Economical LED flashlight? ('Newbie' Question)

TheFlash

Newly Enlightened
I'm still rather a newbie to flashlights and there are so many flashlight makers and models nowadays - I need all of your opinions & help:

I'm looking for a flashlight with:
1) metal-body
2) LED bulb
3) clickie tailcap switch
4) economical price ($10-$30)
5) Doesn't matter whether it uses CR123 or AA batteries.

Can anyone make some recommendations?
Maybe something like the Streamlight Twin Task 1L?

Thank you!
Mike

Last edited:

Tritium

Enlightened
Nuwai Q-III is available from Amondotech.com in that price range. It uses a single CR123 and a 3watt led. It has a reverse clicky.

Thurmond

cslinger

Enlightened
Take a look at the Inova line of lights specifically the T1, T2 and T3. Very very high quality lights for the money. The T1 runs around $30 or so.

Chris

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you prefer a flood light, check out the 19-LED Quake II and 21-LED MEK. Each is a 2x123a metal body, a reverse-clickie tailcap, and 23,000 mcd LEDs for about 400,000 lux. Each draws about 2.4 or 2.5 watts and is available for less than $10 from CPF dealer Dae at szwholesale. The Quake II is reviewed by Flashlight Reviews and by me (in the Reviews forum).

I own both. My only caution is that each is prone to have 1 to 3 LEDs stop working in wet weather. One the air is dry, they're usually fine.

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might consider the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon. Runs on 2AA with good output and runtime. Highly regarded and very well reviewed.

The SL Twin Tasks are excellent, but have a side switch and not a tail clickie.

Mark

TheFlash

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all your suggestions!
I took the plunge and ordered a couple of Nuwai Q-IIIs from Amondotech.com.

I think I'll also need to pick up one of the Streamlight JRs, too...

Couldn't really find any retail places for the Fenix L1P and the Nuwai and Streamlight offerings seemed to be a bit closer to my price point than the Inova lights...

Thank you again for all your help!

-Mike

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
ALL EXCELLENT suggestions!! Don't forget those "Elements" that are available at Sam's Club (hopefully you have one nearby?) for about $15 each (2 to a package for $30 or so)!!!

A WORTHY torch for the price!!

TheFlash

Newly Enlightened
Sigman,
I only have Walmarts near me - no Sam's Clubs. (Same type of store???)

What is an "Element"?
Can I get them at Walmart, or are they only available at Sam's Clubs?

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. Took another look at those Inova lights and I'm quite impressed. Even those X1s would make for nice stocking stuffers!

Last edited:

AshA4

Banned
Hello, first time poster but have been reading the forums for months now.

The Sam's Club Element 2 pack, GREAT deal!! They may not be exactly what you are looking for and you may not be able to get some in your area but I had to chime in and praise them. I even emailed flashlightreviews.com and requested he take a look at them.

I've seen them being sold on Ebay for twice the price at Sam's and I felt the duty to email the bidders and let them know where they can be had for half the price. If you absolutely cannot visit a Sam's Club perhaps Ebay is an option.

Good luck!

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
I am thrilled with my new Inova T1. Very nice feel to the housing, and I dig the minimalist look of the body. Very good beam on it also. I think you can't go wrong with this light.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
AshA4 said:
Hello, first time poster but have been reading the forums for months now.

The Sam's Club Element 2 pack, GREAT deal!! They may not be exactly what you are looking for and you may not be able to get some in your area but I had to chime in and praise them. I even emailed flashlightreviews.com and requested he take a look at them.

I've seen them being sold on Ebay for twice the price at Sam's and I felt the duty to email the bidders and let them know where they can be had for half the price. If you absolutely cannot visit a Sam's Club perhaps Ebay is an option.

Good luck!

I picked up a 2 pack of the Element lights at my local Sam's Club for $29 (including sales tax). For less than $15 each, these 3AAA lights are awesome! They come close in light output and spill as my more expensive Streamlight 4AA ProPoly Luxeon flashlight. I'm not sure about battery life, but I've ran one of the Elements for about 2 hours so far without any noticeable decrease in light output.

My only minor gripe is the battery carrier that you pop the batteries into. It might make battery changes tough in the dark, but this is only a very minor complaint.

Last edited:

sniper

Enlightened
O.K.: Mini Mag at Walmart:$7.89, Nite ize module $4.97=$12.86, plus whatever taxes your locality imposes. Not clickie, but another $5 will solve that. Less than $20, and you have a rather neat little light. I used to hate the twist-on-then-focus, focus, focus... feature on the MM, but the NiteIze only needs about 1/4 turn or less to be on/off. Much handier than the original MMag design, I think.

Mag Lights needs to upgrade its offerings, if it is to survive.

I have never seen the clickie/NiteIze combo, but it looks like it would solve the problem with one purchase.

EVERYBODY, Now! SING!!!

That old black Maglight has me in its spell,
That old Black Maglight that shines so well.
Those Icy Fingers up and down my spine
Monsters in the lake when
I had too much wine......
With apologies to Johnny Mercer, and especially Louis Prima and Keeley Smith, who performed the best rendition ever. :)

Last edited: