18650 Extender for JetBeam RRT-01/TC-R1?

Shikar

Newly Enlightened
I will take a 18650 extension in titanium for my TC-R1.

Regards.

Making an extender should not be expensive. I estimate it to be around $50 for an extension in titanium. Until I price it up by buying the materials and asking the machinist do the job I cannot give a accurate price. I will get a prototype done in the next 2-3 weeks and report back to see if it is a viable option. I am hoping to make a few anyway regardless of cost.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
This tube would likely work with an EYE10, right? Basically the same light I believe. If that's the case then I would be interested in an 18650 tube.

BTW guys, you might want to re-think the 18500 tube. I've done testing at a 3 amp load between AW 18350s (better than 750mah at this load with VERY LOW voltage sag!) and AW LiCo 18500s (can't remember the numbers exactly but I can dig them up) and there's not as much difference in energy outputted as you probably think. Not worth the length increase over the excellent AW IMR 18350, IMO. If you're going to go longer you might as well go 18650 so that you can get a real increase in capacity.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Ah. Tis too bad. The sunwayman circuit, like in the v10r ti, works well with AA, with a little less top end. I was hoping the jetbeam circuit would be similar.

gunga

Flashaholic
Alkaline is fine, though I will be using eneloop if possible. 14500 is another option, but I would like eneloop as an good alternative. Alkaline should be fine for level testing.

THANKS!

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will check on machining shop on Sunday where I might be able to get a slot to get some work done.

borealis

Newly Enlightened
does jetbeam rrt-01 lego with sunwayman of that size? I'd be in for an 18650 extender for swm if it looked good :) (I read a small compatible batch was made before, but they're nowhere to be found).

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok as planned went to the machine shop and spent the morning making 4 prototypes of the extenders in Titanium for the TCR1.
X 18500 size and x2 18650 size. I love the longer torch. It feels nice in the hand.

Wasted a lot of time boring out the solid bar by first drilling it out to 10mm, then 16mm and then using the CNC boring tool to 18.5mm diameter for the 18xxx batteries.

If I am going to Do it again on a run I am going to have to buy that £1600 tool - you know the one that comes from a very expensive tool shop and can only be used once. I am just joking - it actually costs £80 it is a indexed drilling tool that will enable the bar to be drilled on the CNC rather than the lathe in one go. This will speed things up from 25 minutes per extender to maybe 5 minutes on the CNC. Drilling it out on the lathe is inefficient, frustrating and time consuming.. I am not going to whine that time equals money and therefore each extension is going to have cost $300 etc... You know I hate that kind of talk. So I have to find ways of making it efficient as I don't think the extension is worth more than $50. What do you think? What is a good pricing point. Remember I am not trying to make a profit but I do need to recoup the costs involved if I want to make this possible.

Having made the prototype I realise that the diameter of the front section of the torch head is slightly bigger than the rear section tube. Do you want the lip on the front or the back as there is going to be a step. . I think it is better at the back as it will blend in with the tube ring.

I have polished the body and it looks a bit plain - so any ideas? Anything too complicated will increase time to make.

DSC01835.jpg

Close up of threads of extension tube. Interfaces nicely .. Not gritty.

DSC01836.jpg

I want some feedback before I take this further.

Shikar

Newly Enlightened
I like it. I think it is a little plain and some knurling or even just some straight lines would be nice to breakup the plain face of the extender, like little columns. Anything to give a little surer grip of the light along the extender would be nice. You can price those a little higher, to be fair to you!
The lip can be in the back, but then the whole body of the extender will be thicker, if the lip is to the front the extender can be kept thinner :)
$50 is a good price point, and I would like you to make a little profit. Shipping to the US will be added cost too for a lot of us.
I will take one 18650 extender for sure, kindly make sure it fits the longer Panasonic 3100 with protection, battery.
Appreciate what you are making for us.

Regards.

Last edited:

jedirock

Newly Enlightened
I have to say, that looks very cool, and I'm glad that there's quite a bit of interest in having these made. Didn't quite realize how long it would make it at first, but that should be fine given the controls are all at the front of the light, and nothing at the back.

I'd prefer to have the lip at the back, which makes the overall thickness a bit bigger, but preserves the look as before, where the bezel on the back half rises smoothly to the final diametre of the front half. Does that make any sense?

I would agree that the plain polished look is a little dull. Some light knurling or possibly even some small rings around the extender would probably look nice.

$50 is fine by me. As you've said, you need to recoup your material costs, but that doesn't mean you have to donate your time for free, as it's appreciated by many members on the forums here. You can definitely take a bit of a profit on these for all your help with this.

Larbo

Enlightened
I like it. I think it is a little plain and some knurling or even just some straight lines would be nice to breakup the plain face of the extender

+1

Looking forward to one of these, thanks for the effort:thumbsup:. These will give the light alot more run time.:)

gunga

Flashaholic
This looks wonderful mohan! The lip location is whatever looks best. I can't imagine clearly now. That extension is huge. Quite interesting looking. I agree, some kind of knurling would be nice. Rings or lines could work since knurling is difficult.

$50 is a great price point if workable for you.

beach honda

Enlightened
I am definitely in for an 18650 extender. Just tell me where to send funds!

The plain look is fine, but if you come up with some architecture to add to the extenders...even better!

Many thanks for doing this, please keep us in the loop.