>> AAA/AA NiMH Capacity CPF Member Tested - Please Participate - Now with Summary <<

Newuser01

Enlightened
Re: >> AAA & AA Capacities as Tested - Please Participate! <<

Lenmar Nomempro. Dark blue/light blue wrapings. 2000 mAh rated.

Testing cicle (3 times) 1000Charge/500Discharge. BC-900

These are pretty new and proly have about 10 cycles on them. But really really bad showing. Guess you get what you pay for! And 3 testing cycles fails to bring up the capacity. I doubt that they will improve with re-fresh cycle at all but will give it a try.

:mad::mad::mad:

Regards.

InfidelCastro

Banned

Newuser01 said:
Duracell 2650 mAh. AA (Green and black cells). About 10 cycles on these cells. BC-900 - test mode 1000C/500DC.

2.72 , 2.76 , 2.64 , 2.73

Good!

Are you serious??? That's better than the Powerex 2700's..

And they have shelves and shelves of them at Walmart. And I don't have to pay shipping..

Hmm.. Duracell rocks. I should have known.

The much touted Sanyo 2700's are actually starting to look pathetic. That and with their apparent higher then normal discharge rate and cell failures..

Newuser01

Enlightened

InfidelCastro: This is the only set I have. I'm planning to pick up more for my digicam. But you should see my other cells that are so ..........:rant::ohgeez::mad:
See above post above your's.
Regards.

djtrackie

Newly Enlightened

InfidelCastro said:
Are you serious??? That's better than the Powerex 2700's..

And they have shelves and shelves of them at Walmart. And I don't have to pay shipping..

Hmm.. Duracell rocks. I should have known.

The much touted Sanyo 2700's are actually starting to look pathetic. That and with their apparent higher then normal discharge rate and cell failures..

I thought the Duracells were made by Sanyo?

I say that because I have the duracells and while they are tested to at or above their capacity. The discharge rate is quite ridiculous. I can't give any exact data on it, but let's just say that if I let them sit for a couple of days. They will need to be charged up quite a bit to be full again.

paulr

Flashaholic

How about putting this on the wiki so it's easy to consolidate stuff and update.

InfidelCastro

Banned

djtrackie said:
I thought the Duracells were made by Sanyo?

I say that because I have the duracells and while they are tested to at or above their capacity. The discharge rate is quite ridiculous. I can't give any exact data on it, but let's just say that if I let them sit for a couple of days. They will need to be charged up quite a bit to be full again.

All the NIMH batteries I've had have pretty high discharge rates.

Do you have access to a voltmeter or something so you can read us the voltage after a couple days? What charger do you use? If I don't use batteries for more than three days I generally charge them up again.

If I know I'm not going to be using batteries for at least a few days I put them in the freezer. This slows down the discharge rate in NIMH batteries greatly. Turns them into Eneloops.

Newuser01

Enlightened

Okay. 1 more set. BC-900 1000 c/500 d. Refresh.
Energizer 1850 AA Silver color cells.
Hmmmm.....
A Little note: on high discharge rates. There have been a lot of talk about this in other threads. For me, I just top them off approporate for what I will be doing. Say, photo shooting with my digicam, I will load a topped of set in camera and extra topped off set in camera bag. For flash light use, just cycle batteries with topped off cells every 2 or 3 weeks at the max.That's just me! :grin2:

Regards.

Last edited:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast

evan9162 said:
Energizer 2100mAh NiMHs, 3.5 years old.

Cycled on a Triton, one cell at a time (took a couple days)
Charge and discharge rate were both 1A,
charge termination dV/dT = 3mV
discharge to 0.9V

Code:
cell	Chg	Dsch	Vavg	datecode
1	1854	1740	1.12	0305
2	1929	1832	1.13	0305
3	1884	1789	1.11	none
4	1869	1764	1.10	none
5	1789	1657	1.16	0305
6	1748	1634	1.11	0305

These cells were used intermittently in a Lux V mag mod at 750mA, often stored in a hot or cold garage and allowed to self discharge for a few weeks at a time on a regular basis. As you can see, the output voltage is quite low, indicating high internal resistance. These cells are probably at the end of their useful life.

Here are the same cells, but charged at C/10 for 14 hours, then discharged at 400mA (C/5)

Code:
cell	IEC Dsg	Vavg
1	1922	1.17
2	1815	1.18
3	1835	1.18
4	1821	1.17
5	1663	1.21
6	1771	1.17

modest improvment for some, large for one. Interesting that the lowest capacity cell retains the highest voltage during discharge.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

I finally completed the break-in results on my Assia 1250 mAh AAAs:

Assia_1250.gif

Of course they're nowhere near their rated capacity but they're pretty close to the best available AAA cells. Also their self-discharge is very decent-in roughly 3 months they only lost about 20% (the few that lost more were probably because I put them in something for testing).

