A flashlight brand you can REALLY trust ?

These guys REALLY make amazing stuff

• Total voters

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff should really be in that poll.

I'm pretty new to the high performance flashlight world myself, but it's plain to see that Malkoff lights are very simple and solid.
For just plain all around reliable light I don't see how a Malkoff M31 head in a Malkoff Little Twisty 2 AA body could be much improved upon.

Last edited:

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
Anything from Malkoff, HDS. or Zebralight:

I have one, only EagleTac, a D25LC2 Mini. with an XP-G S2 emitter which is very well made, has a fantastic beam, tint, size, silky smooth Twisty action and is perfect as an EDC. The output is outstanding: One, only EagleTac but it wont be the last - I have heard very positive comments regarding 'Dark Sucks' and his Flashlights; he is top of my hit list, maybe even his Hi-CRI in the gorgeous bead-blast and polish finish!

Good Luck.

ARA

Enlightened
As mentioned by posters above alot of reliable brands missing such as HDS and Malkoff. Though out of the choices given i'd pick a surefire any day. I'm sure the other brands are good value as well but for serious tasks such as weapons lights i'd only pick Surefire.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about HDS and Malkoff? Those 2 and Surefire would be my picks. I consider them all #1!

cummins4x4

Enlightened
For 30 years I have used Surefire and Maglite, still have most of them, ALL of them still work. TBS I currently have Sunwayman, Olight, Deree and UF with a Solarforce inbound. Very impressed with all of them but the SWM stands out as far as build quality. Will they all be working in 30 years, hope I am around to find out.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I trust anything from Malkoff.
Elzetta (they really just make super durable hosts for Malkoffs).
Surefire would make the list for the majority of their products.
HDS Clicky.

TomH

Newly Enlightened
You should have also included Streamlight on your list. Sure, their lights aren't very exciting to most CPF members, but they tend to be rock solid reliable lights you can depend on to work when you need them to.

fyrstormer

Banned
Your scenario is too vague. Only a few brands are reliable enough to take into a combat situation, whereas pretty much all of them are reliable enough to stick in your pocket when you go to work in the morning.

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
I voted for Surefire but I also have had excellent results with Mag-lite, Streamlight and my Blackhawk Gladius (the switch is the weakest point). I own other brands but have abused these the most.

hemdale

Newly Enlightened
Sorry guys if my list was a bit too restrictive, obviously, I was not considering a combat context but rather referring to some of the best reputable flashlight makes.
Thanks for the additional brands you've given me.

For the moment, I'm kind of considering a Surefire, Eagle Tax and Fenix... but still a bit :shrug:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm definitely a Fenix fan and never had a single problem with them. I only have one Surefire, but I would trust them with my life.

Another brand I would add even though they are very recent: ArmyTek. I have 2 Predators and that would be THE flashlight I would trust my life with if I had to.

spe672

Newly Enlightened
I carried an HDS EDC Ultimate for about 5 years and it one day disappeared. It's been gone 1.5 years now and I'm still mourning. :(

I just bought two 4Sevens lights and have been very impressed. They have so many to choose from, but I found the Quark 123 Tactical and Quark X 123^2 Tactical to be great for EDC and fantastic brightness.

I've been disappointed in Maglite and Surefire for many years now. Maglite has had the same design forever and has gotten into LEDs way late in the game. Their brightness is amazingly dim compared to many new lights out there. Surefire is a fantastic light too, but they too seem to be resting on their laurels(I own two surefire L4s and they ware great in 2004, just not as impressive today). A coworker just bought a 6P and was showing it off a few days ago. He was sad to see that his brand new light is half the brightness of the one CR123 4Sevens I just bought.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say one or two of those have a light or more better in some way than the brands listed, but certainly not all-around better. Ra has "a" very good light in a few different versions. The rest I would only buy one of for a specific specialized use. Except Mag, which makes hosts good for larger lights. I think he listed a good list.
Hold your breath...

Polarion
Pila
Heliotek
Elektrolumens
Wolf-Eyes
Ra
OMG Lumens
Lumens Factory
WiseLED
Parat
Mag (great hosts)
EagleTac
and many more...

Quiksilver

Enlightened
The verdict is in:

If you want utter reliability, go for HDS Systems, Malkoff Devices and 'most' SureFire lights.