2D or 6D

F

Fatbot

Hi all

I am looking at purchasing a Maglite for my work duties(security) and am looking at the 2D to 6D range of flashlights.

Outside the obvious size difference what advantages does a 6D torch hold over a 2D.

Sorry if this is a lame question but I am very green when it comes to torches so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Fatbot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the 6D will have way better runtime, be significantly brighter and can double as a club in emergency situations...
The 2D will be lighter, smaller, a little cheaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and easier to carry arround...

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can lug the weight, the 6D isn't a bad light. It's very bright with a xenon bulb, long runtime, and good smiting-rod potential. I don't think I'd want a 2D light for this kind of thing. Police in the past were big on 4-6D lights.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A 3D makes a pretty nice host for 4C Batteries. It's a bit lighter and easier to swing that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Kinda bright too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I sorta plan to go to Batteries Plus tomorrow for 4 or possibly 9 NimH C cells, so I can run one or two lights for 'free'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

llvo

Enlightened
A 4D or a 6C would be lighter(length about equal).
I would recommend 6C for it is lighter than a 4D while as bright as a 6D. It can also swing faster than a 6D...

For smaller hands 6C definitely serves better as a club.

theepdinker

Enlightened
I did some security work a few a years ago. Carried a Mag 4d cell. Bigger was a pain in a vehicle. The two cell didn't give enough light. Try the 3 & 4 cell units for size, balance and ease of use. Don't forget to switch'em on to compare the light output.
Theepdinker

14C

Enlightened
Take a look at the Diamond Replacement thread in the LED forum. Craig Johnson is reviewing a 3 Watt LED drop-in for the Mag 3C/D. I have several...makes a great beam..much whiter and brighter than the krypton bulbs and has a good runtime. Craig is currently running a test on it (might be done now) for runtime.

I find 3D a good compromise between portability and runtime/brightness and it certainly could be used to defend yourself.

Mike 161

Newly Enlightened
Fatbot;

If you are limiting yourself to a Mag-Lite, I would strongly suggest either a 3-D or a 4-C version. These have the same candlepower rating (14,000), and are about the same length (3-D = 12 3/16"; 4-C = 12 3/8"). More important, these are easily carried, as opposed to the larger lights, and can still be used as a "emergency impact device" if needed. But the most important reason is: these sizes are more "acceptable" to the general public, and are easier to justify to a jury, should you have to go to court for an arrest/use of force case. It's not an accident many law enforcement and security officers carry smaller lights. Many law enforcement agencies and security companies have weight/length restrictions on flashlights (due to liability concerns), so you may want to check your company policy before purchasing a light.

You might also want to consider purchasing a rechargable flashlight (i.e. Mag-Charger, Pelican M-11, Streamlight SL-20 series) or a small lithium or rechargeable light (i.e. Streamlight "Stinger" series, Surefire 6-P, ASP Triad, Pelican M-6). These lights do cost more (most are over $100.00, but some cost less), but are worth it in my opinion. You can do a "search" on this board, or go to the manufacture's websites for model information and reviews.

Whatever you decide, good luck and be safe.

Mike

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fatbot, go with the Magcharger if the extra $$ is available. It is easily the cream of Mag's line. Rechargeable, huge battery savings, more constant light output with little dimming, 3D size with 6D output. Drop in bulb upgrades and different batteries, once you hang out here at CPF and get the swing of things, make the MC into a serious monsterlight! There are many threads on this, and it's easy to do. The stock version will run for 2+ hours, up to 3.5+ with new batts. The modded version with new bulb will run 40 mins on stock batts and around 75+ with new batts. Output will zoom from 175 to 500 lumens! More options are also in "development" and on the way. A UCL lens, also a drop in replacement, will add 10% additional output (from flashlightlens.com).

How's that for a quick summary?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
4C NimH (2700mAh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif ) from Batteries Plus are on my C Crane Quick Charger right now. I am going to make one of my 3D lights a "Go to" light.

Although if I should happen to find a 4C M*g.......

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaser's and Mike's advice is on the button. If you want to look at total operating costs and expect to be using the light frequently, even 20-30 minutes a night, a MagCharger will pay off in the long run. It's also capable of easily being modded so that it is 4-5 times brighter than a 6-cell alky Mag.

If you have small hands, a 5C or 6C willmake an excellent, if controversial, impact weapon as the swing speed can go up considerably. It you expect to use it in "tap tap" mode, the beefier "D" body is better.

Hey Joe, why not pick up at 4C from Zbattery.com. That's where I get my C bodies. I think Flashlightking has better prices on D's though.

Wilkey

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
There is this itsy bitsy little problem Wilkey.

Credit Card use is Verbotten. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

This precludes most online shopping. I can use a money order or pay cash locally (when I have some! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif ).

This is a pain as there is some stuff I really want! Things like a White Everled, someone to make my KL3 White instead of pink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif , a Mr. Bulk creation or three etc.

Alas, that is the way it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

PS. It's taking my C Crane QC a bit longer to stuff these C's than it does to stuff AA's... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
As was previously posted some companies have restrictions on the length of flashlights. My local PD went to plastic body lights like Streamlights PolyStingers, they say officers should be using batons not flashlights as impact weapons.

If your on foot a long heavy light on the belt can be a pain, in a vehicle it can be a bigger pain.

My first pick has always been a c-cell sized light less than 14" in length. If it were me I'd go for one of the Streamlight rechargeable Stingers and carry a Surefire L4 or A2 as backup.

If your not aware of the considerable damage that can be done with a minimag wielded as a kubaton, perhaps you should get some defensive training. Also consider Pepperspray.

Bottom line what does the Security Company suggest or issue? A decent company will have some sort of policy or recommendation, not always a practical one...but often drafted by their attorney with company liability in mind...not the officer's safety.

GregR

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
maglites were cool back in the day, their beams just suck now in comparison to whats out there. my dept issues streamlight 20xls theyre decent. i carry a surefire a2 backup on belt and carry the 20xl main. its a good combo. sometimes i take the m3t too.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

M*glites aren't super cool these days true.

But I wish I could show you my red 3D in person. It is powered by 4C NimH. I am driving a 3 cell Whitestar Krypton. The bulb is pretty well centered in the stock M*g reflector. And the lense is Acrylite.

It makes a soft round pretty bright hotspot with decent spill. It will defocus to almost twice as big before the hole shows up.

Sure, any number of 2x123 lights will kick it's a$$. And it is much bigger and clunkier than any 2x or 3x 123.

Still, it's pretty respectable for old tech.

I think I'll wrap it with grip tape and use it to walk the dog.

matt1987

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
14C said:
Take a look at the Diamond Replacement thread in the LED forum. Craig Johnson is reviewing a 3 Watt LED drop-in for the Mag 3C/D. I have several...makes a great beam..much whiter and brighter than the krypton bulbs and has a good runtime. Craig is currently running a test on it (might be done now) for runtime.

I find 3D a good compromise between portability and runtime/brightness and it certainly could be used to defend yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello, you said defend yourself, do you mean shining the light into the eyes? or using it as a impact weapon? i used to have a maglite 4d, brightness is okay not SureFire Power. 4D is not blinding to me, i try it before. KL5 is BLINDING!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Greg

Newly Enlightened
When working security, I used to carry around a 3D maglite, but after visiting this forum, I realized there was a huge flashlight out there that I was unaware of. After purchasing a Pelican M6, I saw the difference in these flashlights, and never carried the Maglite again, except when I though there were situations were I thought I might need it, this was not for illumination mind you.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, tried posting this a moment ago and it went POOF.

I picked up a 3D M@g in Kauai in Jungle Camo which now sports 4C's and a 3 cell Krypton bulb to give it performance that suits its adventurous exterior.

paulr

Flashaholic
Fatbot, if you're going to be using the light every light, definitely get a rechargeable light. If you insist on a Mag, get a Magcharger. However, Mags in general are pretty obsolete as illumination devices. They can still function as impact weapons, but as a security guard you're better off carrying a baton for that purpose. So as far as lights go, try the Streamlight line, the Stinger/Polystinger or the new Strion. They are a heck of lot smaller than the Mags and you won't tire nearly as fast from lugging them around.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr, I agree that there are options for rechargeables if you're using a stock config. However, the Stingers cannot approach the output of a modified Magcharger, even with just a bulb replacement. It's a matter of how much light do you want/need vs. size. In this case, for the Mag, bigger is still more. I'm not a Mag fan, but the MC does give you more options to easily configure how much brightness, throw, runtime etc you'd like. No near-stock light throws like a MC w/01160 bulb. Security is one occupation that can legitimately say they have a use for bright, long-throwing lights. If your need is for a bright occasional light with some throw, then I would go for the Strion. Another option that combines the best of both is the Pila G3LR. Rechargeable, very bright, great beam, and also has long running leds. Size is very do-able for Security purposes.