Still having Gladius problems!

ksshooter

Newly Enlightened
I was hoping that Ken Good could once again help me with this light. I will try to explain the problem I am having clearly. Basicly this is one of the new HA models and it is not working reliably 100% of the time. I intially thought the problems were in the tail cap and received another tail cap and I am still having the same problems. If the tail cap isn't very tight to the body there are times I will have complete light failure untill I loosen and then retighten the cap again. Please don't reply with the warnings about installing the batteries this is not the problem. Ken I am very thankfull for your help by getting me a new tail cap but unfortunatly this didn't resolve the problem. Did I just get a bad light that has very random outages? At this point I need this light so sending it into Blackhawk really isn't an option for me, and the company that sold it to me said he would refund my money he just doesn't have any more Gladius in stock. I am in a hard spot. I just don't feel comfortable carrying a Gladius on duty that isn't 100% 100% of the time.

*Bryan*

Enlightened
I have that issue every once in a while with my original Gladius. Ceramic coating one. Usually, I didn't tighten the tailcap enough, but sometimes I have to lossen and retighten.

I don't use my light with purpose like you but it would be nice to know why this happens.

NextLight

Enlightened
ksshooter said:
.....I just don't feel comfortable carrying a Gladius on duty that isn't 100% 100% of the time.

Nor should you...

I suggest returning it for refund, and ordering another from a differrent supplier, in parallel.

kukula

Enlightened
I had this happen to me on several occasions too. The most recent one is just ten minutes ago. I turned on the strobe, it fires up then suddenly...nothing. Since this has happend to me several times now I immediately know the tail cap is loose. So I tightened it up. Strange thing though since now the tail cap is almost tight, just needed to turn maybe on tenth of an inch. To me its really not a big issue since i am simply Joe Average guy. But for an LEO officer like you, I know this is a big thing. I hope Ken resolves your problem soon. Take care out there

Chris

bagman

Enlightened
Do we have any clues why this is happening?

I've carried my Gladius every shift for months now and have never had this osrt of problem.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
My new Gladius is hands down my favorite light.
I carry it on duty and use it off duty as well. One incredibly well thought out tool.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
ksshooter said:
I was hoping that Ken Good could once again help me with this light. I will try to explain the problem I am having clearly. Basicly this is one of the new HA models and it is not working reliably 100% of the time. I intially thought the problems were in the tail cap and received another tail cap and I am still having the same problems. If the tail cap isn't very tight to the body there are times I will have complete light failure untill I loosen and then retighten the cap again. Please don't reply with the warnings about installing the batteries this is not the problem. Ken I am very thankfull for your help by getting me a new tail cap but unfortunatly this didn't resolve the problem. Did I just get a bad light that has very random outages? At this point I need this light so sending it into Blackhawk really isn't an option for me, and the company that sold it to me said he would refund my money he just doesn't have any more Gladius in stock. I am in a hard spot. I just don't feel comfortable carrying a Gladius on duty that isn't 100% 100% of the time.

The description above sounds like operator error and not flashlight error.
If the light only does this when the tailcap is not completely tightened down, then you need to be sure it is always completely tightened. My Gladius does get noticeably and progressively harder to turn during it's last 1/3 of a revolution as it goes over the O-ring. When it is completely tightened there is a very positive stop to the threading process.

I am not saying there cannot be anything wrong with your light. I am just saying your description sounds more like user error. Have you tried a little grease on the O-ring to make the last 1/3 of a turn a little easier and the end of the threading process more posititvely identifiable?

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
It could be that the threads got coated during the HA process and you're not getting good electrical contact between the body and the tailcap. Try cleaning the threads using a Dremel Tool with a wire brush wheel to clean the threads.

cliff

Newly Enlightened
One thing you might check is that little nib on the inside of the tailcap that fits into the groove inside the battery case. If there is anything wrong with it, or if you have worn it down even slightly that will create a problem.

In July I put six of those Gladius lights on the street with some fairly active folks to see how they would work. The consensus is that these are the best police lights anyone has seen, but tailcaps had to be replaced on three of them. Two had the little nibs completely missing and one was worn down and function was erratic.

I believe the "nib" problems are caused by improperly installing the tailcap when changing batteries. More than likely, the nib is not aligned properly and the cap is screwed down anyway - breaking or wearing off the nib. Of course, you can't get anyone to admit they did this, but I'll bet that is what happened.