A reminder to never lend out lights...

fyrstormer

Banned
Ya LoJac for your light, an awsome concept. Probably possible modifying one of those USB programmable lights:drool: I actually suggested a dongle in another thread, light will only operate within 6 feet of , LOL.
GL
No need for anything that complicated. Just attach an extendable dog leash to the light before you loan it to someone, and hold onto the leash reel. If they complain, suggest that they can find someone else to borrow a light from instead.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I actually suggested a dongle in another thread, light will only operate within 6 feet
No need for anything that complicated. Just attach an extendable dog leash to the light before you loan it to someone, and hold onto the leash reel. If they complain, suggest that they can find someone else to borrow a light from instead.
I love both of them but the ball & chain works well too. LOL

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Attach one of these to the torch, it'll come back
I would think that if you had one of those dogtoys attached to it, they wouldn't even ask to borrow it in the first place. You have my vote for how to deter a would be borrower from asking. A good theft deterent as well, You can pocket my light, just don't try that with it's lanyard...

DM51

Flashaholic
There are key-fob size Bluetooth locator tags on the market that you can attach to bags and other items to help prevent them being moved/stolen. When the item is moved more than a set distance away from your cell-phone, an alarm sounds on the tag and the phone. It's a neat idea, worth considering for anything you value really highly...

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are key-fob size Bluetooth locator tags on the market that you can attach to bags and other items to help prevent them being moved/stolen. When the item is moved more than a set distance away from your cell-phone, an alarm sounds on the tag and the phone. It's a neat idea, worth considering for anything you value really highly...
+1
There are some uTube videos showing these types of devices in action.
One of my favorites is one using software that allows you to track your stolen phone from your computer.
Now we just need tiny GPS's implanted into our lights ... and we could track them by phone/computer.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
+1
One of my favorites is one using software that allows you to track your stolen phone from your computer.
Now we just need tiny GPS's implanted into our lights ... and we could track them by phone/computer.
I'd love to have had them in my lost Draco and Clicky!
Now that's a bright idea!
:ohgeez:................ :crackup:

brianna

Enlightened
I made it to 50 yrs old a couple months ago and realized years ago it really doesn't matter what others think. I also hate when people try to take advantage of my good nature.

Words of wisdom I live by now. Only wish I learned this when I was 12yrs old.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Reading some of these stories makes be cringe and also serves as a reminder for me to not loan out my lights. The last time I did that was 7 years ago and I haven't done it since: I brought an HDS U60 with me while camping with friends, one my friends noticed the multi-levels and asked if he could see the light, I gave it to him, he then stood up, walked into the woods as he was "answering the call of nature":toilet:... He did his business, walked back to the camp site, then placed my light onto a picnic bench that he was walking by. :confused::mad::banghead:

I watched as he did this and as he walked right by me without saying a single word or even giving me back my light. I was astounded. Needless to say, I picked up my light, went to the river to rinse it off :eeew: and ... decided then and there that I would never, ever again loan out any of my lights to anyone. Unfortunately, out of necessity, sometimes you need to ensure someone else in your group has some light so I have an older light - I don't mind losing - that I bring with me as a loaner.

Illum

Flashaholic
Let someone borrow your gun and you'll wind up getting shot in the back. For me though, loaning out my L4 to a classmate only resulted in him constantly shining it in my face... I now use a Fenix P1 w/ SSC CRI in public, if it gets lost, oh well... but in the mean time it can't be used to blind anyone

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just got my H51Fc returned to me after lending it out for 2 months+, came back in perfect condition with all of the Eneloops in their little battery holder. Makes a difference who you lend to, my friend would have returned it any time I asked for it back and would have promptly replaced it had it been damaged.
Nice to have the little sucker back though.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Well I just got my H51Fc returned to me after lending it out for 2 months+, came back in perfect condition with all of the Eneloops in their little battery holder. Makes a difference who you lend to, my friend would have returned it any time I asked for it back and would have promptly replaced it had it been damaged.
Nice to have the little sucker back though.
The best lesson to learn from this thread is not as the title suggests, never trusting anyone, but learning how to choose who to trust and how better to pick friends! :)

Burgess

Flashaholic
It's really kinda' funny . . . .

The only person I would lend my light to, would be a fellow Flashaholic.

-- however --

a Flashaholic would probably Never Need to borrow my flashlight.

:whistle:
_

RGB_LED

Enlightened
It's really kinda' funny . . . .
The only person I would lend my light to, would be a fellow Flashaholic.
-- however --
a Flashaholic would probably Never Need to borrow my flashlight.
rolleye11.gif

_
Sadly, not always the case. I had one former, fellow Flashoholic who asked to borrow my SF 6P w/ M60 light to check out. Never again will I loan out lights even to a Flashoholic.

Let someone borrow your gun and you'll wind up getting shot in the back. For me though, loaning out my L4 to a classmate only resulted in him constantly shining it in my face...
That's the one thing that I don't understand about people and lights... I had this happen a few times and I even remember letting the aforementioned flashoholic check out my SF and the first thing he did was shine the light in my face. :scowl: I always turn the light away whenever I hand over a light for someone to use briefly or I hand it over bezel down, then tell them how to turn it on. To me, it's like a gun, you never point it at someone's face! It boggles my mind what people do...

Last edited:

bstrickler

Enlightened
Let someone borrow your gun and you'll wind up getting shot in the back. For me though, loaning out my L4 to a classmate only resulted in him constantly shining it in my face

Luckily for me, but badly for my friend, he ends up putting on sunglasses now, any time I get a new light. Then he proceeds to shine it into his own eyes, even after I shine it at the ground.

He better not be stupid enough to do that with my 656 hotwire, otherwise he's going to melt his face off, lol.

r-ice

Newly Enlightened
+1

Lol doesn't help when it is at the bottom of the lake.