2002 Duracell Allkys

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
I found an old AA powered LED bike taillight over the weekend with 4 Duracells in it, dated "best if installed by Jan 2002". No leaks, and they test higher on my battery meter than any of the 5 samples I pulled out of a new brick of 24 Duracells I got at Home Depot about a month ago. WTF! I guess they changed the chemestry somewhere along the line, because the new ones SUCK! I put 2 in my TK20, and 1 in my Quark AA, and I can tell the difference in both lights.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not surprised to see that many products creep quality downhill when they can. I'd like to see this test:

Connect a 10-ohm resistor from + to - on the old cells, compare to 4 new cells. Higher voltage wins.

I know some survivalist forums who track:
* Cost of 1 year's food
* Calories per dollar of many foods

They have noticed many sauces and foods in cans being watered down to cheapen product and lower cost to make them (without dropping price). This shows up in lower calorie count...and now weaker cells.

Bozzlite

Enlightened
What's really amazing is that those old cells didn't leak and ruin the light. They were probably manufactured around 1997.

What voltage readings were you getting. I usually get 1.54v to 1.56v or so on a new cell. Sears DMM, can't say how accurate it is.

Last edited:

czAtlantis

Enlightened
I have 2 Varta alkalines,no leaks, best before: 03/94! (so probably manufactured around 1990 - yes, they are actually over 20years old!). Still have 1,3V (but current is low, like 300mA in short circuit) - but still good enough to power remotes.
"Made in West Germany" -

Can't imagine doing something alike with today batteries (maybe lithium but this technology is too young to test with something like this)

Last edited by a moderator:

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
LOL, my wife and I always say we keep things too long. And we really do.
We keep them for good reasons! I don't have a voltage meter. I came across that light and figured I'd put Energizer L91 liths in it, for long shelflife, and keep it in my girlfriend's car as a breakdown light. I would NEVER expect the new Duras too be up to the task. She got a little snowglobe decoration for Christmas that has a light, and a little propeller at the bottom too stir up the "snow", and it killed 3 new AA Duras in less than 2 weeks of 4 hour a day use. My Quark AA also goes thru them very quickly.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found an old AA powered LED bike taillight over the weekend with 4 Duracells in it, dated "best if installed by Jan 2002". No leaks, and they test higher on my battery meter than any of the 5 samples I pulled out of a new brick of 24 Duracells I got at Home Depot about a month ago. WTF! I guess they changed the chemestry somewhere along the line, because the new ones SUCK! I put 2 in my TK20, and 1 in my Quark AA, and I can tell the difference in both lights.

Funny you should mention it.

I just broke open 2x4 pk. D Duracells with a 2002 date on them and 1x4 pk. Energizer Ds with a 2004 date on them. I got them all on sale back in the lateish 90s for my 2x6D Maglites, but I don't use those lights much.

Of the 8 Duracells, all were over 1.54v except one, that read 1.28v, so I pitched that one. Of the 4 Energizers, all tested over ~1.54v, but one was leaking slightly, so I pitched that one.

I don't know how long they'll last in the MLs, but I was surprised that these batteries, which are 10 and 8 years past their expiry date, were mostly all good.

Chris

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
Chris, I also have some C cells from that era out in a toolbox in the garage I carried as spares for a 4C lazer level for carpentry. I'll have to dig those out and check them. I live in Jersey, so, just like the AA's that were in the garaged bike light, they lived many years in very cold winters, and very hot summers. Quite an achivement!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im curious where these duracells were manufactured?

Both of mine are 'made in America' and both have the battery tester dohickeys on the wrapper.

I just looked and the Duracells are March '03, but close enough for government work. The Energizers were only labeled on the blister pack, FWIW.

Chris

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just measured the 12 that were in my 2 6D Maglites (half Energizers and half Duracells from that era) and some were in the 1.49-1.50v range, but probably half of them were in the 1.53-1.54v range. They've held up pretty well on the voltage end of the scale.

Chris

Last edited: