USL compared to a M6 or M6R

Kris

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone compare a USL to a M6 or a M6R and what is the runtime on a USL?

Thanks,

Kris

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kris,

A USL is a homemade light utilizing a Mag2D host. Thus it is about 10" long, with a 2" diameter reflector. The body has been bored out to accept an 11 cell AA NiMH pack, with three of the cells actually underneath the high-current mini-rocker switch. The battery pack powers a 100 watt Osram 62138 12 volt axial filament lamp. This produces about 2200 lumens out the front of the light with a beam that is mostly flood, but with a definite hotspot. It does reach out and "throw" some but only due to its MASSIVE output. As I said, mostly it is a flood. The CAN be run for 12 or 13 minutes continuously, but the head will get so hot it will burn you, and you are forced to hold the light at the very end to avoid reaching the pain threshold due to heat. Mostly it is a hot-rod, exhibition type light. Ginseng was the first to create something like this with his Mag3D hosted Aurora.

USL stands for "Ultimate Stealth Light" because the light looks more or less just like a stock Mag2D, especially without the switch guard.

The M6 (or M6-R) is a light made by SureFire with a 2.5" diameter reflector. The LOLA puts out about 400 lumens on fresh batteries, for an hour, and the HOLA puts out about 630 lumens on fresh batteries, for about 20 minutes. The beam is an excellent combination between throw and flood and spill and smoothness. The switch is a Tail cap, push momentary, twist for constant on. The light is HA natural, and has a pyrex lens and a shock isolated bezel and pre-focused lamp assembly for a perfectly centered and focused beam. The M6-R pack is a pack I made for it that turns it into a regulated rechargable light, with 19 minutes of constant brightness runtime from the HOLA, or about 40+ minutes of runtime from the MN16 M3T HOLA, which is the M6-R LOLA. The MN20 can be used but is being underdriven by the M6-R pack and is not nearly white or bright enough, but it does OK in a pinch.

Either way, the M6 is a very useable and dependable light with amazing runtime and output for its size. And it is, of course, very well made.

The USL is a CPF special, hotrod light for amazing and awe-ing your friends and not for much else--oh, well, you can start fires and roast marshmallows with it. (No joke).

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I have all 3 and sure as heck can't add anything to what Jim said! (He did omit the incendiary and breakfast-cooking capabilities of the USL, though. :D )

Larry

Kris

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much for the info Jim. I would like to get a couple of M6-R packs if you do a second run. The USL sounds like alot of fun also.

Kris

naromtap

Enlightened
js said:
The M6 (or M6-R) is a light made by SureFire with a 2.5" diameter reflector. The LOLA puts out about 400 lumens on fresh batteries, for an hour, and the HOLA puts out about 630 lumens on fresh batteries, for about 20 minutes. (No joke).

WOW!....630lumens - I did'nt know that....how do we know that? i thought it was the standard 500lumens for the full 20mins!?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire uses midpoint voltage for its lumen figures. The 630 lumen figure is backwards extrapolated from that number based on the known voltage at startup, and comparisons with other similar lights.

Jim's M6-R pack maintains that startup voltage for the entire run, thus it's huge advantage.

Bill