All night race

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: I am a dumba**. Didn't source and prep the right batteries. Protection circuit tripped instantly. My fault for not using the proper juice.

Use unprotected matched 18650x4 button top for M43. Argh! Time to wait some more for batteries. Efest Purples. Grr.

mikkowus

Newly Enlightened
Update: I am a dumba**. Didn't source and prep the right batteries. Protection circuit tripped instantly. My fault for not using the proper juice.

Use unprotected matched 18650x4 button top for M43. Argh! Time to wait some more for batteries. Efest Purples. Grr.

Thanks for the heads up. I got myself 3 sets of unprotected batteries and a nitecore i4 (2014 version) charger. The batteries I got were a set of LG 18650MH1 3200mAh - Button Top Unprotected batteries, then a set of LG INR18650-HG2 High drain batteries, and a set of Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh Button Top Unprotected batteries.

The i4 charger might be slow charging LG INR batteries but we shall see. I'm giving a set to another team so I have 2 sets to chose from.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm giving a set to another team so I have 2 sets to chose from.

Good plan, sometimes when I get a new light I have to play "musical batteries" until I find out what it likes. Not all DOA are actually dead. User error is a major issue.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Poop.

Scratch that one off my list. Sample size of 1, Yes. But they could of turned it on before putting it in the box.

It also doesn't list impact distance, which I don't prefer. Very cool looking light though.

Poop.

Scratch the scratch off my scratch list. Sample user of 1, Yes. But he could have read the directions before taking it out of the box.

He did mention unprotected cells which I don't prefer. Very cool looking Avatar though.

hahahaha

mikkowus

Newly Enlightened
Poop.

Scratch the scratch off my scratch list. Sample user of 1, Yes. But he could have read the directions before taking it out of the box.

He did mention unprotected cells which I don't prefer. Very cool looking Avatar though.

hahahaha

Weird. I got a nitecore intelicharger i4 2014 version and charged some LG INR18650-HG2 High drain batteries. They are supposed to be 65.20 mm and they look like they are button topped but the thing doesn't seem to want to turn on.

mikkowus

Newly Enlightened
button topped... flat topped, it shouldn't matter. Did you check to make sure the wire is tightly inserted into the charger?

BTW... it IS a SLOW charger :(

So, I added a piece of wire to the top of one of the batteries and it lights up. I guess it needs taller ones. I probably added about 1 mm.

EDIT: I did a little research and these definitely don't look like button top batteries. Mystery solved.

Last edited:

mikkowus

Newly Enlightened
in other news. I got hte light with XP-G2 S4 2B bulbs. I plan on running the thing all night at the brightest setting I can. So it needs to run at like 9 hours at the highest setting it can. What would be your guess as a good setting and the lumen output for that bulb? Could I have gotten a better bulb for the job?

For example, If I run the thing at 1.5 amps with a set of 4*3400 mAh Panasonic batteries (math would be (4*3400)/1.5=9066)~9hrs) what lumen output would I be getting? Could I have gotten a more efficient bulb? Here is the cree wiki chart http://flashlightwiki.com/Cree#XP-G2

Poppy

Flashaholic
a cree XM-L2 U2 will deliver 580 lumens @ 1.5 amps
a cree XP G2 S3 will deliver 488 lumens @ 1.5 amps.

So the XM-L2 will deliver more lumens and is a bit more effecient.
The XP G2 is a smaller die emitter and will throw further with fewer lumens (typically)

The driver will determine how close you can come to 1.5 amps delivered, which will determine your run-time.

mikkowus

Newly Enlightened
a cree XM-L2 U2 will deliver 580 lumens @ 1.5 amps
a cree XP G2 S3 will deliver 488 lumens @ 1.5 amps.

So the XM-L2 will deliver more lumens and is a bit more effecient.
The XP G2 is a smaller die emitter and will throw further with fewer lumens (typically)

The driver will determine how close you can come to 1.5 amps delivered, which will determine your run-time.

Good math. But the meteor has 12 bulbs and from what I can see they get more efficient at lower amps. They would each be running at 125 ma . the ld75c we could use as well has 4 xm-l2 u2 bulbs and they would be running at 375 ma each . I can't find a chart with amps/lumens that low but from what I can see from graphs they get more efficient and the light with the xp-g2 s4 might get more lumens with its 12 bulbs. I would love to know for sure.