4000+ Lumen Test & BridgeLux LED Review

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Re: .·´¯`·-> !! 4000+ Lumen Test & BridgeLux LED Review!! <-·´¯`·.

Very nice testing although I have a few questions/comments about your peltier setup:

1) First off, that heat sink is way too small for a 40mm peltier, even if it's one of the 3 amp ones. If you're going to use a microprocessor heatsink, then the ones for the P4 or the recent multicore processors work best.

2) Did you raise the heat sink so that the fan can still suck in air to cool the heat sink?

3) What is the maximum current rating of your peltier?

4) What was the current you were actually running it at? This is important because the way to get the most cooling from a given peltier/heatsink arrangement is to increase the current in small intervals, wait until the cold side temperature stabilizes (can take 10 minutes or more), increase current again, measure temperature, etc. You stop when the temperature starts increasing, and drop the current back to the previous increment. For an 8.5A peltier running with one of my P4 heatsinks I found that 5.8 amps is the maximum. At that current the temperature of the cold plate, when well insulated, stabilizes at around 48° to 51° C under room temperature. This is usually -30°C, give or take a few degrees, depending upon the temperature in my workshop.

5) You really should have had an aluminum plate on the cold side of the peltier so that all of the thermocouples would be cooling the LED. And it should have been bolted to the heatsink with stainless steel screws and fiber insulating washers, sandwiching the peltier in between the plate and the heatsink. See here (scroll to bottom). Unless mounted properly, you'll get poor performance from peltiers.

Don't mean to be overly critical but I made these comments because it seems like the temperature of the LED shouldn't have gone as high as it did. In fact, just mounting the LED on a decent air-cooled P4 heatsink without a peltier it should have gone no higher than about 40° to 45°C. Temps with a peltier might be better or worse depending upon the peltier's rating. In general if you're cooling a load of ~77 watts like that LED then you'll need a peltier with Qmax of at least twice that. Just for reference Qmax of a typical 8.5 amp peltier is around 70 to 75 watts.

Last edited:

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened

Very nice testing although I have a few questions/comments about your peltier setup:
1) First off, that heat sink is way too small for a 40mm peltier, even if it's one of the 3 amp ones. If you're going to use a microprocessor heatsink, then the ones for the P4 or the recent multicore processors work best.

That is so off topic... :shakehead
I'm not going to answer in detail to help you hijack my own thread.

I tested many different thermal management techniques for this extreme setup. Nothing about it is inadequate, and you don't have enough information to determine that.

I got case temperatures as low as I possibly could with what I have at my disposal. If that's not good enough for you, then you can open your own thread and we can discuss different Peltier techniques and results there instead of here.

For now.... Please stop hijacking my thread.

I will have to tell Heng (Their CTO) that you like them. :p

That's very cool, Harry! Tell him its not just me that likes them!

And ask him about optic or reflector solutions... we need those!! :twothumbs

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tested many different thermal management techniques for this extreme setup. Nothing about it is inadequate, and you don't have enough information to determine that.

I got case temperatures as low as I possibly could with what I have at my disposal. If that's not good enough for you, then you can open your own thread and we can discuss different Peltier techniques and results there instead of here.

You need to seriously rethink your response and your attitude. jtr was not trying to hijack your thread. He was trying to help you as he has a lot of experience in this area.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Nessus,

JTR, like all of us, is REALLLLY into LED lights and testing. Maybe he is even a bit more than the rest of us.

I will admit that his post had a lot of questions, but you should actually be happy that all of us are so interesting in what you are doing, and how to drive those babies even harder and cooler. :grin2:

I have played with LEDs as well (not that bright though) and know well what working around really bright LEDs can do to your vision. It is seriously time to invest in sunglasses or better.

BTW, in case I didn't say so, really nice work - thanks for posting it.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

Fine! Goodbye! And just for the record I think you more or less have a nice setup but I was only trying to help you refine things a bit. But if you would rather not have my help, that's fine. I won't help people who aren't interested.

Last edited:

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened

I will take a moment and think about that before responding. The last thing we need here is any further negativity.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Those are amazing. I've purchased from Newark before; this might inspire me to pick up their catalog again. Thanks for all the info and tests!
:goodjob:

cerberuss

Newly Enlightened

These look good for home lighting... a small chandelier = 8 x 4000lumen :faint:

Greg G

Enlightened

My 2200 lumen version came in today. Newark ships fast.

I put it on a 2" round aluminum *drop* I had with some thermal paste and fired it up. It is very bright. My eyes were screwed for several minutes after looking at it from the side. I took a FiveMega LOP reflector, bored it out to .750", and placed it over the LED. It didn't look too bad. Definitely all flood though.

I then took the lens out of an Acura TL HID projector I have and placed it over the LED. It's a nice smooth flood. This LED might work in this projector housing, maybe. I don't know. I'm going to experiment with it.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will take a moment and think about that before responding. The last thing we need here is any further negativity.
Well it's been several days. I guess maybe you are following the golden rule to not say anything unless you have something good to say? It certainly is better than more of the same but I think you owe jtr an apology. It would be nice to have resolution and have these silly posts taken out of this thread so we can go back to enjoying the good work you did. If such resolution does come about I will be more than happy to remove my posts. :thumbsup:

clint357

Newly Enlightened

So.....how would one go about driving this from a vehicle's 12v power supply?

sami_voodoo

Newly Enlightened

I think the Taskled CCHIPO might work. They are unavailable at the time being though.

clint357

Newly Enlightened

I think I could actually use the HIPCC and drive at 2.8A with a Vout of around 11v. How do you configure the output current on the customizable ones?

sami_voodoo

Newly Enlightened

I think I could actually use the HIPCC and drive at 2.8A with a Vout of around 11v. How do you configure the output current on the customizable ones?
Except for the 6-die model, wouldn't you need a boost convertor to run from a 12 volt source? :thinking:

clint357

Newly Enlightened

Except for the 6-die model, wouldn't you need a boost convertor to run from a 12 volt source? :thinking:

I don't know, if you put 2.8A to the dies at 11v with an input of around 13V, I don't know why you would need a boost? I guess I don't know exactly how those IC's work though. Is my math correct?

Illum

Flashaholic
Re: .·´¯`·-> !! BridgeLux LED Review & 4000+ Lumen Test!! <-·´¯`·.

Holy momma.... I think I just peed my pants.

You think?! I just did :eek:

it blew me away that even with a peltier that started the run at 29F the junction immediately goes to 200F... :aaa:

What does the manufacturer recommend to heatsink the LED?

clint357

Newly Enlightened

If someone can tell me the best way to drive 2 of these c2000's, I'll but a setup and make some auxilary vehicle lights.

sami_voodoo

Newly Enlightened

I don't know, if you put 2.8A to the dies at 11v with an input of around 13V, I don't know why you would need a boost? I guess I don't know exactly how those IC's work though. Is my math correct?

Original post:

6 die - 440 Lumens @ 600ma 9.8Vf - $12
12 die - 880 Lumens @ 1300ma 13.0Vf - $20
16 die - 1320 Lumens @ 1600ma 13.2Vf - $26
25 die - 2200 Lumens @ 1750ma 16.6Vf - $40 -- My Favorite!!!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2891044&postcount=1

Except for the smallest model, you need a boost convertor IMHO.

snarfer

Enlightened

Except for the smallest model, you need a boost convertor IMHO.

I think a buck/boost would be preferable for a 12 volt supply, otherwise you might not be able to dim them down much. Also a boost driver like the CCHIPO would probably not be able to turn the LEDs completely off unless you added an additional FET for the return.

Latest posts