2 C Cell Mini Maglite LED at Wal Mart

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting !

Wonder what the Current Draw is on this.

Won't even last 3 Hours on a pair of C alkalines !

:shakehead
_

The specs just state run time on high. There is no info that I caught saying what happens at the end of the 2 hours. It doesn't strike me as the type of light that would be regulated and cut off but I think someone is going to have do a run time test to get the info we want. You make a sacrifice with a single level light,run times are going to be commensurate with the output of the light.I was looking for other lights to compare this too but there aren't that many 2C LED lights,a lot of them are 3 cell.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The specs just state run time on high. There is no info that I caught saying what happens at the end of the 2 hours. It doesn't strike me as the type of light that would be regulated and cut off but I think someone is going to have do a run time test to get the info we want. You make a sacrifice with a single level light,run times are going to be commensurate with the output of the light.I was looking for other lights to compare this too but there aren't that many 2C LED lights,a lot of them are 3 cell.
I did the test,read above?

The light runs and dims until about dead and at under 3 hours is about 1/10 the original output.
This is just my eyeball guesstimate of the level but this one just does not have the battery life that I hoped it could.

There appears to be no electronics in it all and I assume it is direct drive simple?

It is a nice light and I love the size and heft but they did not do much to complete the package to my tastes and give it the kind of runtime the 2 bigger cells could provide and then it would have been a pretty amazing light for me.

maglite mike

Enlightened
The new mags don't have a ring anymore. Although I haven't seen the flood on this particular model.

maglite mike

Enlightened
Correct fron what I understand this is a direct drive with no step down etx. Therefore I think its a true 2 hours of 177 lumens.

The light runs and dims until about dead and at under 3 hours is about 1/10 the original output.
This is just my eyeball guesstimate of the level but this one just does not have the battery life that I hoped it could.

There appears to be no electronics in it all and I assume it is direct drive simple?

It is a nice light and I love the size and heft but they did not do much to complete the package to my tastes and give it the kind of runtime the 2 bigger cells could provide and then it would have been a pretty amazing light for me.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry I missed that post! I am fine with the 2hr High run time but a little disappointed that it won't continue to run much after the 2hr point at reduced output.A Malkoff 2C drop-in is rated at 1.5 hrs (270 lumens) but it is supposed to run for several hours afterwards.Still like this light at less than $20 for utility purposes but maybe not so much for power outages and the like.At least it may prove reliable with simple operation and direct drive. The LED appears to be very small,maybe an XP-C ?,another possible explanation for the lack of efficiency.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Correct fron what I understand this is a direct drive with no step down etx. Therefore I think its a true 2 hours of 177 lumens.

Doesn't seem to be a regulated light MM, so 177 steady for 2 hours remains to be seen.
But for you...I'm trying out a lux meter app on my phone.
Next pic will be in an hour.

1:38pm

I'll edit this post with the follow ups.

It does seem 2 hours is unfortunate. Especially if it's non regulated.
The 3 cell version says it has 4 less lumens yet 9x the runtime. Must be that one has a differing (much more efficient) emitter perhaps?

Edit:

2:36pm

Watching it on the ceiling is interesting. It's almost like watching a candle output with a slight breeze in the room.
It's about 1.5 hours and there is noticable changes occuring in the beam. There is a slightly dimmer ring around the spot. It's diameter is staying the same while the the bright spot shrinks and grows.
It was hardly noticable in hour 1. During hour 2 it's happening more regularly.

3:39 Pm....2 hours.
The globe is noticably warm, but not uncomfy by any means. Beam stuff I noted between hour 1 and 2 has stabilized.

4:33pm

So it made the 2 hours still burning brightly.
Next comment will be about dimming or shutting down.

4:38, she's fading. Light is noticably dimmer.

4:51 she's fading fast.

I shut it down at 4:55pm. There was still useable light for lighting shadows under a bed or finding dropped car keys etc. But I decided since it was noticably dimming by the minute the test was over before damaging the light as it was also getting noticably warmer by the minute.

Conclusion:
2+ hours at rated output, 3/4 of the 3rd hour was as well. Then nearly an hour of decline.
I'd say it's safe to say 2 things here:
1) this is not a max efficient flashlight.
2) expect at least 3 hours useable light from a pair of Rayovac Alkalines.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I will get a couple of the incan models and try a drop-in of some sort.Will be lower output but longer runtimes.If Gene would be willing to make a Malkoff drop-in for that light........!!!:) Knowing Mag they probably designed it to be drop-in proof so nobody could make one.:ironic:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 hrs using alkaline Cs, regardless of the circuit, seems very unlikely.
Unlikely how?

I tried it and thats what it did.

I just got a Mini Mag Pro that does 2.5 hours at higher rated output?
They had to try to make one with this bad of a runtime!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Unlikely how?

I tried it and thats what it did.

I just got a Mini Mag Pro that does 2.5 hours at higher rated output?
They had to try to make one with this bad of a runtime!

AV says it runs about 3 hours total. I believe him.
I'm just doing what I'm doing to test a pair of Rayovac alkalines.
Frankly I'll be surprised if my results vary far from his.
I've been using Rayovac's partly because they're USA made, partly because they're cheaper, but mostly because they last at least as long as the copper bunny top ones.

My guess is Mag used an older gen emitter (read less efficient) for these.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
This would be so much more exciting if they'd just given it the same circuit as the MiniMag PRO, you'd think that would've been easier..

twin63

Newly Enlightened
Thanks AVService and bykfixer for taking the time to test and post results. Based on price, I may still pick up a couple to give my 25+ year old AA some company. I don't typically use my lights for long periods of time, so a set of batteries will last a while, although I admit it's a bit disappointing from an efficiency standpoint.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks AVService and bykfixer for taking the time to test and post results. Based on price, I may still pick up a couple to give my 25+ year old AA some company. I don't typically use my lights for long periods of time, so a set of batteries will last a while, although I admit it's a bit disappointing from an efficiency standpoint.

Definitely a solid light for occasional, short duration uses. I think it's a logical alternative to the mini mag in terms of the typical mini mag duties.

I've shown mine to a few folks who say "man that's pretty cool"..."what's the run time?"....I say 2 hours and thus far with 100% reaction is "oh, no thanks" and they hand it back. These have been folks who need light for a few hours at a time like those who work on restoring power lines, a couple of firemen and construction workers I've run into at work today.

Last edited:

twin63

Newly Enlightened
"what's the run time?"....2 hours
Based on what I've been buying lately, that would be an improvement! Lol. I've picked up 3 Surefire 6P's and 2 C2's over the last few weeks (missed out on them before the flashlight bug really hit me). At least one 6P will remain stock with its 1 hour runtime:).

I think the 2C Mini Mags will be fun lights to mess around with. I have plenty of AA eneloops and some of the C adapters - that should be an inexpensive way to feed them.

Latest posts