses. Then people are asking which two hundred dollar flashlight they should get. I mean come on - this is fetishism. This board should be helpful to people who have a question, but instead everyone is drowning in their own flashlight addiction and forgetting that it's just a freaking flashlight.

So, now that I've gotten that off my chest - is the streamlight jr. (non luxeon) a good light for the car, or should I return it and get something else. my price range is twenty dollars of less. BTW, the light will be used for checking maps, looking for stuff in the dark (that's what a flashlight is for guys and gals) and changing a flat tire should the need arise.

Thank you.

I'm not entirely certain this is the best way to get the response you seek. It is entirely possible that in the the short time your previous post was up, no one that actually had a Streamlight Jr. (non-luxeon) saw it. If you want useful recommendations you might try a bit of patience. Sometimes no one posts to a topic, it happens but it isn't the end of the world.

Would you prefer an answer from someone that doesn't have the light, hasn't seen, or used it? The info that has been given regards your application if not the specific light to which you refer, with that information you can make your own judgement. You might look for threads that talk about good lights to keep in cars for more information.

Good luck on your quest and enjoy your stay here.
-LT

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the car I would much rather have a headlamp, since you will need to have your hands free when folding maps, changing tires or doing other car related stuff. I don't have any experience with the following, but it appear to be decent and it is in your price range ($15) :River Rock 0.5W LED Headlamp.

Sigbjoern

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the Dorcy 3-AAA suggestion at Walmart. I have it and it's bright...uses typical AAA cells -- perfect for those without a flashlight fetish.

If you wanted something to keep in the car, you really should consider something that takes CR123's because of the shelf-life of the batteries...an Inova or something.

Oh, and BYE! :D

JM-99

Last edited:

Jeffie

Newly Enlightened
I've got one of the nuwai 3w luxeon's, and they arent bad for
35$, and uses 3AAA, so I have rechargeables in it.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
How about an LED headlamp instead - frees up both hands for the task?

Yeah, we are a bunch of sickos - at least I resemble that comment...by the way, "Welcome to our sick world"!! :D

...oh and I'll throw this in - if you're gonna keep it in the car, then go with lithium batteries (longer shelf life, better "regulation", perform better in the cold, not prone to leakage).

I'm not a "hotwire" guy (incandescent) - I like long running LEDs. Check out one of the flashlight review sites and you'll find way more information than you seem to be looking for - but hey, one has to be an informed consumer.

This really isn't "rocket science"...

Do you want something with easy to find/replace batteries or something exotic? Geesh, the menu is overwhelming eh?

A Streamlight 4AA LED is a GREAT choice!! Walmart has a great selection of LED lights...REI...Sports Authority...

www.brightguy.com
www.ledmuseum.org
www.flashlightreviews.com

Here's a GREAT resource: Brock's LED Flashlight Page

etc, etc, etc, etc,...

Oh I forgot - you wouldn't ask what's the best screwdriver to use is, would you?! A "Flashaholic" could NEVER be satisfied with 1 flashlight - you'll probably need several for your car, then there's your home, and Every Day Carry (on your person), workplace, etc.....:ohgeez:

Last edited:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't pay any attention to all these crazy flashlight guys and gals, I just wish they would go find some flashlight forum to hang around on instead of crowding up this place.. :)
Your climate is important, if you live in a cold climate you would probally want a light that has lithium batteries available, they don't mind the cold.
What is a Car flashlight? Is it to read maps or use in roadside assistance? One light for both applications isn't always possible.. Is the light going to get alot of use or is it something to hide away in the glove box until it is called to duty?
There are many variables in your question, and you certainly came to the right place for answers, hang on tight though, there are alot of people here who will assist you, but your question is a bit vague so far, all the stuff you think is irrelevant in the responses are just stepping stones for you.
So to answer your question, then Yes, it is a good light for a car, actually, no, it's not. :thinking:
You mentioned something about "flashlight games", can you guide me to that post, so far the only game I have is trying to hide the receipts from my wife, it's really fun, but I'm the only one who knows I'm playing it :sssh: .
Enjoy your stay here, you will get your answer, just be prepared to hear the details.. After all, there are alot of places to put flashlights lights in cars :whistle: .

