battery /charger

Spidey82

Enlightened
does anyone have the spec of the energizer rechargeble???
and wats the different between rechargables alkaline charger , ni-cal charger and Ni-Mh charger??
don't they just charge battries???
thanx of any inputs.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The rechargeable alkaline cells are hardly used, as they aren't rechargeable as many times as NiCd or NiMH cells, and the amount of power is less with alk cells as well.

Chargers for NiCd and NiMH cells are pretty much interchangeable. I have seen chargers with a switch to change from one type of cell to the other. The idea is that NiCd's can be charged at a higher rate than NiMH cells. With the charger I looked at, the charge rate for the NiCd was less than the maximum charge rate for the NiMH, so the switch was meaningless. I do typically charge smaller cells (AA) at 150 mAH, and larger ones at 350 mAH, just to avoid heating the cells while charging. While some heating is OK, too much heat can shorten battery life. Walt

Spidey82

Enlightened
u mean i could jus use a NiMH charger for NiCD without the switch, jus that i might shorton the battery life rite??
the battery i have have a fast charge rate of 325mAh and slow rate @ 130mAh. but my charger which comes with the battery is rated @ 100mAh so i guess i will have to charge for a mich longer time.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
After spending over $100 in batteries and chargers I can tell you rechargeable alkalines are junk. They fine when brand new. But after a while they do leak. They're not supposed to but they do. I've ruined a Mag-Lite and several radios. And they stink for flashlight use. The only good charge is the first one from the store. It goes downhill from there. I used the Rayovac rechargeable alkalines and chargers. It was a great charger. It automatically detected alkalines, nicads and nimhs. And charged accordingly. Then shut itself off when done charging. But I threw it away after 4 D cells leaked and got acid all over it.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I also haven't had much luck with rechargeable alkalines. Seems like a good idea, they just really aren't that great. I guess that maybe you get about twice the life of normal alkalines, as you should for twice the price, but after 2 or 3 charges they're just pretty much useless, especially in high-drain devices. I probably won't buy any more after this batch is gone (which shouldn't be too long). I don't really like NiCads, because they seem to drain really fast (I guess because of the 1.2v thing?), but are NiMHs any better? It seems like I've heard that they're only 1.2v too.