A reminder to never lend out lights...

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading the comments I continue to have the attitude that friends and co-workers are more important than my tools and flashlights. If I had a friend or co-worker who did not take care of the things lent, I would loan the beater stuff. When I can buy a flashlight on ebay that is less than $2 shipped I would buy those for loaners. It would also help if I did not flash my $100 flashlight (Which I don't own).
Jerry

budynabuick

Enlightened
I open my suit jacket and there are a number of flashlights attached with price labels. I then offer to sell them one!!! :)

I had too laugh at that. But this thread is about so much more than a lost flashlight. It is about the human condition as well and I am encouraged by the comments from Malaysia to the USA and points in between. +++123:thumbsup:

Keith- who realizes this forum is about much more than flashlights

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
Fortunately --

at my advanced age (58 years old),

I no longer give a sh1t *WHAT* people think of me.:whistle:
_

I made it to 50 yrs old a couple months ago and realized years ago it really doesn't matter what others think. I also hate when people try to take advantage of my good nature.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize this is off topic, but I am 79, and I do care about others, and the "salt and light" I can shed on this world.
A few bucks here and there are of no consequence, and if it does meet a need of someone else, then I am thankful I have the resources to do so.

Edit: As the years go by I realize how unimportant "things" are.
Jerry

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
ico said:
He wanted to place dummy cells inside so that the light will intentionaly not work.

And with a LOTC you can make the light not work without having to swap batteries. Easy peasy. ;)

T45

Enlightened
I had too laugh at that. But this thread is about so much more than a lost flashlight. It is about the human condition as well and I am encouraged by the comments from Malaysia to the USA and points in between. +++123:thumbsup:

Keith- who realizes this forum is about much more than flashlights

+1!...this thread just gets better and better lovecpf

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see, I see. :)

Maybe there is a better approach . . .

For that 'person' that needs a reminder to never to ask to borrow my light . . .

shockerlight.jpg

Xacto

Enlightened
Wow, interesting thread. Seems that (other) people and the value they give to others properties are the same all over the globe.

I am glad not to have a co-worker like the one the OP described. I think I would have sent him down in the basement one day WITHOUT a flashlight in the hopes that he will stay down there.... ;-)

But that thread make me think about storing one of my old mini maglites in my desk. Better to lend one of them to anyone than to give out one of my EDC Surefires.

Cheers
Thorsten

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
No I would have flashlights on one side and batteries on the other! :)

Make sure you offer them the merchandise while imitating the voice of the merchant from the Resident Evil 4 game.

"Straaaaanger!" lol

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I frequently lend out lights on photography trips. The only thought I have towards lending them out is "Wouldn't it be fun to add a remote-off switch to these?"

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I frequently lend out lights on photography trips. The only thought I have towards lending them out is "Wouldn't it be fun to add a remote-off switch to these?"
Ya LoJac for your light, an awsome concept. Probably possible modifying one of those USB programmable lights:drool: I actually suggested a dongle in another thread, light will only operate within 6 feet of , LOL.
GL

Kestrel

Flashaholic
That's really strange...I mean if anyone borrowed something from me and lost/broke it they would automatically ask me how much was it and either refund me the cash or buy a new one and give it to me.
Heck, I'd do the same.
It's the 'culture' here. Isn't it just bad manners to not do anything when you lost or damaged someone else's property?

Agree with the above. I've lent out many of my high performance lights over the years, zero issues, SureFire - Malkoff - Milky, etc. (The Moddoo triples haven't been needed yet, lol). What helps out immeasurably is that I am lucky enough to be surrounded by like-minded people who understand and value high quality stuff. Furthermore, they understand 'the right tool for the job' idea. All of my friends and associates wouldn't hesitate to cover the full value of something that was in their posession without even being asked to do so.

I am privileged to be blessed with great friends. I return that privilege by helping them in any way that I am able to.

Last edited:

SmeServer

Newly Enlightened
So years ago when my Surefire 6p was brand new (to me) a colleague borrowed it. He was having problems filling the tank on his truck as there was some metal protective sheets in the way and whilst we chatting it suddenly went dark followed by a deep 'clunk' and him swearing.

He wondered off to get the long neck tool extraction thingy from the workshop and after getting it out I held onto it as well as the metal plates so he could carry on filling the 500 litre diesel tank.

Once done we found some suitable cleaning solutions and used that, but I didn't switch it off as I wasn't sure how watertight it was, so left it on. It soon flattened the CR123 in it and he grabbed me one from his truck, as they were used on one of the remote control panels.

It did create a nice glow in the fuel tank while it was in there :D :D When I next saw him in the yard some months later he had had a 24v work lamp set up near the tank and some straps to hold the sheeting up so he could see what he was doing.

Torch survived, still in use today. Took ages to get that diesel smell out though :(