Princeton Tec EOS widebeam!

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the EOS as an upgrade from the Aurora. To also use it on my bike I got the bike mount version which has a bracket you can fit any strap on to use as a headlamp.

Just out of curiosity and wanting a wider beam I put a round cut piece of WriteRight, but that didn't do much. Then I remembered I had a McFlood laying around from past experiments and decided to see if I could get in there and change out the optics.

Well... You have to break two little plastic moulded pieces that hold the battery compartment/electronics to the case to get in there, but it wasn't too hard. It turns out there is a typical luxeon optic holder in there so many things are designed to fit including the McFlood.

Here are the pics. EOS is 31 inches from the wall on a small table. The firetruck below is for size reference.

http://www.onetontomato.net/cpf/beamshots/f/

As you can see the McFlood widens the beam considerably but takes away some brightness and a good bit of throw. For me that doesn't matter as I want it for cloesup work mostly anyway.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
The McFlood is a custom made reflector that came standard with the Mclux line of lights. They were sold separately at one point, I don't know about now.

Krit

Enlightened
Very good mod for getting flood spill light. Unfortunately, luxeon star of my EOS is PY0K which is not good quality. I get RX0H and change for good quality of light. But it still get bright hot spot and less side spill.

My choice to do next are change lens to reflect like mcflood as you mod or change to lowdome luxeon with NX05 for smooth light. I don't care for how far does it throw because I can use handy flashlight for long throw propose.

Illuminated

Enlightened
Nice Job!

I musta lucked-out as I got an RYAH Star in mine. I "sputtered" the backside of my optic to smooth things out, but I wondered whether any reflectors would fit the optic holder.

Thanks for sharing...

John

Grubbster

Enlightened
There are several good threads about modifying the Eos with a reflector. The IMS 17 is an easy drop in and is readily available. Here is a good thread.

Donald

Newly Enlightened
I'm not as inspired as you all, I just cut a circle of Press'n Seal and put over the light. That was enough extra diffusion for me. It fell off after a few hours of reading. I then taped it on with some Scotch tape. That worked fine, yet kept the adhesive from the tape off the lens. I was using it on low.

Krit

Enlightened
In high mode, the star seem to very hot for long operated. How do you think about thermal management of EOS in high mode.