• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Mini-HID

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may do a small run of the Mini-HID. Prices would be $240

It would include

Mag2d Cut down and bored to accept the WA 10 Watt Solarc system. Light is just under 7" overall length. Your color choice of available colors.

Stock reflector cutdown and modified

Modified Tailcap with switch installed

Modamag's 4aa-1d modified for 2x2 cr123's

I would need a 50% deposit before lights are made. Turn around time would typically be under a week.

Current Status

Currently 7 lights have deposits, that leaves 1 remaining on the first set of ballasts.

So far on the list is

Morpheus.............Black Mini-HID + LOP + UCL (Paid in Full)
Catch228.............Black Mini-HID + LOP + UCL (Paid in full)
DFiorentino...........Black Mini-HID + UCL (Paid in Full)
Rdavid.................Black Mini-HID (Deposit Received)
Free....................Pewter Mini-HID + LOP + UCL (Paid in Full)
Marcdilnutt...........Pewter Mini-HID + SMO + UCL (Paid in Full)
devm635csi..........Pewter Mini-HID + LOP + UCL(Payed in Full)
Nirad...................Pewter Mini-HID + LOP (Paid In Full)

Here is one of the units already completed. It's the middle one the outside lights are stock.

Mini_HID-vi.jpg

Last edited:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
I MAY be interested in one. It all depend on timing and how depleted my wallet is from holiday shopping.

Eh, who am I kidding, that doesn't really matter! I'll end up saying yes even if I have to go without gas and electric for the rest of the year. :crackup:

Just curious though, I wound how this would perform on protected RCR123's? In either the 3.0v or 3.6v variety.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I remember the Rechargeable 123's are only 650Mah so the runtime would be only around a half hour. Also the RCR123's would need to be rated at 2c minimum.

Mac

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice,

I am a little curious about why you chose the stock reflector,will it not melt?
Are there any of the Aluminum reflectors that will fit this light?
I am also very interested in knowing which Bulb socket you are using.
There is a new one out that Waterfish uses in his MagHID which holds the
bulb in place better.I think it has a rubber feel to it.
And finally...
What is the max Voltage for this light?

Thanks,
Benny

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I recall reading the original Mini-HID threads I remember they offered the Mini-HID with the stock reflector and the aluminum was an option. My price point of this light at $240 was to offer it cheaper than all the other sales. If you want to upgrade to an aluminum reflector you just unscrew the bezel and replace it. It's very easy. Also this limits the parts I need to purchase up front. 10 reflectors and 10 pieces of UCL lenses is an extra $300 up front. These 2 items are easily purchased if you prefer them. I can supply them if needed. As for the bulb socket it would be the newer style.

As for beamshots

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/770399&postcount=439

Thats all I could fine but there where many impressive beamshots. As for reference the Mini-HID produced 52,600cd and the surefire 10x produced 24,000cd. The MiniHID has an intense corona with decent side spill. The lamp is a rated at 500 lumens. The only thing we had to compare it to last night in the same league was a Tigerlight.....the Mini stomped it into the ground. It was lighter and had more runtime. Though the tigerlight is built like a tank!

Runtime Plot Red is Direct Drive Blue was a custom regulated holder.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/829967&postcount=711

Mac

Last edited:

jashhash

Enlightened
Couple-a-questions:

Will a 10 watt HID lamp generate enough heat to melt the stock reflector?

Does an HID lamp have a smaller light emitting source than a WA bulb? (A smaller emiter source means the beam can be focused and throw farther).

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of time frame are we looking at? From pre-payment to completion. Just a ballpark estimate.

:thanks:
-DF

Oh, and personally I'm fine with the lower price as I have spare UCL's, Borofloats, and aluminum reflectors. :grin2:

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will call Welch Allyen tomorrow morning. Last time I spoke with them all the parts where in stock. I will update the thread tomorrow morning. If all the parts are in stock I should be able to ship them possibly next week. It depends on when Modamag can supply me with a few CR123 holders....He's a busy guy and expecting a baby any day now!! :)

Mac

Free

Enlightened
I am interested. This will run on both rechargeable 123's and non rechargeable? What forms of payment will you accept? How soon will you want the deposit?

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Free said:
I am interested. This will run on both rechargeable 123's and non rechargeable? What forms of payment will you accept? How soon will you want the deposit?

I'm not sure on the RCR123's but you should be fine with the 3.0v RCR123's as with the voltage drop they should be under the 11.5v max you want to supply the ballast. As for payment options I'm flexable pretty much anything goes. As for the deposit I would like to let this thread run a few more days to see how many people are interested. If you want the light ASAP like yesterday then PM me and I'll se what I can do :)

Mac

RDavid

Newly Enlightened
I am very interested. Count me in for one.

I do have a few questions though;
Can you focus this light?
What type of switch does this light use

Thanks.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
RDavid said:
I am very interested. Count me in for one.

I do have a few questions though;
Can you focus this light?
What type of switch does this light use

Thanks.

Yes Fully focusable
This light uses a custom tailswitch rated at 3amps

Mac

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
:goodjob: Nice light! My compliments!

As to using RCR 123s, if the batt holder is series then you can use 3x R123s and a dummy cell to run the ballast nicely. I have a Waterfish/UFOKillerz MagHID that uses the Welch Allyn -008 (lower voltage spec) ballast and have driven it without any problem with 3x R123s. Runtime will be shorter, approx 25-30 minutes, than 4x CR123 but for those a bit on the daring side there is an overdrive to the ballast which makes it noticeably brighter (11-11.5 Watt).

I've run more than 10 cycles of this batery combo and not a problem. Welch Allyn says, just like incans, overdrive will cost you ultimate longevity traded for increased brightness. If you like the convenience of rechargeables or are looking to push the envelope of what a 10W HID can do then the RCRs are the way to go.

3.0V RCR123s I have not tried yet but I believe they have even less capacity in mAh (even less runtime) than 3.7V even though you can use 4 instead of 3. Better off running primaries then.

The 10W HID setup is very sweet, fitting it into a 1D formfactor makes it even sweeter. Again, great work!

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like one, but I need to check the bank. :p I just blew some money on another purchase... damn. If I had known this one was coming, I'd have put it off to get this...