A thread for new arrivals and etc.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Post your newly acquired incans and related items here!

I went to a small gun show today and found a surefire belt holster and a belt loop holster for a few bucks. The guy had the 3c mag for $3, I checked it out and put it down, then he offered $2. I said sure. It's clean inside with just a little corrosion on the spring. I got some new cells, cleaned up the spring and she fires right up. It has a pr base bulb.

B0CED11A-387F-40B4-9D2B-5BD00D2E085C.jpeg

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The guy had the 3c mag for $3, I checked it out and put it down, then he offered $2. I said sure. It's clean inside with just a little corrosion on the spring.

ingredients for reasonably easy hotwire:

I believe the body may need bored slightly to fit the cells. So you get a dowel, wrap sandpaper around it and try to be consistent. My understanding is it doesn't take much work because the inner diameter only needs adjusted by a couple mm if that. May also want to use drain cleaner to remove anodizing from inside of the tail cap, then solder the spring to the cap and run a bypass wire from the cap to the top of the spring. When complete, the light won't be absurdly bright, maybe 330Lm (educated guess, may even be as much as twice as bright as that), and you'll have 4 hours of runtime. Conversely, you can choose one of fivemega's other potted lamps that take 4 Li-ion cells for brighter light and much less runtime using 4x 26500 lower capacity cells if you can source them.

Disclaimer: I have no experience hotwiring vintage Mags, but I've been doing a lot research over the last month.

Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
ingredients for reasonably easy hotwire:

I believe the body may need bored slightly to fit the cells. So you get a dowel, wrap sandpaper around it and try to be consistent. My understanding is it doesn't take much work because the inner diameter only needs adjusted by a couple mm if that. May also want to use drain cleaner to remove anodizing from inside of the tail cap, then solder the spring to the cap and run a bypass wire from the cap to the top of the spring. When complete, the light won't be absurdly bright, maybe 330Lm (educated guess, may even be as much as twice as bright as that), and you'll have 4 hours of runtime. Conversely, you can choose one of fivemega's other potted lamps that take 4 Li-ion cells for brighter light and much less runtime using 4x 26500 lower capacity cells if you can source them.

Disclaimer: I have no experience hotwiring vintage Mags, but I've been doing a lot research over the last month.

Thanks for all that info. I was trying to find some options for modding.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all that info. I was trying to find some options for modding.

My pleasure! At least all the studying and searching I did might be good for something. The beauty of that recipe is the insane runtime, and that your cells will never leak and ruin your light. btw, here's a 3 channel 2A charger for an insane price, which I think can fit all three cells at once. But I'm not entirely positive. The expensive pieces are the cell extender, only one I could find for C and it's in AU, and the cells, which gets pricy because you'd probably want six to have one swap. Those cells are probably awesome, if Keeppower's IMR18650 & IMR18350 cells are any indicator. I'm dying to figure out a way to need those cells, myself. Also, I thought I bought the last two potted WA-01185U that fivemega had. If he didn't forget to update his inventory and is just limiting purchases to two per customer, you should get two, because though the runtime will drop to an hour and 40 minutes, WA1185 is 1200Lm and really beautiful.

Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Don't mod that Mag, it's an older model like the ones I collect. Not to mention no repair parts left. I'd trade you a newer 3C if you want a modding host.

I wont be doing any mods that would require permanently altering this light, just some simple stuff. How can you tell it's an older model, and what are the differences between it and a newer one?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
21700 cells in a sleeve made from plastic irrigation tubing work well. I have a FM extra deep tailcap on a 2c that enables me to use 2 of them. With a one cell extension on a 3 c you could fit 3 of them.
Or just see if you can dig up any old ROP bulbs.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
21700 cells in a sleeve made from plastic irrigation tubing work well. I have a FM extra deep tailcap on a 2c that enables me to use 2 of them. With a one cell extension on a 3 c you could fit 3 of them.
Or just see if you can dig up any old ROP bulbs.
This is a better idea, since ABTOMAT is getting upset. With 21700 cells, you won't need to bore and nothing is permanently altered. Whenever ABTOMAT visits, you can restore it to original, then re-hotwire it when he goes home and isn't watching. He'll never know.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pretty awesome. Nice to have a cheap beater like that 3C around. Makes you wonder why someone even bothers to sell something potentially very useful for two or three dollars.

Can't even buy an energy drink or a gallon of gas for that nowadays. The batteries will cost more than you paid for the light.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
That's pretty awesome. Nice to have a cheap beater like that 3C around. Makes you wonder why someone even bothers to sell something potentially very useful for two or three dollars.

Can't even buy an energy drink or a gallon of gas for that nowadays. The batteries will cost more than you paid for the light.

I had to buy two 2 packs of batteries for $5.50 a piece to see if it worked and that it was worth upgrading. Worth it to me, but for most people I can understand why they wouldn't want to buy expensive batteries to use a light that's easily surpassed by modern tech.

I'll likely be going the 18650 route since I already have quite a few of them.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wont be doing any mods that would require permanently altering this light, just some simple stuff. How can you tell it's an older model, and what are the differences between it and a newer one?
Later incan C they moved head o-ring from inside head bore to the body making it easier to remove and install.. Mag also did a switch change, I think that was around 2001-'03. Later model C incan have been discontinued as of a few years ago

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the C format. I don't understand why it's not a bigger thing these days.

I remember AW tried to do it, but there were complications.

rrego

Enlightened
This is a better idea, since ABTOMAT is getting upset. With 21700 cells, you won't need to bore and nothing is permanently altered. Whenever ABTOMAT visits, you can restore it to original, then re-hotwire it when he goes home and isn't watching. He'll never know.
Cracked me up 😆 it's a good plan

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Not long ago Maglite had 2C and 3C incan's in the clearance section. There's no clearance section there today. But I bought a 2C there summer of 22 for $12.
Heck, even zbattery doesn't show incan C cell Maglites aside from the ML25. I struck out at Amazon too. It's like they all just disappeared one day.
Weird.
4C? You can find those all over the place.

A fun, reversable mod is get 1" pvc schedule 80 pipe for a gap filler, 2 18650 batteries and a 6 cell bulb for a nice incan thrower. About 175 or so lumens. It's like a 7C in a smaller package.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
But I bought a 2C there summer of 22 for $12.

What color? I'm going after a 2C. I'm convinced the mislabeled black one I showed you recently is a 2C, as I finally was able to make out the serial, which begins, "C2..."
j1lKLID_d.webp

it's not a very short list.

I've got a million of them... and they all stink.

Last edited: