3400mAh Panasonic NCR18650B

ven

Flashaholic
Forgot about the D4 David:rolleyes: thats was on my must buys ............but i dont know when its coming out,if had a date then it would be easier or just get one anyway as its a 4ch charger......

markr6

Flashaholic
It seems, NiteCore is coming out with a D4 charger, which is very similar, in features, to XTAR's VP2, and is also LiFePO4 capable (nice). I'm itching to pick one or two up when they become available.

As as for the sticky charging channels in the i4, I used some Nyogel 760 lubricant and applied it in the slots, with a Q-tip, and now everything is smooth as glass.

I like the looks of that but still frustratingly sloooooow. Is it a heat issue? Playing it safe? I wonder

GeoffS

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for some high drain batteries and came across these Panasonics which are grey in colour. They also have quite a high capacity.

Has anybody had any experience with these batteries?

Panasonic NCR18650BD 3.7V 3200mAh Li-ion 10A continuous discharge

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for some high drain batteries and came across these Panasonics which are grey in colour. They also have quite a high capacity.

Has anybody had any experience with these batteries?

Panasonic NCR18650BD 3.7V 3200mAh Li-ion 10A continuous discharge

Looks like it's the successor to the NCR18650PF 2900mAh cell, which succeeded the NCR18650PD and is a hybrid type chemistry. From the one E-cig site I just visited, they're not that common and FastTech was advertising them.

If they're not vaporware, or in the least, hard to find like the 3600s, they seem to be promising. The vapers will like them because some of them like to draw 8A+ and these cells should work in that situation.

ETA:

Not listed on this datasheet:

http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-cgi/jvcr21pz.cgi?E+BA+3+ACA4001+4++WW

Chris

Last edited:

uprightbassmatt

Newly Enlightened
I have these Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh (4 unprotected cells) and after one and a half year with my Fenix TK75 this set works perfectly good in any conditions. My charger is Nitecore i4 V2, springs are a bit stiff and power cable a bit loose in the unit however in overall a great charger. Loading last ages though :D but I think that's good for batteries for long lasting duty and good performance. Great batteries, no doubt about it. Next ones will be Panasonic for sure.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I purchased two more recently from mountain electronics. I like unprotected, but with button tops since they are still short enough for all lights (that I know of) and the clear wrapper gives a slightly larger diameter to eliminate battery rattle! Perfect!

uprightbassmatt

Newly Enlightened
Marshall from Going Gear wrote to me: "I wouldn't use unprotected in any light, especially the high output ones. Too much can go wrong and I don't like things in my hand to violently vent flames and then explode. :)"

That worries me a little...

I always thought when you use the same brand, the same capacity good quality unprotected cells and fully loaded in good charger with status indicator there is a minor risk that your flashlight will explode in your hand ;) Fenix TK75 has a safety feature so such a drastic scenario is rather minimal. It steps down from turbo and after some time it goes to medium when voltage is lower. This is safe checkpoint to load unprotected cells with no risk of explosion. I know a lot of people using unprotected cells with powerful lights and luckily no accidents so far.

So is it possible to damage good quality cells in high quality flashlight previously loaded in i4V2 charger ?
I use them always together in the same flashlight and load them also in the same time. Still a danger ?

moozooh

Enlightened
There is inherent danger in using any lithium-based battery. Then again, I suppose you aren't afraid of using your cellphone or laptop despite them using the same chemistry (in that respect at least). If you're using protected batteries from a reputable manufacturer, there's nothing you should be particularly wary of short of drowning or overheating them. You can't be 100% sure of everything working fine, of course, but then the same thing can be said about anything.

Protection circuit will disable the negative terminal if it detects overcharge, overdischarge, too high a load, or a short circuit. All of these things you need to take care of yourself it it's unprotected. That's pretty much it. I never buy unprotected cells because of it—I don't like the idea of something accidentally short-circuiting them, or my charger failing and having one of them explode, or me failing to notice something crucial. I'm using i4 myself and it's pretty great, btw.

Last edited:

Latest posts