2 C Cell Mini Maglite LED at Wal Mart

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Based on what I've been buying lately, that would be an improvement! Lol. I've picked up 3 Surefire 6P's and 2 C2's over the last few weeks (missed out on them before the flashlight bug really hit me). At least one 6P will remain stock with its 1 hour runtime:).

I think the 2C Mini Mags will be fun lights to mess around with. I have plenty of AA eneloops and some of the C adapters - that should be an inexpensive way to feed them.

Just ordered some C adapters my own self. That and a pair of imideon C cells for the black one the post man dropped off today.

I decided the lowest S/N stays in the package.
This is getting fun. Feels good to have a Mag back in the EDC rotation again.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Looking at bykfixer's lux reading, I see flat runtime for 2+ hours. It is regulated, not direct drive.

Bill

Poppy

Flashaholic

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Home Depot has the 3 cell version.
4 less lumens yet 9x the (rated) runtime on 1 more cell. Crazy.

10 meters less throw as well.
The Mag engineers are freaking me out on this one.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would be so much more exciting if they'd just given it the same circuit as the MiniMag PRO, you'd think that would've been easier..

That's what I was hoping they did when I first saw these.....270 ish lumens from a Xpg2 with greater run time and throw than the 2AA Mini Mag Pro. As it is, I don't have much interest in the 2C version, though the 3C might be decent.

Poppy

Flashaholic
9x the rated run-time. with the 3C.
I recall seeing a run-time/output chart of the 3D mags. They had their initial output, which dropped off considerably in the first hour or two, and then were only about 25% of their initial output for about 40 or so hours, and dragging on just above the 10% output level for another 30 hours or so.

Perhaps this 3C will do the same thing. IE not be regulated other than to drop off rapidly initially, and then drag on for the rest of the time at 20-30% of the initial output.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will someone with one of these please try to remove the LED pill. From the photos, I think it's the same as the MiniMag. If it is, then the pro pill will fit right in.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will someone with one of these please try to remove the LED pill. From the photos, I think it's the same as the MiniMag. If it is, then the pro pill will fit right in.
Give me any kind of direction here at all and I will whack on it!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, whats with all the 0's in Mags serials? I was looking and some of my Mags and most of them have a bunch of 0's.....is there some kind of super secret code to Mag's serials?? or did I just get early ones?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well all my 'older model' lights have 3's and 7's etc where the zeros are in these. I presume that means early run lights, but there's no telling with MagLite...they'll tell ya they don't even know.

My guess is the stamper knows, and I'd bet a Pepsi he or she has some pretty cool serial numbered MagLites.

nitedrive

Newly Enlightened
Thanks bykfixer for the run time test. It's clear that unlike many lights, including many Maglites, this one is going for flat, regulated output until the cells give out. I suspect the 3C does the same. Many lights as I'm sure most are aware slowly or even rapidly step down the output. This in a sense plays games with the rating system because you can claim a very high brightness, dim to say 11% after 1 minute then run for hours at this refused output level. The XL50 is VERY guilty of this sin. Hence 3AAA batteries seem to produce almost as much output and runtime as the 3C model.
http://www.led-resource.com/2010/10/maglite-xl50-led-flashlight-review/

As for the much longer 3C run time, I think that is a case of just a very long tail on output vs time plot. Note one of the comments at the end of this review
http://www.led-resource.com/2015/04/maglite-ml300lx-review/
A poster noted that the 2D light went 33 hours at the low (143 lumen) setting while the 3D made it to 143(!) at the same output level. Well if you look at the plots you see that the 2D stayed flat for 11 hours vs 33 for the 3D. The 2D clearly has a less efficient boost converter (understandable). But that doesn't explain 33 vs 143 hours to get from 143 to 14.3 (10%) lumens. The review addressed this in a comment after the article. Basically they said that with 3 cells you don't need a voltage boost to drive the LED at a low level. So the system can run for a very long time with low cell voltage. However, when you consider the 2D system you need enough voltage to operate the boost converter. So you effectively hover just above 10% for a long time with the 3 cell but under 10% for a long time with a 2 cell. If the ML25 is like the ML300s then the 3C likely has 2x the flat run time and a very long, low output tail.

Incidentally, while this seems like kind of a cool light, my local Walmart has the ML50L 3C lights for $33. Not much extra for a light with huge output (that drops fairly quickly according to the ML300 plots) but also has various modes.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks bykfixer for the run time test.
If the ML25 is like the ML300s then the 3C likely has 2x the flat run time and a very long, low output tail.

Incidentally, while this seems like kind of a cool light, my local Walmart has the ML50L 3C lights for $33. Not much extra for a light with huge output (that drops fairly quickly according to the ML300 plots) but also has various modes.

I like the simplicity of the on/off of this one. No fancy levels, no loopholes in output vs ratings, no gimmicky now-you-see-it-now-you-don't nonsense.
However I would prefer the thing to have a side switch. If found the beam I like and use the tail cap to turn it on/off.

I figure on doing some sort of run test on the 3C and hope you're correct or not far off nitedrive. 4 hour regulated with a mile long tail would be awesome.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I could share this enthusiasm here but if I can get the same output and runtime with an actual Mini Mag what is the appeal really f the C sized MiniMag?
I really like the form of this C cell Mini but the performance is just bizarre to me?

Also while I agree that the 33 dollar light is a lot more light all around it is also almost double the price and much less sized for easy carry too.

Such a shame to me that they could not focus on runtime with this 2C light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ they won't be my primary lights for various reasons.
I bought a pewter one to have a light that at a glance is akin to some classic lights of my youth.
I like the regulated thing as well...at least in the 2 cell version.
I'll decide later on the 3 cell version but bought it as an alternative to my Streamlight Stinger LED. Again I bought pewter as at a glance I'll know it aint the Stinger.

It kinda comes down to whether this will be a primary light or not. And my thinking in terms of the mass public it likely will be. And I also believe the mass public will endorse this light by buying them in droves.

There was 25 2-cell versions at my local Wal Mart on Saturday and none yesterday.
On Tuesday there was 12 3-cell versions at my local home depot. None on Wednesday.

A year from now we'll see, but for now they're selling like hot cakes.

I do not see the incan version catching on. Partly because incan aint cool to most. And partly because the incan mini mag beam flat out destroys the C size version. I'm still scratching my head on that one. When I shined it in my backyard there was a gigantic filament shadow.
I was able to play around with it and get things about as good as the mini mag beam...but shouldn't have to...this is 2016 afterall.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody measure tail current on 2C and 3C with fresh alkaline batteries?
Has anybody tested run time using rechargeable "C" cells?
Has anybody tested output and run time using single protected (3400 mAh) cell in 2C and 3C?
Has anybody measure inside and outside diameter of barrel?
Answer of above questions may answer your question too.

Thank you.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Has anybody measure tail current on 2C and 3C with fresh alkaline batteries?
Has anybody tested run time using rechargeable "C" cells?
Has anybody tested output and run time using single protected (3400 mAh) cell in 2C and 3C?
Has anybody measure inside and outside diameter of barrel?
Answer of above questions may answer your question too.

Thank you.

I hear ya.

But my only question is...

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE MODS? I'm down for a FiveMega clicky tailcap and a cooling head for my incan one.

Well that and will they be available in camo...

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks bykfixer for the run time test. It's clear that unlike many lights, including many Maglites, this one is going for flat, regulated output until the cells give out. I suspect the 3C does the same. Many lights as I'm sure most are aware slowly or even rapidly step down the output. This in a sense plays games with the rating system because you can claim a very high brightness, dim to say 11% after 1 minute then run for hours at this refused output level. The XL50 is VERY guilty of this sin. Hence 3AAA batteries seem to produce almost as much output and runtime as the 3C model.
http://www.led-resource.com/2010/10/maglite-xl50-led-flashlight-review/

As for the much longer 3C run time, I think that is a case of just a very long tail on output vs time plot. Note one of the comments at the end of this review
http://www.led-resource.com/2015/04/maglite-ml300lx-review/
A poster noted that the 2D light went 33 hours at the low (143 lumen) setting while the 3D made it to 143(!) at the same output level. Well if you look at the plots you see that the 2D stayed flat for 11 hours vs 33 for the 3D. The 2D clearly has a less efficient boost converter (understandable). But that doesn't explain 33 vs 143 hours to get from 143 to 14.3 (10%) lumens. The review addressed this in a comment after the article. Basically they said that with 3 cells you don't need a voltage boost to drive the LED at a low level. So the system can run for a very long time with low cell voltage. However, when you consider the 2D system you need enough voltage to operate the boost converter. So you effectively hover just above 10% for a long time with the 3 cell but under 10% for a long time with a 2 cell. If the ML25 is like the ML300s then the 3C likely has 2x the flat run time and a very long, low output tail.

Some useful info. Their review of the Mini Mag Pro is also worth a look.I think the ML25 is better than it's specs make it sound since it seems to offer a consistent output but I also believe Mag has used a less efficient LED in this light.Looking at the LED side by side with that of the Mini-Mag Pro it is noticeably smaller than that of the PRO leading me to think it my be a lower cost XP-C or something similar. Like bykfixer I appreciate the fact that this is a no nonsense single level light.The 3C might be better overall but the size of the 2C ML25 appeals to me more. The LED pills of the ML25 and the Mini-Mag Pro are very similar but I don't know how easy it would be to swap them and I really don't want to ruin either light trying at this point. I have plenty of runtime kings and lights that drop output in short order for runtime anyway.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here exactly.
I would be happy to tear into it with a little guidance from anyone who has tried but I don't want to experiment badly enough and possibly kill the light……yet.

But I have to wonder why if it would be a simple swap they would not just build it like the 2AA in the first place too?

You would imagine the only real difference would be run time with a lot more out of the C cells or am I missing something?

Some useful info. Their review of the Mini Mag Pro is also worth a look.I think the ML25 is better than it's specs make it sound since it seems to offer a consistent output but I also believe Mag has used a less efficient LED in this light.Looking at the LED side by side with that of the Mini-Mag Pro it is noticeably smaller than that of the PRO leading me to think it my be a lower cost XP-C or something similar. Like bykfixer I appreciate the fact that this is a no nonsense single level light.The 3C might be better overall but the size of the 2C ML25 appeals to me more. The LED pills of the ML25 and the Mini-Mag Pro are very similar but I don't know how easy it would be to swap them and I really don't want to ruin either light trying at this point. I have plenty of runtime kings and lights that drop output in short order for runtime anyway.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here exactly.
I would be happy to tear into it with a little guidance from anyone who has tried but I don't want to experiment badly enough and possibly kill the light……yet.

But I have to wonder why if it would be a simple swap they would not just build it like the 2AA in the first place too?

You would imagine the only real difference would be run time with a lot more out of the C cells or am I missing something?

It is hard to tell with Mag sometimes. Maybe they were responding to consumers complaining of declining brightness and were trying to address that or perhaps they found a low cost a package they could sell cheaply,maybe a little of both...who knows?. Having a standard socket that could accept various LED pills would be the obvious answer to me,look at the success of the incan conversions and the SF P60 drop-ins.Mag is very protective of their product line though and doesn't want any after-market mods for their lights so it probably will never happen. Unfortunately I doubt Mag has made it easy to swap modules expressly to prevent modification.