A2 tune up thread

Roood

Newly Enlightened
I know this is an old thread. But I just got a C2 LED Centurion (80 lumens). How do I remove the clip and tune it up or what? Any know the size of the o-rings used on this light?

Please help. :(

TIA -

john-paul

Newly Enlightened
I know this is an old thread. But I just got a C2 LED Centurion (80 lumens). How do I remove the clip and tune it up or what? Any know the size of the o-rings used on this light?

Please help. :(

TIA -

Just unscrew the head, take off the o-ring and tap out the pocket clip if you don't want it on. The other way to remove it is to slip your lanyard through and pull it off. As far as O-rings- if it's new, you don't need any extra. If one does happen to break or stretch, just contact Surefire and you'll have one in no time, for free.

Roood

Newly Enlightened
Just unscrew the head, take off the o-ring and tap out the pocket clip if you don't want it on. The other way to remove it is to slip your lanyard through and pull it off. As far as O-rings- if it's new, you don't need any extra. If one does happen to break or stretch, just contact Surefire and you'll have one in no time, for free.

Hi John, Thank You for the reply. I'm currently located in Singapore right now for contractual work. I doubt SF would send an o-ring here for free. But there are tons of stores here selling really good o-rings, that I get the size of the o-rings used just in case. Also I want to remove the rubber grip on it, whats the best way to do it and any suggestions on what to put in its place?

TIA

- Rod

TIA

briteflite

Newly Enlightened
Just got a new A2 this week and one of the yellow/green LEDs is not lighting up. Tried gently tightening the hold-down screws for the LED ring, but no joy. Is there something else i can try, or is it time to talk to Surefire about warranty repair? Thanks for gathering up all the great info in this thread.

Update: Surefire said send it back to them.

Last edited:

briteflite

Newly Enlightened
Just got a new A2 this week and one of the yellow/green LEDs is not lighting up. Tried gently tightening the hold-down screws for the LED ring, but no joy. Is there something else i can try, or is it time to talk to Surefire about warranty repair? Thanks for gathering up all the great info in this thread.

Update: Surefire said send it back to them.

Got the A2 back from Surefire this week ... but the LED's are now bright green, not the dimmer yellow/green. Strange ...

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Briteflite,
Surefire would have been depleting their A2 spare parts inventory ever since the model was discontinued, and it's possible that they never even had any spare yellow/green leds sitting around – that they used them all up on the 'rings'. They do, however, have green leds that they are using for one of the versions of the A2L. That's probably why you got the green led replacements.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Briteflite,
Surefire would have been depleting their A2 spare parts inventory ever since the model was discontinued, and it's possible that they never even had any spare yellow/green leds sitting around – that they used them all up on the 'rings'. They do, however, have green leds that they are using for one of the versions of the A2L. That's probably why you got the green led replacements.

The LED's that the A2L uses are vastly different than the Incan A2's, so that's not what happened. Either they didn't have anymore yellow/green led's left over, or someone at surefire made a mistake and installed green led's. If not happy I would contact surefire and explain the situation. This isn't the first time I've heard of someone sending something into surefire and recieving something completly different back in return, example, I've heard of people sending in HA tailcap's and getting typeII black one's in return:shrug:

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Got the A2 back from Surefire this week ... but the LED's are now bright green, not the dimmer yellow/green. Strange ...

Briteflite,

:eek:oo: - I think the Kroma Milspec still uses YG LEDs and has not (yet?) been discontinued, but it is certainly possible that SF may no longer have A2-YG rings left for spare parts and repairs.

It may certainly be worth recontacting SF Customer Service to inquire, but if you still have no luck, you could always ask calipsoii to build a ring for you with yellow-green LEDs. According to his thread here on CPF, the Y/G is $22 + $7 shipping, and is in stock (at least as of the time of his last update).

Good luck!

briteflite

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've got two of calipsoii'srings sitting on my desk so the green led's are gonna be replaced real soon with warm white and a red ring is going to replace the yellow/green.

tlyon1022

Newly Enlightened
Really nice thread about the A2. I absolutely love mine, but I'm selling it to head over to an A2L.
If anyone is interested here's the sales link:

[pointer link removed - DM51]

Last edited by a moderator:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious -- does anyone know of a source for LED replacements for the incandescent bulb?

There are no led replacements for the A2. I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but for the life of me I can not understand why so many keep asking for an led replacement for the A2. Here you have a fully regulated, soft starting, 100 CRI incandescent light that puts out one of the most beautifully white beams you will ever see on any flashlight, yet we still see this question coming up time and time again. I know lights and led technology have come a long way since the A2's days, but I feel it puts out one of the most gorgeously white beams in existence. If one can't appreciate what the A2 does so well and want to upgrade it to an led, then the A2 is not for you.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no led replacements for the A2. I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but for the life of me I can not understand why so many keep asking for an led replacement for the A2.

I'm with you, I bought mine BECAUSE it is a regulated incan - great in the greens & browns of the woods and for the size it has impressive throw. I'm going camping in a week and a half and I'll take several lights - including my A2.

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
The A2 is revered for its particular qualities, and rightly so. It is a truly unique design.

To see what's needed to convert (!) an A2 to LED see this thread. You'll gain insight into why the change is non-trivial, although it doesn't go into the horrors of extracting the driver module. Unless you're quite skilled, if you want an A2 with an LED as the primary light engine, I'd suggest buying an A2L. Don't expect to buy a ready-to-go solution you can just drop in to an incan A2.

- Syncytial.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wanting to put an LED inside the A2 is kind of like buying a mona lisa painting and wanting to paint a mustache on her.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno, I think it'd be kind of cool to have an LED dropin to be honest, so long as it kept the LVR intact.

Being able to drop a bulb in when you're feeling like some crisp white incan light, or taking it out and dropping an LED in when you want some extended runtimes would be pretty neat. Plus you could have dropins with all kinds of emitters on them, maybe a cool or a neutral white XP-G, or even better, a Nichia 119 H1?

My 6P's see all different kinds of dropins depending on how I'm feeling. Sometimes a P60 bulb does the trick and other times I want a Kerberos Quad. Lego'ing is fun and I'm going to miss it when SF finishes their conversion to the sealed head line-up.

Before you call me a heathen though, I did say a dropin solution that leaves the existing LVR intact - I've no desire to permanently convert my incan A2's to A2L's. :)

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno, I think it'd be kind of cool to have an LED dropin to be honest, so long as it kept the LVR intact.

Being able to drop a bulb in when you're feeling like some crisp white incan light, or taking it out and dropping an LED in when you want some extended runtimes would be pretty neat. Plus you could have dropins with all kinds of emitters on them, maybe a cool or a neutral white XP-G, or even better, a Nichia 119 H1?

My 6P's see all different kinds of dropins depending on how I'm feeling. Sometimes a P60 bulb does the trick and other times I want a Kerberos Quad. Lego'ing is fun and I'm going to miss it when SF finishes their conversion to the sealed head line-up.

Before you call me a heathen though, I did say a dropin solution that leaves the existing LVR intact - I've no desire to permanently convert my incan A2's to A2L's. :)

The A2 already has a set of LED's if you want extended runtime. The incandescent lamp combined with the regulation and soft start is what makes the A2 unique and so wonderful, but once the bulb is swapped out and replaced with an LED you are essentially turning a very unique and wonderful flashlight in something that is just plain and ordinary.