9 weeks to pump out New Orleans???

HWilliam

Newly Enlightened
The locals botched it, not the federal government

That "F" in FEMA used to stand for "Federal" before they changed it to "Feeble".

Yes, the locals botched. And so did everyone up the ladder right to the top.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 9weeks to pump out the water. How many more weeks would FEMA be able to resconstruct New Orleans?

I think the whole city will be a ghost town in 9weeks. Alot of people will abandon the city just like the movie, Resident Evil II. :faint: :faint:

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
If some even thinks of rebuilding NO, Exactly who is supposed to pay for it?

Is any sane business going to go back there? How long before it's destroyed again? That whole gulf coast is a total loss, no win situation.:wow:
Refugees better find a new life.:sick2:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have avoided saying anything here because I am many miles away here in California and there is really not a lot that I can add--However...

It will probably be 3+ years of work to get the levees sound and some sort of stable infrastructure in New Orleans (time will probably be inversely proportional to money available) before people can safely work/rebuild/live there--you are probably right in your harsh assessment that much of the area (under current circumstances) ought not to be rebuilt as the problems (loss of elevation, loss of marshes, loss of barrier islands) have yet to be addressed—and we maybe going into another cycle of violent weather which will last several decades (if recent history is an accurate precursor).

On the other side of the ledger, the US as a whole has probably done much to damage the local environment due to pumping/oil/gas extraction (lowering the land), ship channels/levees causing the river to scour sediment from barrier islands/marshes and causing them to recede, past encouragement of building in flood planes with flood insurance/dikes, short memories by everyone of past weather disasters, long-term government assistance that make it difficult for them to be come independent of government support, growing US population, etc... All of which has helped make the area and the people more vulnerable.

The good side is that people devastated in the area, whom are self motivated, will probably work their butts off for the next ten years (or more), no matter what eventually is decided, and they will (for the most part) recover.

The downside is that the poor in the area will probably remain poor (and vulnerable) no matter what is eventually decided as nobody in power really cares (or really has the power to change those folks lives).

And our governments will waste tremendous amounts of the people's money—creating both good and bad, while some folks will get rich while (legally and illegally) siphoning the cash stream. And local corruption will not get any better.

Do I have any answers—No, not yet. But I do believe that we owe the folks of the gulf coasts a little bit of sympathy, understanding, and material support.

There But for the Grace of God go I…

God Bless

-Bill

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I'm another Californian without direct involvement in the south, but I beleive that when it comes to rebuilding there may be a parallel in what happened in Galveston Tx in 1900.

Galveston was a major port and very important city in 1900. It was wiped out by a hurricane. The History cahnnel had a whole show titled "Issac's Storm" devoted to it. I read in Scientific american that it took 5 years to create a 17 foot tall sea wall to protect it in the future, and they also raised the grade of the whole island some where around 10 feet.

Even so, Galveston never regained it's prominance. Houston became the commercial hub of the area and Galveston eventually became a resort town.

I could see a resonable argument being made for rebuilding N.O. in a different location, higher and further from the shore. I can also see the area failing to recover for a long, long time.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
They just said 30-80 days to pump everything out last night. They have fixed the levy and are starting to pump already I think.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
heh, they have plugged the levee, thats a far cry from "fixing" the levee which will probably require building earth dams around it and pumping it down to rebuild the foundations.

As to who will pay for it, I would encourage you to visit the FEMA website and look up their charter bill. It spends probably 75% of it's text talking about how cost is divided up between the fed and the local government. If the state is willing to come up with their percentage then the fed will almost certainly cough up the bulk of the cash for infrastructure and low or no interest loans for individual people to rebuild. FEMA is mostly concerned with cleanup and debris removal in the short term. If the local government doesn't want to come up with their 6 or 8 percent or whatever the number turns out to be, then there will be no federal money.

The place probably can be rebuilt if the levees and other systems are brought up to a better quality. But I'm not sure who will be left there to live in it. I'm meeting more and more people around Georgia that are relocating here though, and not planning to go back. My daughters school has taken in 2 or 3 students in every grade that have relocated and I know that many other schools in the area report the same or more. We concentrated on the relatively small number of people trapped in the city on the news, but a much larger number of people did actually leave, and they are starting to settle elsewhere.

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
turbodog said:
I have a lot of pictures from the gulf if someone can host them.

You can get a free account on flickr.com and they allow direct linking to the pictures. So far no ads. The free account has limits but if you let the application resize the photos to reduce their size and you should be able to load lots. They support drag and drop uploading of pics. Very cool.

I've got mine posted there as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieseladdict

Chris

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Lynx_Arc said:
They just said 30-80 days to pump everything out last night. They have fixed the levy and are starting to pump already I think.

I don't know exactly what kind of Lake "Ponchatrain" was...

But pumping THAT mess out into it can NOT be good.

YUCK!

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just another FYI, with no additional opinionated comment from me:

The Stafford Act (§401) requires that: "All requests for a declaration by the President that a major disaster exists shall be made by the Governor of the affected State." A State also includes the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. The Marshall Islands and the Federated States of Micronesia are also eligible to request a declaration and receive assistance.

The Governor's request is made through the regional FEMA/EPR office. State and Federal officials conduct a preliminary damage assessment (PDA) to estimate the extent of the disaster and its impact on individuals and public facilities. This information is included in the Governor's request to show that the disaster is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and the local governments and that Federal assistance is necessary. Normally, the PDA is completed prior to the submission of the Governor's request. However, when an obviously severe or catastrophic event occurs, the Governor's request may be submitted prior to the PDA. Nonetheless, the Governor must still make the request.

As part of the request, the Governor must take appropriate action under State law and direct execution of the State's emergency plan. The Governor shall furnish information on the nature and amount of State and local resources that have been or will be committed to alleviating the results of the disaster, provide an estimate of the amount and severity of damage and the impact on the private and public sector, and provide an estimate of the type and amount of assistance needed under the Stafford Act. In addition, the Governor will need to certify that, for the current disaster, State and local government obligations and expenditures (of which State commitments must be a significant proportion) will comply with all applicable cost-sharing requirements.

Based on the Governor's request, the President may declare that a major disaster or emergency exists, thus activating an array of Federal programs to assist in the response and recovery effort."

This information is from the FEMA WEBSITE and is free of COPYRIGHT . If an Admin wants me to excerpt it to Copyright allowances anyway, just let me know

Last edited:

HWilliam

Newly Enlightened
"Nonetheless, the Governor must still make the request."

So, if the Governor of a state dies along with the entire line of succession, or communications are completely disrupted, there's no way for the Feds to do anything at all, and they'd just have to stand at the borders and watch.

Let's get real. In any and all emergencies, people with any sense and courage at all break rules that get in the way and get things done. That's the difference between a (potential) "hero" and a "bureaucrat".