Luxeon III bin identification please (pic)

grnamin

Enlightened
Would I be correct to say that this Luxeon III star from a Princeton Tec Eos is an RX0K? Please advise.
orig.jpg

Sengoku

Enlightened
Your correct but R bins are 1w luxeons, not Luxeon III, yet the brightest you can get for a 1w.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the pic; if you went back in time, say 20 years, and told someone the printed circuit was for a miniature flashlight, they would probably laugh at you.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeon I RX0K

R
flux 39.8- 51.7

XO
color tint

K
Vf 3.51-3.75

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the electronics of the EOS, but sometimes with shallower reflectors intended for fairly close up work, the line is blurred between Lux Is and Lux IIIs... THe RYAK in my Dorcy 3D Super 1W seems just as bright as a direct drive 3W TV1L or TV1K until you start trying to light up distances past 50 or 60 yards.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats an excellent bin, R is very bright and X0 is as white as it gets. K is a bit higher than many would prefer, but is still a very respectable forward voltage. You have yourself a winner.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Chevrofreak wrote:
"Thats an excellent bin, R is very bright and X0 is as white as it gets"

From looking at the bin code chart, old and new, wouldn't WO be whiter? They are close to each other on the chart, but where the line goes through for the older coding system seems to also suggest that the WO is whiter, being in the old 3 code (white), and XO being in the 4 (bluish).

Last edited:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
That regulator circuit looks like it has a thermistor in contact with the heat sink - meaning it probably has some kind of thermal protection and/or temperature-controlled regulation on board. Props to PT for that.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Hmmm... My EOS has a PX1H star. Not as white or bright as I'd like (it seems dimmer now that I replaced the optic with a reflector, because the beam is spread out wider I guess). I've been meaning to swap in a TWOH star. That should make it a little brighter and whiter without affecting the runtime, right?

lamperich

Enlightened
vtunderground said:
Hmmm... My EOS has a PX1H star. Not as white or bright as I'd like (it seems dimmer now that I replaced the optic with a reflector, because the beam is spread out wider I guess). I've been meaning to swap in a TWOH star. That should make it a little brighter and whiter without affecting the runtime, right?

hard to say...

please notice H bin have both BUT Lux3 are rated @ 700 vs. Lux1 @ 350mA

but you don´t know if the regulation can handle this or have a benefit of such a lower rank.

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
TorchMan said:
Chevrofreak wrote:
"Thats an excellent bin, R is very bright and X0 is as white as it gets"

From looking at the bin code chart, old and new, wouldn't WO be whiter? They are close to each other on the chart, but where the line goes through for the older coding system seems to also suggest that the WO is whiter, being in the old 3 code (white), and XO being in the 4 (bluish).

In my experience X0 is the whitest. A few may have a slight blue tint to them, but that is preferable to the pinkish tint I've found in some W0's. X0 is also the smallest bin so the LED's should be fairly uniform. LED's that fall to the X0 side of the X0/W0 border should be as perfect as you can get.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Chevrofreak,

Thanks for the answer, and for sharing your real world experience on the bins!