A reminder to never lend out lights...

yifu

Enlightened
I will never lend anyone my EDC. Why? Because a bored Z2 with a Kenji Quad costs 400 dollars, and since it's a custom, it means i can't buy another should someone lose it. I do sometimes carry a backup in my bag in which case i could loan out.

Jroddz

Newly Enlightened
I would have said, "sure, give me $xxx dollars as collateral, if the light comes back with nary a scratch, you bought it."

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lend things to my good friends. However, in the case given by the OP I would not loan such a light after the experiences he had.
But, when the rubber meets the road I might rather loan a cheapie like those available. On ebay for example there is a AA light that is $1.99 incl shipping. I would probably buy two or three of those and keep in my desk for loaners if really needed.
Jerry

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately your co-worker put you in a no win situation. Definitely get a cheap loaner light to lend out to people. It is as if they expect it. Some people just never get it. They have no respect for themselves or others. Or their property. Did he buy you a new diffuser at least? If not, I would let everyone know that he broke it and did not replace it. Replacing it is just common courtesy.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I don't tend to have any lights that break that easily.....but I do worry about getting things back under some circumstances. The problem stems from other people not seeing the light as valuable..its just a flashlight...why the big deal?

If I know the person well enough that I would lend them the light even if i never saw it again...fine.

If I don't know the person well enough...well, then they don't know I HAVE a light. :D

Sometimes I'll just "Help them find the_________", so I am using the light.

I lost a total of one light, an HID I loaned to a coworker, and it was stolen from their truck...on an inspection job, by people who had a vested interest in interferring with the inspection. They broke his window to take it. Apparently it worked well enough to scare them that he would find MORE things wrong at their site the next day (There was a lot wrong the first and second days, and he had asked to borrow the HID for the second day due to the size of the areas involved, etc...and the HID had freeked them out on the second day)

The cameras in the parking lot there did come in handy at least....nailing the bass turds to the wall on that one.....but we never got the light back.

He offered to replace it, I told him it was ok...use the $ to get the window fixed, etc.

When my birthday came around, he got me a new HID.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Avoid ****-ups.
We all know the type.
Anything that they have anything to do with,
no matter how good it sounds,
turns into a disaster.
Do not offer sympathy to the mentally ill.
Tell them firmly:
I am not paid to listen to this drivel,
you are a terminal boob."

-William S. Burroughs "Advice to Young People"

http://www.jjjwebdevelopment.com/306sites/burroughs/burroughs.shtml

Sorry a boob broke yer light.

jimbo@stn23

Newly Enlightened
That's really strange...I mean if anyone borrowed something from me and lost/broke it they would automatically ask me how much was it and either refund me the cash or buy a new one and give it to me.
Heck, I'd do the same.
It's the 'culture' here. Isn't it just bad manners to not do anything when you lost or damaged someone else's property?

That's the way I've been brought up. I just have a tough time understanding anything less although I know (first hand) otherwise. I lent out a locknut socket for Spicer differentials, once. The third guy that got it had the decency to try and clean up where the other two "mechanics" chewed up the engagement lugs. The first fellow thought it was OK to lend to a second who thought it was OK to lend to a third guy. :shakehead Still looked like I lent it to a 6 year old with no clue how to use tools. Took alot of time with files to make it look like it should.

And yes, it's terribly poor manners to not take care of others gear as if it were your own. There's only a very select few that get to use my tools, about 3 or 5 is all. I've also learned how to be brutally blunt to anyone other than those few.

Last edited:

mbw_151

Enlightened
What better purpose for a couple of MiniMag LEDs than "loaners"? Lend a reasonable quality $20 light, keep HDS with Milky upgrades in pocket. It's a plan that works for me.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
That's really strange...I mean if anyone borrowed something from me and lost/broke it they would automatically ask me how much was it and either refund me the cash or buy a new one and give it to me.
Heck, I'd do the same.
It's the 'culture' here. Isn't it just bad manners to not do anything when you lost or damaged someone else's property?
I have a few friends and 2 coworkers I'll lend any light to in a second. They know the value, and treat the light accordingly.

Once a good friend borrowed one of my lights, and I got a call from him the next day: "Where do they sell these Fenix flashlights?"
At first I thought he wanted to buy one for himself, but it turned out he lost my LD10 I lend him the other day. I found out later that day when he handed a brand new boxed LD10 to me: "I lost the one you lend me, so I bought a new one for you."
No questions asked, he just bought a new light for me when he lost the original one. That's why I'll still lend him any light again if he needs it.

He actually found that LD10 a few months later in his couch. He simply told me with a grin: "I payed for a flashlight last summer, and now I finally got it." After I looked at him wondering what he was talking about he showed me that LD10. We both just laughed. :)

As for the casual 'Can I borrow one of your lights?' question: I got an Olight I2 EOS I could lend them, but only after I made it clear they'll have to replace it when they lose or break it.
I don't tend to have any lights that break that easily.....but I do worry about getting things back under some circumstances. The problem stems from other people not seeing the light as valuable..its just a flashlight...why the big deal?

If I know the person well enough that I would lend them the light even if i never saw it again...fine.

If I don't know the person well enough...well, then they don't know I HAVE a light.
biggrin.gif

Sometimes I'll just "Help them find the_________", so I am using the light.

I lost a total of one light, an HID I loaned to a coworker, and it was stolen from their truck...on an inspection job, by people who had a vested interest in interferring with the inspection. They broke his window to take it. Apparently it worked well enough to scare them that he would find MORE things wrong at their site the next day (There was a lot wrong the first and second days, and he had asked to borrow the HID for the second day due to the size of the areas involved, etc...and the HID had freeked them out on the second day)

The cameras in the parking lot there did come in handy at least....nailing the bass turds to the wall on that one.....but we never got the light back.

He offered to replace it, I told him it was ok...use the $ to get the window fixed, etc.

When my birthday came around, he got me a new HID.
Just thought these three were worth reading again.

Too many people now days want to explain why they won't help others out. Rather than let the worst people determine how we should act, it's better to follow the best among us when determining how to treat others.

Love the LD10 and HID stories and that is how you find out who your actual friends are.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
One of the benefits of carrying a McGizmo: you can loan it to someone without any fear of it being damaged, AND you can say "please be careful with it, it cost four hundred dollars."

fyrstormer

Banned
Next time tell him to give you $80 first as a fully refundable loaners fee first. And tell him if it returns with marks or damage you will be deducting an appropriate amount... If he gives you the light back in one piece there's no problem. Otherwise he just bought himself a broken $80 light ;)
Taking a security deposit on loaning someone a flashlight. :crackup: Just buy one made of titanium and never worry about it again. Mac's Tri-EDC is just as affordable as a few easier-to-break aluminum lights.

aephilli

Newly Enlightened
good idea not to lend out our good lights but only spare ones. XXXFire, rayovac indestructible, ..
i like your contributions to cpf. always worth the reading.

Now I KNOW I need to stay in the "budget" forum, 2xAA Indestructable IS my "good" light.:huh:

fyrstormer

Banned
I normally have some keychain coin cell lights that I would lend. If someone really needs a light for something important they might get a Fenix E01. If it is that important I would actually offer to go help them with only me handling my better lights. Same principle as if someone needs to use one of (my UK legal) edc penknives or multi-tool. I will use it for them so they don't damage it, misuse it or cut themselves.
If someone cuts themselves using your pen knife improperly, they got what they had coming to them. Not seeing the problem with that scenario.

Harry999

Enlightened
fyrstormer,

I agree with you, sir! However, remember I am in the UK where there is enough fear of weapons. I am surprised people aren't legally banned from using knives and forks and forced to use sporks - plastic ones at that. :)

Even a simple tool such as say a Swiss Army Knife Solo Alox Pioneer 1 which is a non locking 2.5" bladed slip joint can frighten some people over here. If they cut themselves it would not be long before they would be moaning about it and I would have the reputation of someone who carries a weapon. Seems silly but those are the facts of it. I work in an office environment so it would not do my career progression any good to be considered a weapon carrying nut! :shakehead

Edit: Actually I just realised people probably consider me to be a flashlight carrying nut. Not sure how good that is for the career...

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Is the UK really that obsessed with the possible criminal uses of everyday objects? Better not tell them what can be done with a cricket bat if they're worried about Swiss Army knives.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy helping people, whether that means giving away tools (IE knives, flashlights, multitools) or lending them to someone in need. I have friends and acquaintances who aren't the most responsible people in the world, but I still lend tools to them, but typically not the more expensive stuff. I don't buy cheaply built lights that are easily broken except for inexpensive beater lights/knives, so I'm not worried so much about my flashlights getting broken.

Siliconti

Newly Enlightened
I agree that the OP was put up against a wall - what are you going to do when this guy is bad-mouthing you over a flashlight - keeping in mind the average person thinks a flashlight is $5 at WalMart? They are like "what is the issue?", when the OP is thinking "hey, this is an expensive, beloved flashlight".

I only told one person how much my M6 costs, and they still do not believe me to this day - the average person can not wrap their brains around it.

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
I work at a warehouse at night that doesn't have anything power/lights as it is being renovated. A couple times people that came to the site at night to look for something they forgot in the day. They would ask "Could I borrow your light?" Fortunately, I had my 2 cell Maglite with me. I would never lend my Surefire under any circumstances. I now use a Nitecore Tiny Monster as my primary light and as backup a Thrunite TN11. None will leave my possession still and I have a freebie coin battery key chain light from Lighthound I can lend anytime :D.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad once gave me a knife, and I only loaned it to someone at work once, with disclaimers and strongly worded warnings. I caught them using it as a screwdriver not ten seconds later. It was particularly egregious because I was also carrying a screwdriver at the time, and the edge is still not back where it was before that, even though I had it sharpened by Randall Knives.

cummins4x4

Enlightened
My theory, want to borrow a power tool, not likely, a knife, give them a box cutter, a firearm, not a chance in hell, a flashlight, sure, here is one of my loaners.