Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to the GtG & consider it a donation to flashlight science.

p.s. It has the Minimag module in it currently.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet! Pricing that even my wife can't complain about. Yes, all in the name of science. I'll even name it after you if you want unless you want a specific name for it.

I'm envisioning an MC-E wired 4S, Ledil optic, copper/aluminum hybrid heatsink, TaskLED MaxFlex driver, two big Li-Ion cells. Should be fun! :devil:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I am giving up the Spheres. It just eats up too much of my time and I neglected other important things in my life.

I want to thank MrGman for his help and everybody else on this forum for sending in lights and contributing info/data for the testing. I will update the 1st page with a bunch of lights that I still havent put up there. They are mainly the quarks and other low lumen lights.

Plus; Ti-Force does a way way better job using an identical Sphere with those fancy mancy pictures:whistle:

Thank you,
Jose

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I am giving up the Spheres. It just eats up too much of my time and I neglected other important things in my life.

I want to thank MrGman for his help and everybody else on this forum for sending in lights and contributing info/data for the testing. I will update the 1st page with a bunch of lights that I still havent put up there. They are mainly the quarks and other low lumen lights.

Plus; Ti-Force does a way way better job using an identical Sphere with those fancy mancy pictures:whistle:

Thank you,
Jose

BLASPHEMY!!! It's blasphemy I tell you! (j/k :) ) But BigC, at least think on it for a couple of days, and then maybe a couple more days. I understand where you're coming from though, and you of all people know what's best for yourself, but at least hang on to it for a while before you part with it. You know you'll get a light every now and then that you just gotta know what it makes OTF :poke:.....:poke:......:candle:

BTW, even with my fancy schmancy pictures, I still haven't put in the amount of time and effort that you have by testing all of those lights. You've done an outstanding job :clap:...:clap:...:clap:...:clap::clap:...:clap:...:clap:...:clap:...:clap:...:clap:

But seriously, just take a break without parting with it and really give it some thought. You know how much trouble it is to get this kind of accuracy.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Wow, big shocking statement! Are you checking into a Sphere rehab? :devil:

Just kidding, Good call, glad you are still aware of the right priorities.

Thanks for all the measurements done.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hi all,

Thank you,
Jose

Nobody does a better job than you.
I'll really miss your work.
I hope you'll still have time to post once in a while. You've helped me out on several occasions.

Thanks Jose

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
bigchelis:

Congrats on returning to a "normal" life. Unfortunately your testing will be sorely missed by all at CPF...

Thanks for all your time and effort!

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jose,

I've been thinking more about this situation and I can see where all of this has taken a toll on your personal life. Something I've noticed is how our work is appreciated by a lot of people, but it's almost like certain individuals expect it, almost like they think its owed to them or something :shakehead.

Anyway, I've learned that you can't please everyone, and you'll run yourself crazy (and destroy your personal life) trying to. If you decide to keep the sphere, just remember that it's your choice what you test. If there's a light that you want to test, test it. If you only want to test for OTF lumens and not Lux, then do that. In the end, the decision is yours and I've found that it's more enjoyable if you test what YOU want to test and not everything that everyone wants you to test. I mean, after all, we're not getting paid to do any of this, in fact it's actually an expense, and it ends up costing us money to share these results.

Best of luck either way.

Last edited:

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thought I would offer to be the west coast sphere man if you were interested in me care taking the measuring for a bit.

Travis

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a last minute light that I tested. It was an XR-E R2 EZ900 purchased from DX on a 20mm board here: Item number 15943
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15943

I purchased 4 of these Stars for testing if they actually can throw. They can throw, but since I got them from DX its likely a low bin Q5 or worse.

Sample 1: Nailbender helped me out and put it inside a D26 P60 drop-in with a 1.3A driver. It does 210 OTF and drops a little bit. I didnt take the lux and I couldnt tell which threw further when compared to an Dereelight XR-E R2 EZ100. The hotspot was a tiny bit smaller in doors.

Sample 2: Nailbender put it in a KT-1 Tower for me, with the same 1.3A driver as the P60 drop-in. This one made barely 150 OTF and dropped really fast from there. The lux were equally disapointing at just 4,125 at 1 meter.

Sample 3: I had some extra parts and PCC helped me assemble this set-up. Its just a 2D LED Rebel light. We used a aluminum heatsink left-over from the SSR-90 testing and as you can imagine the lumens were alot better. I got 247.7 turn-on and then the lumens hovered around 220 for the next 3 minutes. The kicker is the Rebel Deep Mag Reflector focuses the beam really well into a tiny tight super intense hotspot. I got 57,500 lux at 1m. I think this is definitely more throw then XR-E R2 Aspherics I have had in the past.

Sample 4: was donated to PCC for???

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sample 4: was donated to PCC for???
I still haven't decided what I want to do with that one, yet. I know that it is best used for a throwerm, but, if you recall, I'm not one for throwers. I just might put it into my TLS TX3 head as that is my only true turbo head so far and it should make it even better for throw, but, I don't know. I guess I can put together a 2D MagLite with the Rebel reflector and go for throw that way.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Thank you,
Jose

Thanks for all the hard work that you did Jose. You put together a big body of work that will be out there for a long time as a great testament to your dedication to shedding truth on the lights. It is a lot of work and I can totally understand the need to step away from it after a while.

Are you selling off the spheres/meter to free yourself to someone who just can't wait to be the new lumen's master? As long as you have them in the house there will always be that guy who wants one more test by special request.

Congratulations on your new found freedom, G.

GoldenF1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for posting this, it really helped me.

Now i need to find the money to buy it with. :ironic:

Thanks for your work again.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the 2D Mag xr-e ez900
82e4f565.jpg

82e4f565.jpg

8d5f8e95.jpg

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light was modded by CPF member Vestureofblood, then sent to me for OTF testing in my 16" sphere system. With permission from BigC, I'm posting my results for this light here.

Light: Surefire E2DL
Emitter: SSR-90
Battery: 2- AW IMR 16340's
Battery Voltage: Cell #1 = 4.206v; Cell #2 = 4.216v

1 Sec______631.5
30 Sec______603.6
1 Min_______592.7
2 Min_______579.4
3 Min_______570.9

DSC01279.jpg

DSC01281.jpg

DSC01280.jpg

DSC01284.jpg

Last edited:

Anto

Enlightened
That is BAD ***. DD I'm assuming? What's realistic runtime on that?

Jose - Thanks for all your time & effort! Your work is greatly appreciated!

sfca

Enlightened
This light was modded by CPF member Vestureofblood, then sent to me for OTF testing in my 16" sphere system. With permission from BigC, I'm posting my results for this light here.

Light: Surefire E2DL
Emitter: SSR-90
Battery: 2- AW IMR 16340's
Battery Voltage: Cell #1 = 4.206v; Cell #2 = 4.216v

1 Sec______631.5
30 Sec______603.6
1 Min_______592.7
2 Min_______579.4
3 Min_______570.9

Beautiful! The specs don't show too much drop but it must get hot.