• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 2-1/2D M*g powered by 6x168S Pila

X

xrayvision

Pewter No. 1 $50
2 x Battery Holder $64
5 x Potted WA1111 $50
1 Axial Bulb $12

Boro lens $5

Shipping $8

Total: $189

PayPal sent.

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Got 3 stacks of 3x 17500 to fit into the elongated 17670 holder!! Total of 9x 17500 ( thats a lot of batts to charge!!) I got 11.1v @ 3300mah!!! Am running the 1166 with this combo and its brighter than the 1166 with the 3x 17670 in the FM1D ??!! Cud it be because the uprated mah is holding the v to just off the charger and not dropping it to 3.7v nominal? Measured the amps to the 1166 as 1.99a, nice!!

Dare I try the 1185 9.6v bulb with this combo?? I have fried a 1185 from 3x 18650 fresh off the charger ........... Sigbjoern wat u tink???

OT: Wat wud be the best bulb for the 3 stacks of 2x123 for 6v @ 3,900mah? Either for runtime or for briteness??

Wat is the best place to get the ICE charger to charge the 9x17500!!!

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 1166 is particularly sensitive to voltage swings.. you are actually riding on the over-nominal voltage that gives you that surge in brigthness.. and it's largly in part to the fact you are pushing only 2/3A through the cells vs 2A.. runtime calculates to 96 minutes!

I bought the universal charger at batteryspace for $25.. it's only a 500mA charger so it will take a really long time to charge but does and excellent job of charging 1 through 4 'cell' battery packs (this one would be considered '3').

With rested cells you should be find to run the 1185.. considering that i run mine direct off the charger with 9 CBP 1650s which i've measured 1.2V/cell at 7A.. they probably put out like 12V under load with a fresh battery pack... i would rest the cells before trying that but you should get like 54 minutes runtime with the 1185 which is beyond awesome! (compared to 30 minutes in a 3D with CBP 1650s x 9).

So.. i guess i know my next flasshlight! dawgonne it. That is a really prefect combo. I will be putting an FET in for the switch.. (drops the resistance to like 0.03ohm vs 0.15ohm in a magswitch)... and put in a soft-start or vreg as well.

FM.. you still have plenty of these adapters left? I could use two.. one will work in my other light where i have the hand-made model, and i'll be copying the model Kevin and i've been talking about and apparently he got to work.. i plan to sell my current mag85 to my brother and get this one instead for my mag85 host.

-awr

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Glad to be of help awr :D !!

Now what wud be perfect is if we ask FM to make the 3" turbo head of his for this!!!

Have u seen the mag bod that FM modded to fit in 18650 side by side??

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The next time my wife gives me a hard time about my seemingly endless quest for a better $50 to $100 2x150, 3x150, or 2x168 flashlight, I'll send her to threads like this. You guys are like heroin addicts!!! If FiveMega had never been born, you'd need his "methadone" equivalent. :)

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin Tan said:
Got 3 stacks of 3x 17500 to fit into the elongated 17670 holder!! Total of 9x 17500 ( thats a lot of batts to charge!!) I got 11.1v @ 3300mah!!! Am running the 1166 with this combo and its brighter than the 1166 with the 3x 17670 in the FM1D ??!! Cud it be because the uprated mah is holding the v to just off the charger and not dropping it to 3.7v nominal? Measured the amps to the 1166 as 1.99a, nice!!

From my own measurements of the batteries, 9x17500 will have a MPV=10.8V while 3x17670 will have a MPV=10.5V. As you can see, both setups underdrives the bulb :( You should always look at the MPV instead of the start voltage when evaluating a setup.

Kevin Tan said:
Dare I try the 1185 9.6v bulb with this combo?? I have fried a 1185 from 3x 18650 fresh off the charger ........... Sigbjoern wat u tink???

I would have tried it, and please let us know how it works out. I have it as a rule to never run anything fresh off the charger, so I have not instantflashed any WA bulbs yet. Some bulbs are weaker than others as well so that may be the reason for the instantflash. IMO this setup is to be prefered over the NiMH counterpart, no self discharge problems to speak of, longer runtime and a smaller light. The only problem is the much longer time for charging the batteries, and for most people the cost of course.

