A couple of new items

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sanyo's new AA cells don't strike me as such a big deal. Only 1900 mAH; the only improvement is the low rate of self-discharge.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm afraid I'll have to disagree, I think the reduced self-discharge rate is very signficant.

If those cells really have that extremely low rate of self-discharge it means I can stop using alkalines in emergency stuff that can't take lithiums. I'm not so worried about "only" 1900 mAh since I have old 1600 mAh cells that still provide a lot of good use (will run my radio scanner for a full 8 hours for example).

I really like the idea of being able to finally use rechargables in things like my wall clocks, smoke detectors, radio scanner, and so forth with no real self-discharge worries.

aosty

Enlightened
I completely agree with your disagreement.

Any idea when these will be available in the US? Google didn't find much.

Thanks.

P.S. My first post!

zespectre said:
I'm afraid I'll have to disagree, I think the reduced self-discharge rate is very signficant.

If those cells really have that extremely low rate of self-discharge it means I can stop using alkalines in emergency stuff that can't take lithiums. I'm not so worried about "only" 1900 mAh since I have old 1600 mAh cells that still provide a lot of good use (will run my radio scanner for a full 8 hours for example).

I really like the idea of being able to finally use rechargables in things like my wall clocks, smoke detectors, radio scanner, and so forth with no real self-discharge worries.

Futuristic

Newly Enlightened
aosty said:
Any idea when these will be available in the US? Google didn't find much.

Well, after looking around it says here that the AAs should go on sale in Japan around Nov. 14th. They then say the AAAs will hit Japan in January. So I infer that they mean the AAs and AAAs will be in the US even later.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,123366,00.asp

Also info here

http://www.sanyo.co.jp/koho/hypertext4-eng/0511/1101-2e.html

Looks interesting. I don't think I would use them in Smoke Detectors, but just about any other long term use they look good.

Futuristic

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be all over a NiMH cell that doesn't self-discharge. It wasn't that long ago that 1900 mAh was a lot. In my mind, it kinda sucks that a fully charged NiMH cell is practically flat after sitting for a month or two. I can't tell you how many times I've grabbed the digital camera, only to find it's been too long since I last charged it up.

This is a very good thing.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
I agree. I think the low self discharge rate will be very appealing to many users.
I did the currency conversion. 1100 yen came to 9.37 dollars. For two.