Choice of hosts, what would you do?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I got a really cool rare colored luxeon here, and I want it to go in a pewter mag.

I have a 2D pewter mag, that runs on swappable o-sinks (DDx3NiMH) with bi-pin connectors. I could put it in there, for no extra cost... or.. I could put it in a pewter 2C, and that would be pretty cool to have it's own mag, but then there's the cost of (mag, $20, BB1000 $16.50, 2 more NiMH $16.00).

My mag collection goes as follows:
Black 2D Tri-Lux.
Pewter 2D O-sink swappable.
Black 2C R/O luxeon I.

So, I could keep the collection small, or I could have a black/pewter pair of 2D and 2C, with the C's being colored lux's, and the D's being white. This would give the other special colored luxeon it's own dedicated light. Since it's a special rare color, the occasion could justify the extra cost...

The 2D pewter will most likey get a U bin (right now I have a RB module in it). So the D's would be flood and throw, which tons of lumens... And I wouldn't have to stop to swap out the white luxeon in the 2d pewter to go to color and vise versa... Basically it wouldn't be a swappable mag anymore I'd just keep it white probably.. I'd be ready to go whatever light I grabbed...

What's a person to do? I've waited so long to get this color, and I don't want to make a rush decision on the host...

BTW, I want it to throw, so mag reflector is my choice. If I had the money I might do an aleph3, but I don't so that's moot point. :)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
So ... what's that rare Luxeon? Made me curious ... :p
One cannot really answer your difficult question without knowing the exact nature of the device in question ... :D

bernie

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bah! If I tell you, you must tell me what you'd do and give explanation! :nana:It's a true colored cyan. Argon laser color luxeonIII. (488nm) I'm so excited to get it in a light so I can see what the beam looks like collimated. I've blinded myself multiple times and burned an embossed shape of the luxeon slug into my finger playing with it. (finger's don't make good heatsinks!):ohgeez:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry about the cost, my friend. Choose the best host available. Does it have to be a mag? How about an Inova x1?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want it to throw very far, and be powered at a full 1,000mah. With an X1 that would be kind of hard to do!

I think you're right. While the cost differnce is big, I've waited to find this luxeon for so long, I better do it right. If I put it in a dedicated light and a neat form factor, I will enjoy it more. If I were to put it in the 2D, I would be swapping out the cyan module with a white luxeon back and forth; not so fun. This way I can grab it at anytime and it's ready to play with, in a smaller 2C format.

I PM'ed dat2zip asking if 2C NiMH can power a BB1000. Once he says yes, I will start ordering the parts...

Thanks for the input!

Last edited: