4000+ Lumen Test & BridgeLux LED Review

clint357

Newly Enlightened
Re: .·´¯`·-> !! 4000+ Lumen Test & BridgeLux LED Review!! <-·´¯`·.

How do you set the output current on the CCHIPO for 1.75A, will it adjust that high or do you have to mod it? Also, would this be safe to encapsulate in a thermally conductive, non-electrically conductive, potting epoxy as long as the heatsink is sticking out? I wonder because this would be put in an offroad vehicle somewhere and would probably be submerged at some point.

Last edited:

clint357

Newly Enlightened

I think a buck/boost would be preferable for a 12 volt supply, otherwise you might not be able to dim them down much. Also a boost driver like the CCHIPO would probably not be able to turn the LEDs completely off unless you added an additional FET for the return.

Couldn't I just run a switch on the positive lead of the CCHIPO to turn it off?

sami_voodoo

Newly Enlightened

Instead of encapsulating it in Epoxy or some Resin, why not a sealed aluminium box? That way you can set the current later if you wish, and you can thermally link the heatsink with the box. And from what I can read on the site, you'll have connections for an external pot to change the LED drive current.

clint357

Newly Enlightened

Instead of encapsulating it in Epoxy or some Resin, why not a sealed aluminium box? That way you can set the current later if you wish, and you can thermally link the heatsink with the box. And from what I can read on the site, you'll have connections for an external pot to change the LED drive current.

I didn't know if any of the other components got hot enough that the air temp in a sealed box would be too great. As for setting the current, I would set it initially for the c2000 LEDs and never touch it again so I wouldn't care if it was permanently sealed.

sami_voodoo

Newly Enlightened

The best bet would probably to shoot an email to Taskled and ask them about it. That way you'll cover all bases. Or else wait for more the more experienced to voice their thoughts. :popcorn:

clint357

Newly Enlightened

So, does anyone have any ideas on how to get a decent beam out of these things?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hee hee hee. :whistle:

I agree that one frustration with buying leds is that most suppliers forget the led is useless without lens/reflector and driver. They need to be one stop shopping, for at least one or two basic/typical setups.

Also, if the forward voltage were better matched a bit below easily attainable battery configurations, you wouldn't need a driver, perhaps only a pot.

(Easily attainable voltages: 3.6 volt, 6 volt with agm, 7.2 volt, 12 volt with agm, 18 volt. typical store bought lion config)

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: .·´¯`·-> !! BridgeLux LED Review & 4000+ Lumen Test!! <-·´¯`·.

it blew me away that even with a peltier that started the run at 29F the junction immediately goes to 200F... :aaa:

What does the manufacturer recommend to heatsink the LED?

Probably one of the usages is for cars' headlamps. So that the entire car is the heatsink.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, does anyone have any ideas on how to get a decent beam out of these things?

8" aspheric? (More realistically... 8" (or even bigger) fresnel lens stack? Maybe rip the fresnels out of a couple or 5 old overhead projectors...)

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I then took the lens out of an Acura TL HID projector I have and placed it over the LED. It's a nice smooth flood. This LED might work in this projector housing, maybe. I don't know. I'm going to experiment with it.

Maybe try putting the LED behind the cutoff shield facing up and positioned near where burner would be. I always thought that a strong enough LED right there could do wonders but don't have the money to try it out.

Hmm, just got another idea too. sit a flat mirror about level with that ledge on the sides of the TL and have the emitter on top of that facing up OR forward

btw, I've never tried LED + projector, I'm just throwing ideas that seem sound in my head. keep in mind it is very possible that somebody replaced my brain with pudding recently...

clint357

Newly Enlightened

8" aspheric? (More realistically... 8" (or even bigger) fresnel lens stack? Maybe rip the fresnels out of a couple or 5 old overhead projectors...)

Could you make a reflector to gather the light into an aspheric lens? Just use the design of the P7 reflector and lens but scaled up.

Greg G

Enlightened

Maybe try putting the LED behind the cutoff shield facing up and positioned near where burner would be. I always thought that a strong enough LED right there could do wonders but don't have the money to try it out.

Hmm, just got another idea too. sit a flat mirror about level with that ledge on the sides of the TL and have the emitter on top of that facing up OR forward

btw, I've never tried LED + projector, I'm just throwing ideas that seem sound in my head. keep in mind it is very possible that somebody replaced my brain with pudding recently...

Keep the ideas coming. I am open to all suggestions. I hope to find time soon to sit down and do some beamshots. First with the original HID bulb, then with the LED. I went to Fry's electronics Sunday and looked at computer cooling systems for chips. I found a couple that will probably work, maybe, depending on how much current I feed the LED.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

For a test probe, you could use a straight heatpipe or bar of copper and solder an xre to it, poke it into the projector and try to find that sweet spot

The TL is a very interesting part. I kind of want to think that the bottom part of the bowl behind the cutoff shield is there to reflect light back to the top part of the bowl to reflect out. I wish I could find some light ray simulation diagrams for any automotive projectors. It would help me understand them so much better.

I'm excited to see how this turns out.

clint357

Newly Enlightened

I'm going to go buy a concave and convex lense to see what I can do with a P7 just for fun, but I'll let you know if it's worth toying with.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could you make a reflector to gather the light into an aspheric lens? Just use the design of the P7 reflector and lens but scaled up.
Really, you want an elliptical reflector for most reflector/lens designs, and I don't know of any lights that use that.

But the critical thing here is that whatever you use, it must be large diameter to get a narrow beam from the large emitter area. And fresnel lenses can get large without getting heavy, unlike good reflectors or aspheric lenses.

So to me, a fresnel lens (or a stack of them) in a bulky, but lightweight, housing (possibly even a converted projector body) with a fan-cooled heatsink could be your best shot at a decently-tight spotlight, although it wouldn't be a real throw king -- nothing like an HID or even halogen spotlight with the same diameter reflector.

If you want a flood beam, then you could try various reflector and aspheric combos in the Mag to 6V lantern size range.

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Really, you want an elliptical lens for most reflector/lens designs, and I don't know of any lights that use that.

Well, there actually is one but it is not widely available - my CR2 based Breeze light. For those contemplating constructing this, it is a royal ____ and expensive to pull off.

I got the idea from the headlights of a BMW I used to own.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also, if the forward voltage were better matched a bit below easily attainable battery configurations, you wouldn't need a driver, perhaps only a pot.

Man, do I hear that. It's obvious that LED makers are assuming they only need supply OEM'ers who have an engineering staff that does nothing all day but design custom power supplies from chinese parts. They might be surprised at the applause if they had a LED config, or multiples of LEDs, that could use...lets say...a standardized 12-volt or 6-volt. 12-volt would also accomodate the fixed lighting crowd where it's been a standard for decades.

As for lenses....feh.....If I want to diffuse one of these big muthas....I'll simply bounce it off of a white painted panel or glass. Paint the panel with chrome paint and and you get a more specular/directional source. I'm working on some cool lamp ideas based on this principle.

For flashlights or narrow flood, what you might want to try is take PAR 30 or PAR 40 narrow angle Halogen bulbs , pry the front cover off either with a razor or flame or both, rip the bulb out of the middle with a pair of needle-nose, and you have a decent reflector albeit heavy reflector.

Discount department stores almost always have close-out halogen hand torches for $10.00 or so. That big old reflector is just begging to have the bi-pin halogen removed and re-mounted with that 2000lumen Bridgelux. :huh:

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened

What are intended applications for these? They seem like they'd work well in a projector or something, with a lens of course. Those projector light bulbs are so expensive, it would be nice not having to replace them...

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast

What are intended applications for these? They seem like they'd work well in a projector or something, with a lens of course. Those projector light bulbs are so expensive, it would be nice not having to replace them...

I don't think these would do well for projection -- I'd think any projector bulb with a filament or arc that big would be even higher-output, so it'd be too dim with these. They're probably intended for automotive or general-purpose lighting, where you don't need a tight focus.