Fenix Battery Mod...?

LEDSABER

Newly Enlightened
Can you mod a Fenix to run on a single CR123 battery? I currently have a T1 Inova, I like the throw but feels kinda big for EDC. I have easy access right now to CR123 batteries that's why I'm interested in EDC that uses CR123. QIII seems good, but I've heard the throw is not great. Can you mod a QIII for better throw?:shrug:

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if the diameter of the Fenix would allow modding to take a CR123 cell, or if the electronics would survive the increased voltage.

The beauty of the Fenix: it is of a rare breed of high quality, nice light output flashlights that take a single AA battery. There are many, many other lights designed to take a single CR123 cell. Many of them are affordable too.

Again, there are A LOT of single cell CR123 lights to choose from!

Adam

LEDSABER

Newly Enlightened
hookoo said:
mod the q3 with a 20mm reflector. avail. at the shoppe

So if I mod the Q3 with this reflector it will have the throw of the T1?

Thanks for the link jkuo3.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to flashlightreviews.com, the stock Q3 has as much throw as the T1 and a lot more sidespill as well. Using the generic 'let's see how far away I can light something up' test, my Fenix doesn't feel like it has much less throw than the Q3 which is surprising considering the Fenix is 1 watt vs 3 watts and it only has a 1.2V (NiMH) cell vs a 3V cell. And the widest corona of the Fenix is larger than that of the Q3.

With the Q3, some folks like to change the reflector (giving more throw), put in a mineral glass lens (allowing more light through than the stock) and run a rechargeable RCR123 putting out about 20 more brightness but less runtime. I haven't changed my reflector yet, but I'm going to get one just to check out the difference.

I love my Q3 - mine has a TWOJ star and a 2 stage tailcap - and could live with either the Q3 or the Fenix, but overall, I think the Fenix makes more sense to me... Just wish it had that 2 stage tailcap.

win67

Newly Enlightened
LEDSABER said:
Can you mod a Fenix to run on a single CR123 battery? QIII seems good, but I've heard the throw is not great. Can you mod a QIII for better throw?:shrug:

My two QIII have a little bit more throw than my fenix l1p. One of my qIII is a little bit more yellowish than the fenix l1P, but my other qIII is just as white as the fenix l1P. Depends just on the lottery... The throw of qIII is broader, but still a little bit more intense and reaches more far than the fenix l1P. Also, the qIII has smaller but more intense sidespill, which I like more. So for me, qIII has the better quality of light... but it takes 700-800 mA out of an expensive 123-Cell and the fenix takes just a common and cheap AA-Cell... I use recharegeables. My QIII runs with an Li-Ion 650 mAh R123 45 Minutes, the haye to change R123 within minutes. The Fenix runs with an AA-NiMH (2500 mAH Sanyo and ansmann charger) about 2,5 hours and then gives more than an half hour diminishing but useful light. qiii gets very hot with r123 cell, fenix stays cool.

I didn't have made any mods.

For me, the fenix l1p is the more reasonable light, because AA-Cells more available and cheaper. Also fenix is a little bit smaller in diameter. But qIII has wall of light, fenix is just "bright".

So, if You want to use CR123, for me it would be clear to buy a q III, it's even cheaper than a fenix l1p!

Qiii is good quality, looks cooler, but no HAIII-anodizing and plastic lens, holster of fenix is also better than that of the qIII.

LEDSABER

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. I researched the Q3 based on some info I got from this thread. It looks like I can get a souped up Q3 with miniiral glass lens, HA3, and a better LED. What's funny is I am thinking of getting a Peak Caribbian now:crazy: . I really like a small EDC and the Fenix is really good for the price, but I have tons of CR123 battery. The Peak is even smaller than the Feniz and is regulated. Decisions ...decisions