Btw, using the 2-1/2 Mag the way Fivemega has designed it with the WA1111 bulb kicks some serious *** too. I tried it with a 3" head the other night, and my 9xAA Mag85 setup went into retirement after that. I think I will go Li-Ion only for my lights from now on.

Kevin Tan said:
OT: Wat wud be the best bulb for the 3 stacks of 2x123 for 6v @ 3,900mah? Either for runtime or for briteness??

The voltage under load will be pretty low so a 4.8V bulb should be the way to go, and then I guess WA1183 would be the obvious choice. I estimate that you get 5V @ 3000mAh from the batteries when using this bulb, which translates into ca. 500/325 bulb/torch lumens for 45 minutes. Using a 2A bulb instead should give you 5.4V @ 3900mAh from the batteries.

Sigbjoern

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Thanks Sigbjoern, I tried the axial bulbs but they a bit yellower to my eyes, Havent tried the 1111, hmmm.... I tink i will take ur advise n try the 85 later.

I hav benn tinking tat maybe a custom made batt pack with protection pcb from Batteryspace with the charger is the way to go, no need to charge 9x 17500 in my 2 DSD double charger n topping off with my custom nokia lion batt prot pcb soldered to a nokia fone stand charger with a custom wood block multi batt size charger....:)

Wat do u tink of running the stock MC bulb with the 6v/3,9000mah? Lotsa runtime n still be brighter than a 6 cell MagD, rite?

Reasons why I am going the route of lions n li primaries is bcus I got a EL 5D with a energizer stuck, n various magC, magD n mini mag n minimag-aaa with the same deadly disease of batts-expanded-n-stuck-ities.!! Nimh?? Never there when u need them.. :( , unless its sorta like a patrol lite that u charge every day or very frequently.

Like i said we need to get FM to make his special 3" turbo head agin!!!

Paul in Maryland, we r talking serious technical stuffs here, so dont be bringing in the wiminfolks OK?? :D

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok.. can't take the peer pressure any more..

Sign me up for Silver #3
TWO of the adapters.. will they fit in the 2D light sold by Litho123? If not i probably only need one.. extended ala Keven Tan (did you make the extention yourself or did FM do that?. I need two extentions.. i want to make a 3x3 adapter identical to K.T. (9 17500s).. and also want to make a 3x2 adapter for putting in the 2D Litho123 light (i can sand down the diameter if it's too tight.. i've heard it's a very snug fit).

I'd like 2 potted 1111s and 1 of the axial filament.

in addition (2) LOPs please. I 'need' more but need more $ first.

summary:

(1) Silver #3 $50
(2) adapters: $64
(2) 1111s $20
(1) axial bulb ($12)
(2) LOP ($40)
Shipping $8

whoa! $194 and i need 9battereis to boot... please email me or post about the 'fit' of the adapter into the 2D light and the extention to fit 9x17500 or 6x17500.

ps.. Kevin.. you can charge the whole shabang with the univ. charger from batteryspace.. it works great, just takes overnight with so many cells.

Also... from my understanding.. you coudl get decent protection using one protected cell per stack but i may be wrong.. anybody know the answer to this? stacking a bunch of protected cells will lose you a lot of voltage.

-awr

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin Tan said:
Thanks Sigbjoern, I tried the axial bulbs but they a bit yellower to my eyes, Havent tried the 1111, hmmm.... I tink i will take ur advise n try the 85 later.

I didn't like the axial much in this setup when compared to the WA1111, but I haven't tried it with the 3" head yet. I think I will try the axial with 7AA.

Kevin Tan said:
Wat do u tink of running the stock MC bulb with the 6v/3,9000mah? Lotsa runtime n still be brighter than a 6 cell MagD, rite?

I don't have the spec for the MC bulb, but if it's a 6V bulb, then it will be heavily underdriven and yellow, and maybe not noticable brighter than a Mag 6D.

Sigbjoern

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Ok.. can't take the peer pressure any more..
Welcome to the club!! :rock:

Sign me up for Silver #3
Just 1?? Hehe:poke:

TWO of the adapters.. will they fit in the 2D light sold by Litho123? If not i probably only need one..
I dont have a magD body by litho but the dia of the adapters r 33.8mm, so u need a hole dia of 34 for a tight fit. BUT the 17500 triples will not fit the 34mm bore, u need FMs special grooved bods to use them. Look at the pics of the barrel tailcap seat, u will notice that the grooves r cut until they take off the thread of the barrel tailcap seat. Best bet wud be to wait for FM to make the 2x2 18650 grooved body n batts holder, or u cud special request for a 2x18500 body..... ( we in trouble man!!!!! )

extended ala Keven Tan (did you make the extention yourself or did FM do that?. I need two extentions.. i want to make a 3x3 adapter identical to K.T. (9 17500s).. and also want to make a 3x2 adapter for putting in the 2D Litho123 light (i can sand down the diameter if it's too tight.. i've heard it's a very snug fit).
I requested 2 extra stud of 180mm but had to cut them to 157mm to fit the 3 stacks of 17500. Be careful not to ruin the threads of the stud. I used a belt sander to smoothen the thread bevel after cutting the extra off with a bolt cutter.

whoa! $194 and i need 9battereis to boot...
thats where ur wallet becomes the transfer area for ur paycheck to FM!!!

ps.. Kevin.. you can charge the whole shabang with the univ. charger from batteryspace.. it works great, just takes overnight with so many cells.
I wud feel safer if the lion cells are charged individually or at the max in pairs. The max discharge in case of backcharging wud be explosive!! They are not called lions for nothing....

Also... from my understanding.. you coudl get decent protection using one protected cell per stack but i may be wrong.. anybody know the answer to this? stacking a bunch of protected cells will lose you a lot of voltage.
Been ther, done that, now i have a ded as doornail 17500 overdischarged to 0v paired with a 150s in a SL TL3, even thought the 150s low v kicked in, but accidently left on for 3 days by my small daughter playing with it. Well!, i learnt something new!!

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh i'm kinda in the club, just a smaller club... I have the FM 2D light but 'want more'..

check out this thread which has a huge chart of virtutuall all battery possibilities with all the FiveMega hosts.

Litho123 commissioned FM to make a bunch of 2D lights tri-bored similar to these lights i just dont' know how simlar.. the 168x3 1 1/2D adapters don't really fit. I have already put 6x17500 and 9xR123 in the 2D version.. i want to bump that up to 9x17500 for a 10.8V mag85 and a 12xR123 for a 14.4V 1154!

When i cut studs i use a dremel it cuts perfect every time.. then using the dremel also to clean up the cut.

My cutoff ckts work at 9V (3V/cell).. stack charging hasn't been a problem.. if you were really nervous about it it would be smart to make a special charger for the stack based on the bat. prot. ckt from battery space.. i have a handful of those i think i just might do that. For my FM 1 1/2D 3x168 design i'm building protected battery packs.

the cut-off concept of series batteries with one in series with several is surely only meant to be something for attended operation... you want total protection get all protected cells.. I have some plans that won't run quite right with protected cells..

(i..e running the 1154 from 14.4V)..

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lurveleven said:
I didn't like the axial much in this setup when compared to the WA1111, but I haven't tried it with the 3" head yet. I think I will try the axial with 7AA.

If you're using a 8aa-2d adapter (high resistance), you can actually use the axial with 8AA. If your using a soldered pack, then 7.

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Thanks AWN, I have been eyeing the Battspace protection pcb but the lv cutoff per cell @ 2v is too low for my taste. Didja test them to cut out @ 9v? If so then I'm gonna get them for building 2 pack of 3 stacks of 3x 17500 for the this FM2.5D and another 3 pack of 3x 17670 for my 2 FM1.5D !! If u can confirm that the Battspace prot pcb will cut off at lv of 9V, I will also be getting the Battspace chger for them.

Didja see that the 1154 is kinda low efficacy of 20 vs the 1166 @ 30 or the 1185 @ 27 ? The color temp of 3180degC is also kinda yellow. But driven at 14.4v from 4x 3.6v / cell wud be very nice with life of 50 hrs..... Interesting...... !!!!

Hoops!!! Just noticed that the 1154 is lensed and not the regular type of bulb!!! Whatda???!?!

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the cutoff ckt i use for the BAM is set for the battery pack i plan to use with it 3V/cell is what i use.. now i might 'fudge' it a little for some hysteresis so it doesn't blink on/off.. maybe 2.85V for example.. the resting voltage will typically be about 3.5-3.8V/cell (depending on the brightness level i had the light when it cuts out).

the hotwire driver i'm using is even 'softer' on the batteries.. it cuts out when the batteries can no longer hold more than 92% of the regulated voltage.. i will probably set the bulb voltage to about 0.1V lower than the median battery voltage (i.e. 10.7V on 3xLion).. which means.. 3.40v cutout at the bulb... meaning something close to 3.45-3.5V cutout at the battery (when they are about 95% exhausted anyhow).. the bonus other than saving the batteries.. virtually no dimming.

I have some of the BS protection packs and plan to make some protected batteries out of them.. i will run them down to see what they will shut off at as long as it's higher than about 2.5V.... they most certainly cut out lower than the 3V i use.. i think that it actually would be pretty simple to design a ckt that shuts off the battery using just an FET and a potentiometer.. an N-ch FET 'below' the load and a pot from hot to ground with the wiper on the gate of the FET... dial in the right bias so that when the Vbat drops through that 'cliff' at end of life the Vgate swings below the gate threshold.. what will undoubtedly happen is that the FET will slowly shutdown to limit the current and the Vbat will never get a chance to get below 3.0V..

Example.. 10.8V solution; 2-4V gate voltage... Vbat of 12.7 to 9.0V (3 cells)..

you want the Vgate to be at most 2V at 8.5V vbat... so you set a 100k pot from Vbat to ground such that you get 2V/8.5V or 23.5k/100... if the Vbat goes below 8.5V you will have an FET that is 'off'... when the Vbat is 12.6 you will have 22.2/100*12.6= 2.96V on the FET... well into the 'on' range.. and at 10.8v.. you have 2.54V... you might have to find a more senstive FET (gate threshold of 1V) to make sure that you have full conductance at nominal voltage.. when the battery starts to die at the end, there will be some power dissipation on the FET so it needs to be heat-sunk.

(or.. for $7 you can build the same ckt i'm making.. http://hotdriver.rouse.com ) and it has built-in shut-down at 92% of preset output voltage... you can set the voltage a little more conservatively (say 10.6V vs 10.8V) to get longer runtime.. but in that example i would reverse-engineer the most sensible choice..

A LiON cell is for all practical purposes stone-cold dead at 3.45V.. so triplify (sic).. and you get 10.35.. add 0.1V for the resistance losses.. and you get 10.45V... so right around 10.5V would be an ideal setting for 100% regulation of a mag85 (or other 9.6V bulb overdriven in a '10.8V' solution.

looking on the WA rereater:.. http://bulbrater.rouse.com (love my shortcuts).. one of the pre-fab choices is 10.56V/3.32A.. 3473 K, 1140 lumen.. but 15.9hrs!

considering that a KIU DD solution will get about 1200 lumen average but will put almost immeasurable increase of stress on the bulb.. and considering you are lucky to get 1000 lumen out of a PR based 1185 solution.. i kinda like the 1140 constant for 100% of battery life mag85 solution!

I have the most complete spreadsheet comparing all useful bulbs i can find on the WA website using each battery voltage i can make up using LiON cells.. It's not complete yet so i haven't posted it but it's amazingly detailed.

the 1185 is amazing, no wonder it's 'the weapon of choice' for so many.. but i don't like the wildly dropping initial brightness... with some reigns on that bad boy i bet the bulb life will actually be close to the calculated value and holding the voltage back to like 10.7 still nets you almost 1200 lumen, but this time for like 1/2 the runtime.

The 1154 takes about 48W to output the light that the 1185 will at about 36... but the bulb life as you have noticed.. substantially higher!.. re-rating the 1154 for 14.3V (the FET driver will drop about .1V).. it can output almost 1400 lumen.. 61 hr lifespan.. 3365K.. probably about 3.3-3.35A.

with a 12-pack of R123s in 3x4 it will have about the exact same runtime as 1185 with 9pack.. but of course you can fit the 9pack into a 2D-3 FM host. (saaaweeet version of the mag85!). the mag-85 version of the 2 1/2D is what you described above.. 3x3 17500.. no better way to go.. just over 1A/cell.

The output will drop DRAMATICALLY loooong before the cells become dangerously low.. as long as you know what you are doing you won't risk deep discharging your cells.. i also measure the individual cells to try to match them up nice in the stacks.

I'm trying to get an interest feeler on 14.4V solutions because i'd love to see some really exciting possibilities:

4x18650 in a 2 1/2 D-2 would be the same watt-hour as 6x17670s in 2 1/2 D-3 host... but with 14.4 or 7.2V options it's wide open to neat possibilities.. from 400 lumen looooong lasting solutions to regulated solutions using the 1166 from 14.4 at 900+ lumen or the 1160 running from 7.2V solution at 800+ lumen (100% regulation on either of those solutions).

interesting on the lens top.. that should keep the light from being too 'floody'.. the really big bulbs with big filaments tend to be a lot less spot and lot more flood... i hope to get some stippled reflectors because they are so the bomb and i think the combo will be very nice.. the vast majority of the light comes out the sides and bounces off the reflector.. and the 'flood' portion of the beam is usually what comes out the front, so the lens will hold back some of that spreading light and cause the center to be brighter than it would normally.. it will be very interesting to compare head-to-head the 1185 vs the 1154.. i can't wait to get them next to each other for the showdown.

-awR

ps.. some of the 'gems' i have in the works..

800-900 lumen 1160 in a 7.2V host (2D-3)
1200 lumen 1185 in this host (2 1/2D-3) (also works in the 2D-3 with 123s)
1400 lumen 1154 in this host... with 12 R123s
900+ lumen 1166 in a 1D host (don't try this at home.. over 2.5C on the batteries!)
900+ lumen in THIS host with 9x17500

We have a top-secret very sneaky design in the works.. realistic estimated output 1600 bulb lumen (taking resistances into account).. host.. 2 1/2D and also a 'pushing the envelope' version with the 2D-3 host. Hope to have that prototype running within a month for the people to see we think it'll really blow the minds of the hotwire world.

-awr

whgreeniv

Newly Enlightened
Wow these look really cool. I finally found some people as nuts as me with the flashlights. I ordered and paid via Paypal already for the following:

1 x Flashlight (black #4) $50
2 x Batt Holder $64
2 x Potted WA1111 $20
1 x LOP Reflector $20
1 x Boro Lens $5
Shipping $8
Ins $2.20
Total paid $169.20
:paypal:
Looking forward to lighting up my yard with this light, sounds really great.

Shine on!
whgreenIV

whgreeniv

Newly Enlightened
Got my light today and put the Pila's in and fired it up. Wow! Pretty impressive. Light had awesome output and was definitely brighter in spotlight mode than my M6. Only hitch was after about 15 mins of use (i had it on for a lot of that time) my first bulb blew up. Not sure why but I guess it would be wise to have several of these on hand. Would like to know where these can be purchased if anyone knows. In the meantime I will see if my Fivemega has a few more.

Great Light!:wow:

WHG

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red #1 bobbo paid and shipped
Red #2
Red #3
-----------
Black #1 xraydoc paid and shipped
Black #2 XFlash paid and shipped
Black #3 alauda paid and shipped
Black #4 whgreeniv paid and shipped
Black #5 Phased_Array paid and shipped
Black #6
Black #7 ophelan paid and shipped
-----------
Silver #1 Kevin Tan paid and shipped
Silver #2 max52 paid and shipped
Silver #3 ec paid and shipped
-----------
Pewter #1 xrayvision paid and shipped
Pewter #2 bobbo paid and shipped
Pewter #3 andrewwynn paid and shipped
-----------
Chrome plated #1 Lurveleven paid and shipped
Chrome plated #2
Chrome plated #3
-----------
Only some red, black and chrome left.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today.. mucho niceo.. I actually swiped the 1111 potted and popped it into my 2D host, and now i'm trying out the axial bulb.. that bulb puts light EV REY WHERE. pretty much looks like you just turned the room lights on!

-awr

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
andrewwynn said:
Got mine today.. mucho niceo.. I actually swiped the 1111 potted and popped it into my 2D host, and now i'm trying out the axial bulb.. that bulb puts light EV REY WHERE. pretty much looks like you just turned the room lights on!

-awr
Anything less than that is not acceptable.:)