Do you like your job?

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man what a day at work. I'm about ready to go through the roof. :xyxgun: Sometime this can be a great job but other days I just want to hang it all up and start from scratch. I work in the communications industry so thing are very complex and sometimes it's just impossible to get things done. I hate given my word to a customer just so someone else can turnaround and screw things up. Makes me look like I'm an idiot or have no credibility. Sorry just had to vent.

Anyway, I'm just curious what you think about your job. What do you like or dislike.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
I love my job. Company-sponsored lunch on Wed, bagels on Fri morning, fresh fruit and granola bars available around the clock. And that's not the 1/2 of it. Yearly paintball outing, company trips, picnics, parties, monthly birthday lunches. And those are just the perks. The company is small enough that we're all pretty close and always have each others backs. Sigh...too bad I have off tomorrow...

- Chris

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. I liked being a mechanic, machinest, computer lab tech, rehab engineer assistant, paper deliver-er, volunteer. I hate being in a call center in or out bound or inside sales. I want to work with my hands and brain, not provide a warm body to take calls or fill out forms.

lightlust

Newly Enlightened
:devil:A wise man once took his ever-present cigar out of his mouth long enough to tell me, "Kid, ya got thirty years or forty years to work. I've been doing this job for forty years, and lemme tell ya, all ya can do is make money and make friends."

He rolled the cigar slowly between his thumb and forefinger while pondering the glowing red tip for a moment, then clenched it between his teeth again.

"Of course," he growled around his stogie as he picked up his jacket, "I ain't seen a dime of that money, but I've got a helluva lotta friends. C'mon, lemme buy ya a beer!"

Truest words I ever heard.

:rant:My perspective later changed somewhat when just going home at the end of the day became a very real goal. After that change, any aggravations in not-potentially-fatal catgeories simply became part of a daily game I called "You don't have what it takes to make me mad."

Each time some cretinous buffoon did something that would cause even Charles Darwin to rip up his own famous manuscript in disgust, I simply thought of the name of that game: "You don't have what it takes to make me mad."

I play that game to this day. I don't always win, but I mostly do.

Mostly.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I've worked in a lot of jobs, many of them in them same company. I get bored two or three years after mastering a skill, so I move on.

I Like my job. Computer systems consultant. I get to work for a client for a few weeks or months, then move on to the next. Politics don't matter. Bad management decisions don't matter. I'm not a people person, so it does not bother me to end a contract and leave.

I learned many years ago that how much I enjoy a job depends soley on my outlook. If I grouse about things I get upset and that creates more angst. It's a viscious circle. If I decide to set my own challenges and goals, I can make any job more fun. That's assuming that there are no personal dangers involved, of course.

jtice

Flashaholic
Depends what day you ask me.

My boss is an @$$hole, and dumb as a rock.
But hes out of the office alot.

This week has been hell,
one computer problem after another.
Server crash, etc etc. (im the IT manager)

But, there are those days when I sit and do nothing but surf the net, and write reviews. :p

~John

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best JOB I ever had was my first one....

The summers when I was 12 & 13, a nice but perhaps foolish man hired me to MANAGE his little coin and curio shop ( Think rubber tomahawks, southwestern style incense, indian jewelery and moccasins, along with collectible coins). I was a numistmatics nut, and had the RedBook of Coin Values absolutely memorized in those days.

The first summer I worked 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. My wages??? A free lunch. I was shocked and thrilled when he gave me a $100 bonus at the end of the summer.

Second summer was five bucks a day plus lunch. The owner would come in once or twice a week to see how things were going, pick up the bank deposits and place any orders necessary for stock replacement, other than that, I ran the place; even purchased coins and jewelry that people brought in to sell.

His wife ran a great restraunt a few doors down; She would bring me a great lunch, and no doubt check up to see that I hadn't burned the place down or absconded with the inventory, but she never interfered with me that I can remember.

And you know what... I'd take that same job today at the same terms.... Man, she made good food, and I enjoyed the work.

Generally, since I quit military/government work ~20 years ago, I've been self-employed, and I find something else to do when I quit enjoying my work.

During the times I was out of ideas or out of money, I have gone to work for someone else.... Never have I had a job I could say I liked overall: Either the work sucked but the people I worked for/with were pretty cool, or the work itself was great but the people/politics sucked.

Fortunately money never really mattered enough to me to put up with a bad job for long, and since I don't have kids nor a dependant spouse, I've been mostly free to be a bum when all else fails.

Right now, my 'job' is taking care of a semi-disabled parent; While I don't like the job, I figure I owe it. And I do usually have time to mess with lights and computers and photography as well as be a news junky.. So overall, I should not be complaining as much as I do.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
Having a terrible manager or one you can't stand is one of the worst things..

- Chris

jeep44

Newly Enlightened
I'm a pipefitter. Every day is an interesting challenge,figuring why a pump ain't pumpin', or why the stuff inside the pipe isn't stayin' inside the pipe,or going where it is supposed to. Now, hanging 21 foot lengths of 2" pipe 20 feet up-I'm not so crazy about that.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I can't say I ever really liked any job I had when I was working for someone else. The problem is that all of the jobs were pretty easy to master, and then the mindless repetition eventually made it horrible. It's not just the repetitive work I found annoying, but also the repetitive hours. Every day, wake up at the same time, leave the house at the same time, start work at the same time, breaks at the same time, etc. After doing this for a few months you start to feel like an automaton. And physically getting to work is the thing I always hated the most since it was time you weren't even being paid for. In fact, the carfare was in effect another deduction.

I like being self-employed much better. I'm free to work any hours I please so long as I get the work out. I can accept or turn away work at my own whims instead of being stuck working 52 weeks a year. I don't have to commute. I don't have to deal with the general public or with workplace politics or silly company work rules. I can't say I always enjoy the work itself. Again, sometimes it's reptitive, especially the repair stuff, but not having every day a carbon copy of every other day is like a black cloud being lifted. I can say with certainty I would never work as an employee again unless it was at such a high wage that I would only have to do it for a few years.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that's a really tough questions. i would say i like what i do, and where i work is a great place to work (aside from the pay, which i should be making more of for what i do).
but like jtr said, working for someone else really bums me out. knowing that i'm making the company a lot of $$$ and not being compensated leaves a sour feeling in my mouth, and getting up and doing the same thing, in the same place leaves me with a feeling of "oh man, i just wanna get the heck out of here" all day.

if i could do the same thing, but for myself, i think i'd be very happy. maybe 10 years down the road i'll be able to :sigh:

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like a lot of what I do. I like the technology, knowledge, experience, education that I have. The business side of this business sucks, and the people that own the companies are not the best bosses that you could imagine. Even now with me owning a part of my own company, the situation is not that great.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love my job if it wasn't for a certain lazy co workers..and traffic I would love to find a job less that 5 miles away. I work around 45/hrs a week in a place that has about 200 employees. 90% females aged 20-30 :), daily fresh squeezed orange juice (they have one of those type orange juicing machines), they cover lunch, and secure parking. I just wish the ramp wasn't so steep, I scrape my S2000 daily (just slightly) going out, but not going in...My manager..who is leaving kinda looks like Kaylani Lei :( but she will be replaced by one thats even hotter. ''Work overtime?'' Sure!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
For the most part, my job is fairly repetitive. Take a call, determine which of a dozen likely scenarios the problem is, fix it or refer it to another group. Every now and then I get some interesting problem that's a challenge to solve - gotta rely on the subconscious to work those.

I have interesting co-workers and assignments vary every few weeks (3 main tasks: take calls from analysys/field techs, work trouble tickets, work provisioning). I usually enjoy it when a project rolls along - a break from the routine.

I liked most aspects of my previous job better - hardly routine; mostly project work (designing new stuff, optimizing old, fixing newly-discovered problems, researching stuff, etc). But the environment was bad - poorly-run outfit with no chance for real advancement. Small-office politics are lethal when you're on the losing side - nowhere to run.

*Retired*
I know the best job I ever had was my 12 years as a U.S. Marine.

True, the pay was worse than abysmal, the conditions were hell, the docs were always sticking you with needles as you walked down the assembly line for your 13 shots, they always gassed us with stuff that made you choke, tear, and give you a runny nose that you'd not ever imagine, running you up and down hills/mountains on 30 mile hikes that were done at a near running pace, getting cut, bruised, and generally banged up, going to bed late, only to wake up before the sun- sore from the day before, but it is was more fun than anything I've ever done in my entire life.

I had the opportunity to travel around the world, making a difference, wherever we went, be it friend, foe, or even a hungry soul. I've seen things I definitely would not have seen otherwise, and experienced so many cultures, events, and marveled at the wonders of the world- first hand.

I've worked with my fellow Marines, and experienced the rare trust you have in your fellow Marine, knowing you can trust him with your life, as you'd do for him.

Not too many jobs in this world have the same demands, nor the same intangable rewards- which go well beyond what money and goods ever will.

These sorts of things are the type of stuff that remains with you for the rest of your life, which makes your life seem more full and meaningful.

Yup, definitely the best job ever!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love my job. Unfortunately, it doesn't pay very well and there are no benefits, so it's not really a keeper, but I love it (oh yeah, I work nearly everyday (29-30 days a month)...another bad thing, except for the pay). Driving around Los Angeles, and small parts of three other counties delivering flowers, listening to the radio, stopping to eat where ever and when ever I want (which is often at home), talking and laughing with my co-workers, go home at different times (sometimes late, sometimes early). Not to mention, my bosses love me. :grin2:

SJACKAL

Enlightened
I don't like my job. It used to be good, but I don't enjoy it anymore and the feeling is stronger day by day. I guess I probably won't like working in another large organization either, coz there would be more rules, and such places often place people with paper qualification at high spots without caring if they are really up to the task.

I hope to be self-employed one day, I want to see rewards relative to efforts and capabilities. I am trying to work my way towards the life I want. It may take years but better than never.