CLHC

Flashaholic
Not knowing where you hail from—if there's a Target in your area you can try looking up the River Rock Design lights. They are very reasonable—mostly under $20.00. The exception being is the 1.5W LED Lantern (normally at $20.00) which is very well built and puts out a decent amount of lighting for the price.

Other than that, I've seen the Streamlight Jr. but know nothing of it therefore no comment.

You can also buy one of those drop-in LED replacements for the Mag-Light 2AA that can be ordered from LED-Replacement. It works just fine and provides a suitable amount of light. Besides, the one that I have can use the Energizer Lithiums. I would venture to say that that can be an excellent glove compartment flashlight. . .

Hope you find what you are looking for and Enjoy!

LightRay

Newly Enlightened
Lunal Tic: You're 100% right - my tone was rough. But now the true beauty and power of this forum is bearing fruit. Look at all the useful suggestions I have now. Thanks everyone, and sorry for the tone - I was angry about some other stuff. You guys are great.

-LightRay

MrBadger

Newly Enlightened
I am always impressed with the members of this board. In some othes I have seen you would have been...nevermind. I hope you have the decency to say "I'm sorry" to them.

I don't have that light. Maybe you should open it and fire it up. if it works for your needs, great. If not, find out what your needs are, then search out something that fits. If there is nothing out there on the market, maybe one of the "sickening" members here could make something for you. It seems to always happen that it is people on the exteem end of things are the ones inovating new technology for people like you to use.

Peace,

sniper

Enlightened
Hie thee to a Walmart, brother light person, and buy a Nite IZE upgrade. THEN find a Mini Mag, Brinkmann, or Quest Clone. Install same in same. For little $ you have a great car light. For a little more, the UK 4AA eLed cannot be beat. Bright, runtime, light, and handy. Lithiums are really expen$ive. Change your AAs regularly. I LIKE modding lights just for the hell of it!, So there!

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pydpiper said:
You mentioned something about "flashlight games", can you guide me to that post, so far the only game I have is trying to hide the receipts from my wife, it's really fun, but I'm the only one who knows I'm playing it :sssh: .

Hehehe.... You're a funny guy! :crackup:

And a :bump: to get more info on this 'flashlight game' thread.

Anybody know if the SL Junior can use lithium AA's?

edit: oh wait, he's talking about a non-luxeon SL Jr.? So that's an incandecent? I didn't even know they made such a thing. I that case, I'd say 'no', not a good light for your car.

Last edited:

MrBadger

Newly Enlightened
LightRay said:
Lunal Tic: You're 100% right - my tone was rough. But now the true beauty and power of this forum is bearing fruit. Look at all the useful suggestions I have now. Thanks everyone, and sorry for the tone - I was angry about some other stuff. You guys are great.

-LightRay

So few people left these days that would respond this way.

Good man.

Peace,

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightRay said:
... is the streamlight jr. (non luxeon) a good light for the car, or should I return it and get something else. my price range is twenty dollars of less. BTW, the light will be used for checking maps, looking for stuff in the dark...
I've only used the Luxeon version, but the incandescent Jr is probably OK for about $10.

However in the $20 price range your best bang for the buck is probably the Brinkmann Maxfire LX. It has far more output than the Streamlight, and the lithium batteries are a better choice for vehicle temperature extremes:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/brinkmann_maxfirelx.htm

vic303

Enlightened
For headlamp look at the Nuwai 712. H-M-L output levels, battery power indicator, LED Luxeon 1W, blink mode, and runs on cr123's.

For a traditional flashlight, the Nuwai QIII in $29 at Amondo tech, or you can try Fox International for good prices on STreamlights (try the SL 4AA luxeon).