McLux vs. HDS

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
I am considering either the McLuc III PD or the HDS U65XR.

I like the simplicity and beefier construction of the McLux. I also like the technology of the HDS.

Either light would be fine since I am just looking for an addition to my collection, but the bottom-line use would be for camping and cabin use.

I love the L2 for around the campsite but was looking for more throw in a single cell configuration.

Opinions please...

Does anyone have any beamshots for comparison?

Thanks in advance.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The main difference is the switching of the lights ... while the HDS offers an abundance of features and can be programmed it must be used with a single-button-multi-click interface and a manual whereas the PD offers just two levels of light but does so in a KISS way ... meaning either twist for constant or push for momentary. IMHO this huge difference is the most deciding factor on which to buy.

Apart from that ... the PD is heavier and beefier, especially at the front end where it offers more protection and has a nice ti clip and can be had with a tritium insert or a crenellated ti bezel ... and the HDS is less heavy and can be retrofitted with PD-bezels (!) for additional protection.

Beam quality on the PD is superb and I guess the HDS can compare, but I don't remember. The fact that the PD is driven at 550mA on high mode makes me think that the HDS should be a bit brighter on full blast, but I don't know exactly ... :shrug:

FYI ... runtime on the PD is about 01:45 on high and ~40+hours on low on 1xCR123. Both lights can take either CR123 or Li-Ion and both have a cut-off to be able to use unprotected cells without overdischarging them.

No HDS beamshots, sorry.

bernie

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
This wont be much help, but here is some beam shots @ 60 lumens with my HDS U60 XRGT that was in the HDS threads.

We can all use beam shots huh???

img06115as.jpg

img06133rc.jpg

Ive been thinking about a PD also, just cant justify it right now, been eyeing a aleph UV light instead. :naughty:

-PSM

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
A big advantage of the HDS vs the Surefire U2 is a much lower minimum output -- 0.08 lumens for a U60.

Don't know what the McLux minimum output is, but if preserving night vision is important, investigate that. You really need 0.2 lumens or below (1/10th the U2 min output) to preserve night vision.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The McLuxIII-PD drives the Luxeon at 30mA on low which is relatively bright ... and certainly brighter than 0.2lm although I don't know the exact lumen rating.
To my Eyeball MkI is is (very roughly of course) in the range of the SF U2 low level.
bernie

kukula

Enlightened
I would go for the PD. To me it is the most beautiful, well made light around atm. And I like that it is so simple to operate. I tried out a friends HDS a while back and find that it is a bit "too complicated" for my taste.

greenLED

Flashaholic
kukula said:
I tried out a friends HDS a while back and find that it is a bit "too complicated" for my taste.

Funny, I did the same, and didn't think the clicking was complicated at all.

Fruitjacknix

Newly Enlightened
HDS has a learning curve, but once understood, easily operated and easily remembered. I am quite partial to mine and have sold off about 3 other lights that it quickly eliminated!! I say go for the HDS, but I have never owned Mclux. Damn, now I will have to buy a Mclux. I should quit reading these threads.
Michael

Kiessling

Flashaholic
78CJ5 ... see what I mean? We are talking mostly switches here ... and we aren't saying that ether one is "better" in this regard ... some prefer the uC multi-klick, some the mechanical KISS switch. Make up your mind about this question and you know which light to buy ... first .... because eventually you'll own both anyway :devil: :D :D
bernie

P.S.: for the record ... I am all McLux :p

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a PD and like it allot.

Now I have been following the HDS posts for the
last while and they have had problems with the switch.

Probably fixed by now , but maybe someone else can comment specifically.

paulr

Flashaholic
I had an Arc4+, forerunner of the HDS. I also have a few Photon III's and Freedoms, same sort of idea. If you use a light often, a complex interface isn't a big deal. If you use it once in a while, that 35 second learning curve has to be repeated every time you've left the light unused for a few months. It gets to be a pain. I prefer KISS when it comes to flashlights.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the HDS and plan on acquiring a PD when I have the available funds. The only thing I found confusing about the HDS was the first time I tried to go into the setup menu. Once the light is setup, any one of the 4 preset levels are just 3 clicks away at most. I like the HDS because I can set the 4 brightness levels to any level I want or prefer which I found out is mostly trial and error until I can determine how much light I need for a particular situation.

The PD, as simple as it is to use, is not as simple to customize. What you see is what you get so if either high or low level is too dim or too bright for you, you're s__t out of luck unless you know how to take it apart to change the resistors yourself.

I prefer the 0.1 lumen setting of the HDS for my lowest setting. Since I have no way of knowing how bright the 30ma setting is on the PD, I can't tell if it's gonna be too dim or too bright for me unless I actually try it out.

In terms of looks. The PD wins hands-down. It's simply a work of art in addition to being a tool. The HDS just looks like a tube that gives off light. Obviously, aesthetics and design was not a priority for this light. It's simply a tool which I kinda like because I don't have to worry about scratches or nicks in its finish if I inadvertently drop it or something. I also hate the clip on the HDS. It looks like it was an after thought with no consideration taken to implement it during the design stage of the light and then they suddenly remembered the light had no carry option. The PD's clip, on the other hand, is simply beautiful. I think it will fit any light without being an eyesore unlike the HDS's clip.

Both have their pros and cons so it's up to the user's requirements and preferences.

My dream light would be a PD having the same electronics and UI technology of the HDS.

TorchMan

Enlightened
I own both of these, and they are fine lights indeed. As others here have stated, the main difference is simplicity.

The PD III gives two light levels. The low is a bit bright for some, I find it great. The high is nice and bright. You can momentarily activate both levels pushing the piston with a thumb. It's easy to twist the head for one handed activation of the constant on of each level. Tritium in the piston is a nice touch. KISS is right, and the light is surprisingly versatile. I'm using primaries in mine, but it takes rechargeables as well.

The HDS light offer more options in brightness, and if you go with an Ultimate version, you have lots of options. SOS strobe, a strobe to locate the light, a once per second strobe, choose from 19-20 brightness levels, momentary on, and more. The HDS will go to high instantly from any level by pushing the button in, release and it returns to the previous setting. This is momentary max brightness. It also recognizes different battery types, and has thermal protection to prevent it from getting too hot.

The beams of both these lights are different in mine. The HDS is a wider hotspot, and the sidespill seems a bit brighter, and is alittle wider than the PD's. The PD III has a tighter hotspot, and the sidespill is quite wide, but somewhat dimmer than my HDS and not quite as wide. I prefer the PD beam, but this is subjective. The PD has a donut at less the six inches, and beyond that is flawless, no artifacts. The HDS had no artifacts at any distance, that I've ever noticed.

Both are about the same size and weight. The clip on the PD is much better, and I have the older version of it. I don't clip the HDS when carried, the PD clip is the only that's ever impressed me enough to actually use.

Just my two new (not copper) pennies worth. You probably won't go far wrong with either light.

Last edited:

colterbay2005

Newly Enlightened
I own an HDS60-GT and two McLUxIII-PDs. Both are great lights but I prefer the McLuxIII-PD...it has a much better clip for starters (the HDS clip is useless IMHO). If you are going to EDC a light it needs to have a very good clip or something and you just can't beat the PD titianium clip.

I also just don't trust the HDS like I do the McLuXIII-PD. I went on a 3 day hiking trip before Thanksgiving and I left my HDS at home in favor of my McLuxIII-PD. The HDS has very sophisticated electronics which is cool but sometimes less is more, less also means less things can go wrong IMO. The McLUxIII-PD has a very simple-fool proof dual output electronics board that offers greater reliablilty and simplicity.

The complicated electronics of the HDS60 make me nervous. For example when I pull the light out of its holster after walking around on carpet for a while it flashes....somehow the static buildup from walking can set off the complicated/sensitive electronics...I just can't trust a light that does that; but make no mistake the HDS lights are very cool, my preference, for my own weird reasons is the McLuxIIIPD.
Daniel.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Can't comment on the HDS because don't have it. As already touched upon in this thread, the McLux.III.PD is quite an illuminating tool! It's among three that I EDC. It has a beautifully flawless beam. For its size, this has some "authoritative" weight to it which I like. It IS solidly built! The one I have is flash chrome. Therefore a work of art!

Hope you find that fleeting dream of a little torcher and Enjoy!

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for the help.

Tonight I am leaning towards the McLux. Either one will compliment the SF L2, but I like the less is more idea and the more rugged build.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
In terms of ruggedness, I don't think the HDS is any less well built in that aspect. The HDS electronics is potted so it should be better than the Mclux in that department with all others being equal IMO.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted both, but ended up with a HDS basic 60. Two main reasons; 1. the low on the PD is too bright for me. 2. The HDS was cheaper....

I think the PD looks better and if it was issued with 3 levels I would have bought it. Even it is more expensive...

The clip on the HDS is only good for increasing friction so it stays better in a holster and to prevent it from rolling. I'm considering buying a PD clip as I belive it will fit my HDS, only problem is shipping cost and that I normally don't use the clips on my lights...

On the reliability issue; most people drive cars that depend more or less totally on electronics.... It's easy to bring a spare light with you, hard to bring a spare car ;)

Sverre