Self-discharge results were at 500 mA on the C9000. The BC-900 capacity tests were done at 200 mA discharge. After the cells were full I let them trickle for about 12 hours and then I repeaked them twice before finally doing the capacity test in "test" mode. The capacity results on the C9000 were done using "break-in" with an entered capacity of 1000 mAh so that the discharge current was the same as my BC-900 tests.

I plan to eventually test the accuracy of my two BC-900s by discharging cells on the C9000, putting them through a forming charge, letting them rest an hour, and finally discharging them on the BC-900. This will ensure the same charging algorithm and initial conditions on both chargers. Any capacity difference will be due to error on the BC-900. Once the error for each slot is known, I can correct for it by adjusting the current sense resistors for that slot.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Jtr,

Your self discharge rates are very interesting. All except for cell #10 are more in line with the low self discharge rate cells. Cell #10 seems "normal" for regular cells after 90 days of storage.

Tom

gdhumphreys

Newly Enlightened

For anyone interested, I just updated post #11 with my test results of the Powerex 2700 mAh NiMH cells. Next on the list are the Duracell 2650 mAh NiMH AA cells.

Greg

jtr1962

Flashaholic

SilverFox said:
Hello Jtr,

Your self discharge rates are very interesting. All except for cell #10 are more in line with the low self discharge rate cells. Cell #10 seems "normal" for regular cells after 90 days of storage.

Tom
Hi Tom,

I think I used cell #10 in an Arc AAA for a little while. Some of the other cells with lower numbers also may have been briefly used. I'm as surprised as you by these results. I was going to order some Eneloop AAAs for things like TV remotes but these Assias may work almost as well at 1/3 the price. BTW, they were stored in my basement workroom. Temps over the last three months down there have averaged ~65°F.

bcwang

Enlightened

I'll add to it as I do more new cells. I have a bunch of data on old cells but it doesn't mean much since I can't remember how old those cells are, so I'll only post data for new cells.

MH-C9000 in break-in mode:

Tenergy 1000 AAA - 824mah, 823mah, 840mah, 811mah

Tenergy 2600 AA - 2130mah, 2116mah, 2101mah, 2047mah

Wow, so far it looks like Tenergy sucks.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

With the exception of many more eneloops, most of my testing is done (post #1)

jtr1962

Flashaholic

Here are the results for the LaCrosse cells:

LaCrosse_700.gif

LaCrosse_2000.gif

The AAAs are somewhat closer to their ratings than the AAs and also fairly closely matched. I can't even get a matched pair of AAs let alone a set of 4. :(

not2bright

Enlightened

I have my ROV Hybrid 800mAh AAA's in process now. So far on the AA's 7 out of 8 exceeded the rated capacity and the 8th cell is only 7mAh below the rated capacity (see post #8 in this thread). Can't wait to see how the AAA's come out and how these cells do in long term testing.

I have nearly wiped out the stock of Hybrids at my nearest Wally World. Time to branch out my search while the $5 off coupons are still good. It seems that $3.97/four pack with coupon these are a good deal.

Last edited:

Mike abcd

Enlightened

jtr1962 said:
Here are the results for the LaCrosse cells:

LaCrosse_700.gif

LaCrosse_2000.gif

The AAAs are somewhat closer to their ratings than the AAs and also fairly closely matched. I can't even get a matched pair of AAs let alone a set of 4. :(

Try running them through a few charge/discharge cycles and they'll probably get closer in capacity. That's what happened with the ones I got with the BC-900. IMHO, not great but not terrible cells. I'm still using them in some low drain use and they've held up pretty well.

Mike

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

FROM HERE ON OUT, PLEASE DO NOT UPDATE YOUR POST. ADD A NEW POST WITH THE NEW BATTERIES YOU TESTED.

I will do my best to keep a summary of everybody's results and add it to my lead post. Sometimes this will appear as new results, other times the average will move a little. Either way, I'll look for future posts to update the data.

:grin2:

Last edited:

not2bright

Enlightened
Re: >> AAA/AA NiMH Capacity CPF Member Tested - Please Participate - Now with Summary

This thread is a good candidate for a "Threads of interest" sticky in this forum.

Everyone can post results and have them added to the averages. In the end everyone can get a good idea of the performance of XYZ cells from a good cross section of samples.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts