3xAA Shorty 1w LED Flashlight Idea

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've seen 3xAA lights in the end-to-end tube configuration; we've seen 3xAAA lights in the side-to-side shorty configuration; but I have yet to see a 3xAA light using side-to-side.

What about doing away with the battery carrier design commonly used in a 3xAAA and manufacture a shorty tube just wide enough to house 3 AA cells that rest against each other? The reflector and bezel could also be sized to match the battery tube. Good current regulation and runtime should be possible.

What am I missing here; why haven't we seen this yet?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
NotEnoughLight said:
Didn't Elektrolumens blaster Jr achieve that?
I missed this one and yes it's in the ballpark. If they did away with the battery carrier and slimmed down that fat bezel we may really have something. I wonder about it's regulation curve too.

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
If i am not wrong it's Direct Drive. Using NiMH should get you decent regulation. Personally, i have a Gerber LX3.0 and i think it's not bad for the size. Not forgetting to mention that i got it for a good price too. Best of all, it passes the criteria of being not too fat.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just took some measurements. With three AA cells arranged triangularly together you get 1 1/8 inch at the widest point. With four AA cells arranged squarely together you get 1 1/4 inch at the widest point. I'm now seeing that a fourth cell would hardly add to the width of a battery tube.

Hmmm.... anyone with mod abilities care to make an aftermarket body that screws onto the head of a SL4AALux? It would shave the overall length of 7 inches down to 5 inches, and maybe, just maybe, we could add some sort of hi/lo switch too.:devil:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 2x2 and 2x3 arrangement used by Ike Light in their AA and C dive lights. I also like the 1x2 side-by-side UK 2AA and UK's 2x2 and 2x3 C cell SL lights. Slim, short, and bright.

Last edited: